04 May 2012
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
From: Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
- 0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:
- A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault. If you think this overview has occurred, use !thread to determine the stack limits, and then use kb (Display Stack Backtrace) with a large parameter (for example, kb 100) to display the full stack.
- A hardware problem.
Do the following hardware checks.
- If you are overclocking any hardware, please stop.
- Monitor temperatures during the following tests.
Use the following programs to monitor the temperatures.
- Run the boot version of Memtest86+ paying close attention to Parts 2 and 3 of the tutorial. Also, in case Memtest86+ misses anything and comes up with no errors, run the extended version of the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool for at least five passes. These you may want to run overnight since they take a long time to complete (run them an hour before bed each of the next two nights and check before going to sleep that they are still running).
For Part 3: If You Have Errors: If you swap any memory components, follow these steps for ESD safety:
Once these steps have been followed, it is safe to remove and replace components within your computer.
- Shut down and turn off your computer.
- Unplug all power supplies to the computer (AC Power then battery for laptops, AC power for desktops)
- Hold down the power button for 30 seconds to close the circuit and ensure all power drains from components.
- Make sure you are grounded by using proper grounding techniques, i.e. work on an anti-static workbench, anti-static desk, or an anti-static pad. Hold something metallic while touching it to the anti-static surface, or use an anti-static wristband to attach to the anti-static material while working.
|My System Specs || |