Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Display driver stopped responding and has been....


28 Sep 2012   #21

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Just dropped by to give a little.
1.Power supply brand is very important.
2. While having these problems don't overclock.
3. You don't mention what case you are using. It matters because of cooling.
4. You don't mention what cpu cooler you are using. It matters because of cooling.
5. A cpu and/or motherboard that the pins have changed colors is a problem. Both could be damaged.
6. I would suggest that your cooling problem is the first problem that needs to be solved.
7. Go the the manufactore of your video card and check what drivers they suggest. In my case it is MSI. I had to go back to a 2010 drives to solve my video card problem.
------------
Look at Britton 30 Specs and mine and you will see all the information that can help us help you.
Now I will shut up and get out of the way.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Sep 2012   #22

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
100C CPU temp is very high, it could be damaged and is showing up just now.

A poor PSU may not supply the rated power, deliver "dirty" power, not have active power factor correction, have more than one 12v rail, etc. Do you have this computer with you? You can get the make and model by removing the side panel.
The only REAL problem I have is these driver issues. Like, I've had this CPU for so long and it has acted "great". Like it has always come down that it is innocent. But I changed CPU fan as soon as I saw that it got too high. Like, my PC usually shut down itself if it was too hot.

In any case, I've looked inside it already. It is open right now because I was going to double check but there is no sticker or anything that says what model or brand it is. The only sticker there is a "Warranty is void if removed" and I'm not so enthusiastic to remove that one. If there is one then it has to be on the other side, facing the inner side. I remember that this case actually made me install the PSU upside down, so that might actually be the case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2012   #23

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

You PC shutting down because of temps is good to a point. Don't depend on that method. It's kind of like a fire alarm. A fire alarm doesn't stop fires it just let you know when their is a fire. You never I say again NEVER want a PC to ever get that hot it has to shut down. Just like you don't want your house to catch fire to test the fire alarm. You have a over heating problem that should be corrected before anything else. The damage might of already been done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Sep 2012   #24

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
You PC shutting down because of temps is good to a point. Don't depend on that method. It's kind of like a fire alarm. A fire alarm doesn't stop fires it just let you know when their is a fire. You never I say again NEVER want a PC to ever get that hot it has to shut down. Just like you don't want your house to catch fire to test the fire alarm. You have a over heating problem that should be corrected before anything else. The damage might of already been done.
No I don't. Didn't you read that I wrote that this was way back? I changed my CPU fan due to this....

I don't have an overheating issue. The CPU is around 35 idle and 60-70 when working.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #25

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Just dropped by to give a little.
1.Power supply brand is very important.
2. While having these problems don't overclock.
3. You don't mention what case you are using. It matters because of cooling.
4. You don't mention what cpu cooler you are using. It matters because of cooling.
5. A cpu and/or motherboard that the pins have changed colors is a problem. Both could be damaged.
6. I would suggest that your cooling problem is the first problem that needs to be solved.
7. Go the the manufactore of your video card and check what drivers they suggest. In my case it is MSI. I had to go back to a 2010 drives to solve my video card problem.
------------
Look at Britton 30 Specs and mine and you will see all the information that can help us help you.
Now I will shut up and get out of the way.
1. I know, but I can't remember the name. I know it was a good one though.

2. I don't overclock. Never have. On the contrary actually, I'm currently strangulating both my CPU and GPU to see if it gets better. No effect so far. My OLD MOTHERBOARD BEFORE I CHANGED had auto overclock as a default in BIOS so I had to switch it off, because it gave me bluescreens.

3. Antec Twelvehundred v3

4. CPU Fan is a Cooler Freezer or something. It's huge, and it works great so can we please stop thinking about the overheating issue? Because it isn't relevant at this moment in this. I only mentioned this because of the dark spots on my CPU.

5. The CPU has dark spots. I noticed this while changing to my NEW motherboard, 3 days ago.

6. There is no cooling problem. Why isn't anybody listening to what I'm saying? I said that there WAS one, way back, not anymore.

7. They are suggesting the newest ones. But we'll see. I'm going to RMA this video card this week so I'll check when I get it back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #26

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Let try to put this is some sort of order.
Your post #1. You tried different video drivers and didn't work.
#3 You are going to get another motherboard
#4 Arc gave instructions on how to remove old drivers and install new drivers
#5 Britton 30 requested you to do post #4
#6 You will do post #4 when you find time, your going to RMA the GPU. You are still in question of motherboard quality. You will get to the requests in a few hours.
# 7 Britton 30 recommend video card stress test.
#8 You state you didn't test any of that stuff. You ordered another motherboard. Installed new motherboard and ram. Installed new GPU drivers and Windows 7/64.
Display driver stopped working. You did a test of some kind and got results back not in English. Your temps of something is 80c.
#10 While changing the motherboard noticed dark spots on CPU.
# 11 You were told again how to get your specs and post them properly.
#13 You didn't know how and were to fill in specs. This system spec thing is downloading to slow.
#14 is instruction again how to fill in your specs.
#15 We got your specs finely. You state you swapped everything CPU and GPU.
#16 You were given the proper way to install new drivers again.
#17 You to do post #16 and it didn't work.
#18 You got more suggestions on video drivers. Told again about the spotted pins on CPU could be a problem. Another request for power supply information.
#19 You have no faith if drivers are installed correctly. New CPU fan of some kind.
You have informed us that you went from a 650w to a 850w power supply now it stopped killing my hard drives. Old power supply killed 3 hard drives.
#20 You were reminded again about proper power supply
#25 You still don't know what power supply you have and won't look.
We find out about your CPU cooler. Dark spots are still on CPU pins.
You are strangulating your CPU and GPU. (what ever that means)
You are going to RMA your video card. You don't have a cooling problem any more.
---------------------------
Timelaw I did read through your post several time. The more times I read your posts the more confused I got. For what ever reason you refuse to give us information as requested. You refuse to do things as requested. You state you don't have enough time. Your willing to use our time and still not work with us. You are doing things not requested in a sequence I don't understand. You still won't take out a few screws and give us the information on the power supply. Your old power supply that killed your 3 hard drives could of killed any thing else in your system. You are replacing all kinds of things except the CPU with burnt pins. We want to help you as we do thousand of other people but you make it very difficult. Read through this post a couple of times and I think you will understand my confusion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #27

