Remove the ask.com toolbar unless you are attached to it. It is not necessary to have installed and may reduce browser performance.
Your one Verifier Enabled crash was inconclusive, and the other most recent crash was corrupted. A corrupted .dmp file is often the result of hard disk problems, Windows corruption, viruses, or memory corruption.
- If you are overclocking any hardware, please stop.
- Run Disk Check with both boxes checked for all HDDs and with Automatically fix file system errors checked for all SSDs. Post back your logs for the checks after finding them using Check Disk (chkdsk) - Read Event Viewer Log.
For any drives that do not give the message:
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems
run disk check again as above. In other words, if it says:
Windows has made corrections to the file system
after running the disk check, run the disk check again.
- Run the short and long tests with SeaTools.
SeaTools for Windows
SeaTools for DOS
- Check Windows for corruption. Run SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker up to three times to fix all errors with a restart in between each. Post back if it continues to show errors after a fourth run or if the first run comes back with no integrity violations. Use OPTION THREE of SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker to provide us with the sfcdetails.txt file if errors occur.
- Download and install Malwarebytes, update it, do not start the free trial, and then run a full scan. Also run a full scan with your antivirus software installed on your system. If you do not have antivirus software installed, see the Good and Free system security combination. for better security steps and scanning tools. Make sure to update the security software before running the full scan.
- Run the boot version of Memtest86+ paying close attention to Parts 2 and 3 of the tutorial. Also, in case Memtest86+ misses anything and comes up with no errors, run the extended version of the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool for at least five passes. These you may want to run overnight since they take a long time to complete (run them an hour before bed each of the next two nights and check before going to sleep that they are still running).
Before you proceed with the following, answer these two questions: Are you still under warranty? Does your warranty allow you to open up the machine to check hardware?
If you are unsure of the answers to these questions, contact your system manufacturer. WARNING: The steps that follow can void your warranty!!!
For Part 3: If You Have Errors: If you swap any memory components, follow these steps for ESD safety:
Once these steps have been followed, it is safe to remove and replace components within your computer.
- Shut down and turn off your computer.
- Unplug all power supplies to the computer (AC Power then battery for laptops, AC power for desktops)
- Hold down the power button for 30 seconds to close the circuit and ensure all power drains from components.
- Make sure you are grounded by using proper grounding techniques, i.e. work on an anti-static workbench, anti-static desk, or an anti-static pad. Hold something metallic while touching it to the anti-static surface, or use an anti-static wristband to attach to the anti-static material while working. If you do not have an anti-static workbench, desk, or pad, you can use your computer tower/case by finding a metal hold in it, such as a drive bay.
Also, when you enable Verifier, make sure to use the following steps:
- An underlying driver may be incompatible\conflicting with your system. Run Driver Verifier to find any issues. To run Driver Verifier, do the following:
a. Backup your system and user filesThe idea with Verifier is to cause the system to crash, so do the things you normally do that cause crashes. After you have a few crashes, upload the crash reports for us to take a look and try to find patterns.
b. Create a system restore point
c. If you do not have a Windows 7 DVD, Create a system repair disc
d. In Windows 7:
- Click the Start Menu
- Type verifier in Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
- Right click verifier and click Run as administrator
- Put a tick in Create custom settings (for code developers) and click next
- Put a tick in Select individual settings from a full list and click next
- Set up the individual settings as in the image and click next
- Put a tick in Select driver names from a list
- Put a tick next to all non-Microsoft drivers.
- Click Finish.
- Restart your computer.
If Windows cannot start in normal mode with driver verifier running, start in safe mode. If it cannot start in safe mode or normal mode, restore the system restore point using System Restore OPTION TWO.
Thanks to zigzag3143 for contributing to the Verifier steps.
If you are unable to start Windows with all drivers being verified or if the blue screen crashes fail to create .dmp files, run them in groups of 5 or 10 until you find a group that causes blue screen crashes and stores the blue screen .dmp files.
When you are ready to disable Verifier: Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click Command Prompt -> Run as administrator -> Type the following command and then Enter:
verifier /reset-> Restart your computer.
Prior to running Verifier: Please remove any CD/DVD virtualization software, such as Daemon Tools/Alcohol 120%, as they use a driver called sptd.sys that is known to cause BSODs. Use add/remove programs to remove the software. After removing the software, use the sptd.sys uninstaller
to remove sptd.sys from the system.
I prefer TotalMounter
as my CD/DVD virtualization software as it allows me to burn images to a virtual CD/DVD if I just want an ISO file instead of a disc, and it is free.
Many use MagicISO - Convert BIN to ISO, Create, Edit, Burn, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter/extractor/editor
as well, which is also free.