Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: [BSOD] Some odd complications.

30 Aug 2009   #1

Windows 7 X64 7100
 
 
[BSOD] Some odd complications.

Hi, I'm new here so if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

So, i've been getting BSOD's (A worrying amount) it only really happens while playing games,

Anyway the complication is when i do get a BSOD i get an interference/buzzing noise coming through the speakers and it appears that the BSOD freezes as it creates no minidump, the only minidumps i've been able to collect are ones generated from verifier.exe.

Main games that cause BSOD*:

- Far Cry 2 (Came with GPU)
- Crysis Warhead
- Crysis
- Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
- The Sims 3
- Left 4 Dead

*As stated earlier, When BSOD Minidump is not created.

System:

OS: Windows 7 X64 Build 7100
CPU: Intel Q9550, 2.83 gHz
Motherboard: ASUS P5QSE Plus
Memory: Corsair XMS2 6400C5 (2X2GB)
Graphics Card(s): XFX nVidia GTX260
Sound Card: Onboard audio
Monitor(s) Displays: Samsung MK5 37" | ASUS 21.5"
Screen Resolution: 1360 X 768 | 1920 X 1080
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB | Western Digital Caviar 250GB
PSU: Corsair HX850
Case: Antec Three-Hundred
CPU Cooling: ASUS Silent Knight II

The main BSOD message i recieve is: "IRQL_NOT_LES_OR_EQUAL"

Below i have tried to include all i can:

- Minidumps from verifier.exe (One more that was created by chance)
- DxDiag
- Photo's of BSOD's.

(On a side note, i haven't touched the clock speeds of the Memory, CPU or GPU)

If anymore info is needed i will be happy to provide.

Thanks,
Matt.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Aug 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSkipper View Post
Hi, I'm new here so if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

So, i've been getting BSOD's (A worrying amount) it only really happens while playing games,

Anyway the complication is when i do get a BSOD i get an interference/buzzing noise coming through the speakers and it appears that the BSOD freezes as it creates no minidump, the only minidumps i've been able to collect are ones generated from verifier.exe.

Main games that cause BSOD*:

- Far Cry 2 (Came with GPU)
- Crysis Warhead
- Crysis
- Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
- The Sims 3
- Left 4 Dead

*As stated earlier, When BSOD Minidump is not created.

System:

OS: Windows 7 X64 Build 7100
CPU: Intel Q9550, 2.83 gHz
Motherboard: ASUS P5QSE Plus
Memory: Corsair XMS2 6400C5 (2X2GB)
Graphics Card(s): XFX nVidia GTX260
Sound Card: Onboard audio
Monitor(s) Displays: Samsung MK5 37" | ASUS 21.5"
Screen Resolution: 1360 X 768 | 1920 X 1080
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB | Western Digital Caviar 250GB
PSU: Corsair HX850
Case: Antec Three-Hundred
CPU Cooling: ASUS Silent Knight II

The main BSOD message i recieve is: "IRQL_NOT_LES_OR_EQUAL"

Below i have tried to include all i can:

- Minidumps from verifier.exe (One more that was created by chance)
- DxDiag
- Photo's of BSOD's.

(On a side note, i haven't touched the clock speeds of the Memory, CPU or GPU)

If anymore info is needed i will be happy to provide.

Thanks,
Matt.
Matt

Thanks for the dumps. After taking a quick look at several of them is seems that bs_def.sys is the one comman file I can find. That file is an asus driver and the info on it is pretty sketchy. If I were you I would update all of the asus drivers.

Let us know if that doesn't help

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSkipper View Post
Hi, I'm new here so if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

So, i've been getting BSOD's (A worrying amount) it only really happens while playing games,

Anyway the complication is when i do get a BSOD i get an interference/buzzing noise coming through the speakers and it appears that the BSOD freezes as it creates no minidump, the only minidumps i've been able to collect are ones generated from verifier.exe.

Main games that cause BSOD*:

- Far Cry 2 (Came with GPU)
- Crysis Warhead
- Crysis
- Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
- The Sims 3
- Left 4 Dead

*As stated earlier, When BSOD Minidump is not created.