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Let try to put this is some sort of order.
Your post #1. You tried different video drivers and didn't work.
#3 You are going to get another motherboard
#4 Arc gave instructions on how to remove old drivers and install new drivers
#5 Britton 30 requested you to do post #4
#6 You will do post #4 when you find time, your going to RMA the GPU. You are still in question of motherboard quality. You will get to the requests in a few hours.
# 7 Britton 30 recommend video card stress test.
#8 You state you didn't test any of that stuff. You ordered another motherboard. Installed new motherboard and ram. Installed new GPU drivers and Windows 7/64.
Display driver stopped working. You did a test of some kind and got results back not in English. Your temps of something is 80c.
#10 While changing the motherboard noticed dark spots on CPU.
# 11 You were told again how to get your specs and post them properly.
#13 You didn't know how and were to fill in specs. This system spec thing is downloading to slow.
#14 is instruction again how to fill in your specs.
#15 We got your specs finely. You state you swapped everything CPU and GPU.
#16 You were given the proper way to install new drivers again.
#17 You to do post #16 and it didn't work.
#18 You got more suggestions on video drivers. Told again about the spotted pins on CPU could be a problem. Another request for power supply information.
#19 You have no faith if drivers are installed correctly. New CPU fan of some kind.
You have informed us that you went from a 650w to a 850w power supply now it stopped killing my hard drives. Old power supply killed 3 hard drives.
Erm...

So, the case was this: I was going to do the instructions but since my OLD motherboard, the Asus P6X58D Premium, lost one memory slot I didn't do the tests to decide to get a new one, as it was broken and I couldn't live with that. So I bought it, swapped it.

The OLD power supply was changed last year, when I got this GPU because it wasn't enough, obviously, and after that it seemed to work. No more harddrive crashes and no more bluescreens etc etc.

The NEW CPU FAN was installed way before this, because I noticed the temp before I bought the new GPU, so there is NOT SOME overheating issue AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME.

I am currently on a mobile broadband because the old guy I'm renting a room at doesn't have a PC, so he has no internet and doesn't want any. That's why I had issues getting the test software. When I did get it, I couldn't run it with those settings you wanted. I couldn't tick the option to log the GPU temp. I stayed though and watched it for a good 10 minutes and it rose slowly up to 80 degrees and stopped there for the rest of the test. During the test I didn't get any errors or so.

I've tried a billion different driver installations, with sweepers and manually deleting them in the device thing etc. I now run the latests ones.



NOW, up to date here:

I'm currently now fiddling around with Asus GPU Tweak and I set the memory clock to the lowest setting, and the GPU clock to around 690 Hz instead of 782, which is default overclock.

I first tried going all the way down to around 550 Hz and I could play a nice game for a few hours and nothing happened, to a surprise. So I raised it to 690 Hz but I haven't tested it as much yet, but so far it doesn't seem to be a problem.

So, any conclusions? Is my PSU bad or something? For causing this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #28
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

I don't think a bad or under performing PSU would cause the driver not responding issue but can cause other issues.

I have a good PSU, Corsair HX 650 and I get the same driver not responding and has been recovered error too. People with AMD graphics get it as well.

I believe you say it happens only while playing BF3 so possibly that game has a bug or two, are there updates for it? I don't game at all so I have no knowledge of them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #29

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
I don't think a bad or under performing PSU would cause the driver not responding issue but can cause other issues.

I have a good PSU, Corsair HX 650 and I get the same driver not responding and has been recovered error too. People with AMD graphics get it as well.

I believe you say it happens only while playing BF3 so possibly that game has a bug or two, are there updates for it? I don't game at all so I have no knowledge of them.
It is always automatically updated or you can't play the game. I'm thinking so too but now it seems to have stopped after I declocked my GPU a heavy amount. I'm going to push it back up and see if I get any errors again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #30

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Timelaw I'm glad you are up and running. Britton 30 is correct a power supply shouldn't have anything to do with drivers. My constant concern with the power supply was to try and help you not have a power supply cause the problem you had before with the old power supply do damage to your computer. I take it you have moved and have a good internet connection now.
One small suggestion. Try using your computer at default (no over clocking)for a few days and make sure everything works as it should before over clocking it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Display driver stopped responding and has been....




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Display driver stopped responding and has been....
Thread Forum
Display Driver Stopped responding Graphic Cards
AMD - Display driver stopped responding ... Graphic Cards
display driver stopped responding Drivers
Display driver stopped responding..? Graphic Cards
Display driver stopped responding Drivers
Display Driver stopped responding?!?! Drivers
Display Driver Has Stopped Responding Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33