|27 May 2012||#1|
0x0000001e BSOD on Startup
Recently I've been getting this BSOD over and over. It happens about 20 seconds after my computer reaches my desktop when I start up. I happens about 95% of the time I start up my computer. The other 5% it starts up normally w/o any problems. ( Which I think is weird)
I had recently bought a graphic card (check my specs), but I had it for about 2 months before I started getting the BSOD.
I don't know much about computers so I was hoping someone here could help me. I attached a ZIP folder of my DMP files from the Minidump folder.
Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated, Thanks!
|My System Specs|
|27 May 2012||#2|
* Symantec is a frequent cause of BSOD's.
I suggest you remove / replace with Microsoft Security Essentials AT LEAST TO TEST
Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
* These crashes were caused by memory corruption/exception (Cx05) probably a driver.
Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.
* If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!
* If you have a Raid update its Driver.
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5-7 passes.
Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.
Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.
Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.
If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition.
Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is.
But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver.
Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows.
If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.
I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).
In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .
Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation"IRP Logging and Force Pending I/O Requests. and click "Next"
NOTE: You can use Low Resource Simulation if you'd like.
From my limited experimentation it makes the BSOD's come faster.
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.
If you are using win 8 add these
- Concurrency Stress Test
- DDI compliance checking
Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.
If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.
Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.
If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Thanks to JCGriff2 & Usasma.
Driver Reference Table (DRT)
Using Driver Verifier (Windows Drivers)
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: 0x0000001e BSOD on Startup|
|BSOD - 0x0000001E||BSOD Help and Support|
|BSOD after logging in normally. NO BSOD in safe mode. Error 0x0000001e||BSOD Help and Support|
|BSOD 0x0000001e on startup||BSOD Help and Support|
|Random BSOD on startup, error 0x0000001e||BSOD Help and Support|
|BSOD 2 minutes after startup STOP: 0x0000001E||BSOD Help and Support|
|[BSOD] 0x0000001E on startup||BSOD Help and Support|
|BSOD 0x0000001e||BSOD Help and Support|
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.