Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Nvidia Driver Crashed/Not Responding, BSOD

29 Aug 2012   #1
shin89

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 
Nvidia Driver Crashed/Not Responding, BSOD

Hi guys, the issue that I am facing is basically the screen going black at random times, before showing on the taskbar "Nvidia driver not responding", and this would happen a few more times before the system will crash with a BSOD about some nvidia driver file.

This issue seem to surface after I installed a new cpu+mobo (2600k+p67 fatality). I have done a fresh format of my hard disk and did the necessary driver installation for the motherboard etc.

As for the graphics card, I tried installing the latest nvidia drivers and even rolled back to an older Nvidia driver for my 8800GT but the problem still arises.

Here's the crash dump file. I hope someone could decipher it.
082912-66238-01.dmp

I appreciate the time and effort you guys spend in helping me here.
Thanks in advance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Aug 2012   #2
Vir Gnarus

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

For this particular crashdump you brought to our attention the graphics driver you've decided to use is back from May 2009, which predates Windows 7. Can you provide a crashdump from an instance where the driver was most recent?

Other than that, this is a typical TDR fault. This commonly occurs from a failing video card, but graphics driver issues and other factors than cause this behavior as well. Best thing to do first is use the very latest Nvidia drivers for your graphics card (make sure to uninstall previous drivers for it), and then update your motherboard chipset drivers as well as BIOS to latest for that manufacturer. If your new mobo has onboard video, make sure the drivers for that are not installed, as it can conflict.

That's all I can say for now. Go ahead and make those changes and come back if things don't ease up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2012   #3
shin89

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vir Gnarus View Post
For this particular crashdump you brought to our attention the graphics driver you've decided to use is back from May 2009, which predates Windows 7. Can you provide a crashdump from an instance where the driver was most recent?

Other than that, this is a typical TDR fault. This commonly occurs from a failing video card, but graphics driver issues and other factors than cause this behavior as well. Best thing to do first is use the very latest Nvidia drivers for your graphics card (make sure to uninstall previous drivers for it), and then update your motherboard chipset drivers as well as BIOS to latest for that manufacturer. If your new mobo has onboard video, make sure the drivers for that are not installed, as it can conflict.

That's all I can say for now. Go ahead and make those changes and come back if things don't ease up.
Hi thank you for your fast reply!

I've done an uninstall of my previous driver (295.73) restart on safe then did a driver sweeper of nvidia.
Now I'm currently on the latest driver (301.42) but the crash still persists.

Motherboard chipset drivers are latest from the ASRock website.

Here are the recent logs that might help: Shin89.zip
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Aug 2012   #4
Vir Gnarus

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Does your power supply have the capacity to support your new CPU? Don't forget that a PSU's wattage output will degrade with each year of use. If your PSU is having a hard time generating power with the new CPU installed, you may see some unusual problems as devices will not receive all the power they need.

Other things you can do right now is to remove your video card, check and clean up the slot that it was installed in, and re-seat it. Also if the card has an auxiliary power connection of some sort on it, make sure you've attached that to your motherboard properly as well. If all that goes well and you still have problems, you may just have a bad mobo and will have to RMA it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2012   #5
shin89

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vir Gnarus View Post
Does your power supply have the capacity to support your new CPU? Don't forget that a PSU's wattage output will degrade with each year of use. If your PSU is having a hard time generating power with the new CPU installed, you may see some unusual problems as devices will not receive all the power they need.

Other things you can do right now is to remove your video card, check and clean up the slot that it was installed in, and re-seat it. Also if the card has an auxiliary power connection of some sort on it, make sure you've attached that to your motherboard properly as well. If all that goes well and you still have problems, you may just have a bad mobo and will have to RMA it.
It is a 650W Bronze certified PSU that has been used for only 2-3 years.

So the only possible problems are the motherboard, graphics card and psu?
Does the dump file say the same thing?

Thanks for the reply!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2012   #6
Vir Gnarus

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

The crashdump file was a TDR fault, as in the driver for the video card did not respond to a request after a certain period of time and failed to successfully resuscitate when requested. While there could be an issue with your video card, there's a myriad of other causes for this. I only ventured to believe we're dealing with your motherboard because you said this only just started happening after the new mobo installation (unless video card is new too?). Unless something coincidental happened during the mobo switch, then something involving the new motherboard is most likely the deal here. We've already ruled out the driver being the problem, so now I can only venture to believe the video card is not responding because of some fault with it or with the motherboard PCI-E bus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2012   #7
shin89

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vir Gnarus View Post
The crashdump file was a TDR fault, as in the driver for the video card did not respond to a request after a certain period of time and failed to successfully resuscitate when requested. While there could be an issue with your video card, there's a myriad of other causes for this. I only ventured to believe we're dealing with your motherboard because you said this only just started happening after the new mobo installation (unless video card is new too?). Unless something coincidental happened during the mobo switch, then something involving the new motherboard is most likely the deal here. We've already ruled out the driver being the problem, so now I can only venture to believe the video card is not responding because of some fault with it or with the motherboard PCI-E bus.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I'll send my motherboard for a check down at the distributor and will reply here again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #8
shin89

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Switched out the 8800GT for my current msi 5850, and the computer is running smoothly

Guess it's just a problem with the graphics card. Thanks for your help Vir Gnarus!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #9
Vir Gnarus

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

So you have a new graphics card as well? I'm not quite following. I was under the suspicion the only new components for your PC are the mobo and CPU, correct?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #10
shin89

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vir Gnarus View Post
So you have a new graphics card as well? I'm not quite following. I was under the suspicion the only new components for your PC are the mobo and CPU, correct?
I have 2 computers, so I tried to rule out the components that might be having problems. I took out my 5850 from another computer to try on this one to make sure it was not the mobo having problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Nvidia Driver Crashed/Not Responding, BSOD




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD crashed after Nvidia Driver Update on Battlefield 4
I have been having issues with Battlefield 4 direct x error. Updated my Nvidia driver and now I ran into BSOD. I have uploaded my files.
BSOD Help and Support
NVidia display driver stopped responding and has recovered
I am getting this alot lately, the screen goes black for a second, then the following message appears: "NVidia display driver stopped responding and has recovered", randomly, whenever i play games, open a web browser, etc... I tried going back to old whql drivers for my gtx 570 - 314.22, but same...
Graphic Cards
Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Stopped responding...Please Help.
Hello, This has happened a few times where my monitor turns weird colors and goes black for a second then comes back with the message you can see in the screen shot i've posted. Can some one please help me figure out how to fix this. Thank you!
Graphic Cards
NVIDIA 9500GT video card Display driver stopped responding
NVIDIA 9500GT video card Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.Display driver NVIDIA windows kernal mode driver,version 258.96 stopped responding....Windows 7 Ult. Can't roll back old drivers. Reformatted and still having proplems....Also had windows install drivers still have video...
Graphic Cards
nvidia driver stopped responding - recovered
When I print to my Epson printer with Photoshop or Lightroom, I get a black screen and the error message above..usually it recovers, but twice I got a blue screen crash. This NEVER happened with Vista, and happens every time I print with Win 7. I've uninstalled and installed the latest nVidia...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:04.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App