System:

OS: Windows 7 X64 Build 7100
CPU: Intel Q9550, 2.83 gHz
Motherboard: ASUS P5QSE Plus
Memory: Corsair XMS2 6400C5 (2X2GB)
Graphics Card(s): XFX nVidia GTX260
Sound Card: Onboard audio
Monitor(s) Displays: Samsung MK5 37" | ASUS 21.5"
Screen Resolution: 1360 X 768 | 1920 X 1080
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB | Western Digital Caviar 250GB
PSU: Corsair HX850
Case: Antec Three-Hundred
CPU Cooling: ASUS Silent Knight II

The main BSOD message i recieve is: "IRQL_NOT_LES_OR_EQUAL"

Below i have tried to include all i can:

- Minidumps from verifier.exe (One more that was created by chance)
- DxDiag
- Photo's of BSOD's.

(On a side note, i haven't touched the clock speeds of the Memory, CPU or GPU)

If anymore info is needed i will be happy to provide.

Thanks,
Matt.
It could very well be yet another driver problem or it can be something else.

You say you havn't touched the clock speeds on memory cpu or gpu?

I have to assume that you also have not adjusted your memory timings or voltages in bios to manufacture specs? If not it would wise to do so.

Enthusiast boards often require some memory settings or voltage adjustment to run stable. The Auto settings are seldom correct, expecially the ones relating to the memory settings. Thats what those settings are for in bios so you can set them up manually if needed. And in my experiance it's usually needed with the type of board that you have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Aug 2009   #4

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

looks like the asus chipset driver is the culprit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #5

Windows 7 X64 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
It could very well be yet another driver problem or it can be something else.

You say you havn't touched the clock speeds on memory cpu or gpu?

I have to assume that you also have not adjusted your memory timings or voltages in bios to manufacture specs? If not it would wise to do so.

Enthusiast boards often require some memory settings or voltage adjustment to run stable. The Auto settings are seldom correct, expecially the ones relating to the memory settings. Thats what those settings are for in bios so you can set them up manually if needed. And in my experiance it's usually needed with the type of board that you have.

I have had a look, however i'm stumped, I'll edit this post and upload a photo of the bios, from memory i can remeber i had timing control and when i changed it from auto to manual it had the same timings as it had on the box the RAM came in, the voltage is set to 1.8V.

I'll update the ASUS drivers and get back.


EDIT:

- Updated Chipset from ASUS download, no difference made.

EDIT II:

- Check with Corsair on my RAM modules, Changed clocks from 5-5-5-15 to 5-5-5-15 and upped voltage from 1.8 to 1.9v.

Here are some snaps of the setup in the BIOS:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #6

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

the hardware part is OK. the problem lies with asus chipset drivers. try reinstalling it and see if that helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #7
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Issues with (in this order):
vpcnfltr.sys - Virtual PC Network Filter Driver
klim6.sys - Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter
BS_DEF.sys - seems to be the Default BIOS Flash Driver which is a part of Asus Update

Please note that all of these have networking in common.

6 of the 7 minidumps blame vpcnfltr.sys - and all are Driver Verifier enabled memory dumps
The other one blames BS_DEF.sys and it's a Stop 0x3b: System Service Exception

The 6 also have in common that they were running in the AVP.exe process - a part of Kaspersky. The last one was running in Asus Update.

So, you've got a networking problem here.
What is the state that your system is in when this is happening?
What Virtual Machines are you running - and what are you running in the Virtual Machines?
Have you done any antivirus scans in the Virtual Machines?
How does the Virtual Machine obtain an IP address?
Does it have the same IP address as the main system?

I would suspect that if you were to turn Driver Verifier and your VM's off - that you'd probably solve your BSOD problems. I'd suspect that the problem is with the VM's interaction with your network adapter. The answers to my questions above should let us decide which way to proceed.

