|13 May 2012||#1|
| || |
Windows 7 crashing on start up! Only starts up in Safe Mode
Hi, recently (after a 'critical' update) turning my Laptop on on the startup screen before you enter your password the cursor spins and doesn't show the log in box, it then proceeds to flash continuously (blue and black, not bsod) while not letting me do anything.
I can start the machine up in Safe Mode, but it's now stopped connecting to the internet in safe mode with networking.
I'm running Windows 7 Home x64bit and I'm on a Dell Studio XPS.
I can't system restore and I don't know where my windows boot disk is. (Any idea where I can get another without having to shell out...?)
Cheers for the help.
|My System Specs|
|13 May 2012||#2|
| || |
We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.
Please attach the DMP files to your next post not to post one.
If you are overclocking STOP
You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.
* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 crashing on start up! Only starts up in Safe Mode|
|Starts in normal mode but safe mode goes into startup repair...||System Security|
|Windows 7 starts Mozilla Firefox in safe mode||Browsers & Mail|
|Repeated Crashing of Windows Exp on Start-Up, only opens in safe mode||BSOD Help and Support|
|starts on safe mode but not on normal mode||Performance & Maintenance|
|Nothing starts: Safe Mode can't help me||BSOD Help and Support|
|Windows only starts in safe mode||General Discussion|
|Windows 7 crashing and going to safe mode on it's own||BSOD Help and Support|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.