Here's a summary of the BSOD's:
Code:
Built by: 7100.0.amd64fre.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700
Debug session time: Sat Aug 29 16:33:24.682 2009 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:33.289
BugCheck C4, {40, 0, fffff980119a44d8, 0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vpcnfltr.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vpcnfltr.sys
Probably caused by : vpcnfltr.sys ( vpcnfltr+28e6 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP
PROCESS_NAME:  avp.exe
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Built by: 7100.0.amd64fre.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700
Debug session time: Sat Aug 29 16:29:03.122 2009 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:31.729
BugCheck C4, {40, 0, fffff98011b904d8, 0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vpcnfltr.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vpcnfltr.sys
Probably caused by : vpcnfltr.sys ( vpcnfltr+28e6 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP
PROCESS_NAME:  avp.exe
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Built by: 7100.0.amd64fre.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700
Debug session time: Sat Aug 29 16:24:18.276 2009 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:32.884
BugCheck C4, {40, 0, fffff980119fa4d8, 0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vpcnfltr.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vpcnfltr.sys
Probably caused by : vpcnfltr.sys ( vpcnfltr+28e6 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP
PROCESS_NAME:  avp.exe
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Built by: 7100.0.amd64fre.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700
Debug session time: Sat Aug 29 16:26:30.162 2009 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:35.160
BugCheck C4, {40, 0, fffff9801175c4d8, 0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vpcnfltr.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vpcnfltr.sys
Probably caused by : vpcnfltr.sys ( vpcnfltr+28e6 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP
PROCESS_NAME:  avp.exe
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Built by: 7100.0.amd64fre.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700
Debug session time: Sat Aug 29 16:22:09.760 2009 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:23.368
BugCheck C4, {40, 0, fffff980119904d8, 0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vpcnfltr.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vpcnfltr.sys
Probably caused by : vpcnfltr.sys ( vpcnfltr+28e6 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP
PROCESS_NAME:  avp.exe
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Built by: 7100.0.amd64fre.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700
Debug session time: Sat Aug 29 16:31:13.340 2009 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:31.338
BugCheck C4, {40, 0, fffff980119dc4d8, 0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vpcnfltr.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vpcnfltr.sys
Probably caused by : vpcnfltr.sys ( vpcnfltr+28e6 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP
PROCESS_NAME:  avp.exe
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Built by: 7100.0.amd64fre.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700
Debug session time: Sun Aug 30 13:32:39.780 2009 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 3:24:12.778
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff8800845e298, fffff8800b49af00, 0}
Probably caused by : BS_DEF.sys ( BS_DEF+2298 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP
PROCESS_NAME:  Update.exe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #8

Windows 7 X64 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
the hardware part is OK. the problem lies with asus chipset drivers. try reinstalling it and see if that helps.
Tried updating the driver with this one: (No Difference made)

Quote:
So, you've got a networking problem here.
What is the state that your system is in when this is happening?
What Virtual Machines are you running - and what are you running in the Virtual Machines?
Have you done any antivirus scans in the Virtual Machines?
How does the Virtual Machine obtain an IP address?
Does it have the same IP address as the main system?
- The system tends to slow down noticably.
- I only installed Virtual PC to see what it does, so i've uninstalled it. I was running 'XP Mode'
- No.
- It obtained it (i guess) over a bridged connection.
- Yes it did.

I've had problems with KAspersky before where kl1.sys was giving me a BSOD however i did a complete reinstall of it and that solved the problem for about two days.

EDIT:

Attempted to play Crysis: Warhead again, got a BSOD and when it goes to dump to disk it hangs at 20%, and the noted buzzing noise continues on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #9
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Which version of Kaspersky? Antivirus or Internet Security?
If it's the Internet Security - download a free antivirus, uninstall the Kaspersky, install the free antivirus and see if you get BSOD's when playing Crysis.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #10

Windows 7 X64 7100
 
 

It's the technical preview (Anti-Vir 6.0) linked to from Microsofts website, i just tried to play after uninstalling it and another BSOD, this one also failed to create a mini dump.

Kaspersky link: http://www.kaspersky.com/windows7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 [BSOD] Some odd complications.





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: [BSOD] Some odd complications.
Thread Forum
Realtek RTL8190 802.11n & SMCWBR14S-N4 CCR Wireless Complications Network & Sharing
Solved Complications with system image recovery onto a new SSD Backup and Restore
Trying to dual boot annoying complications.. General Discussion
Win 7 Freezing / ethernet port complications BSOD Help and Support
Recording sound and it's complications -.-' Sound & Audio
Sound Recorder Complications Sound & Audio
Hard Drive complications Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33