I'm not quite sure what to make of this but somehow after I enable driver
verifier, I was able to boot into normal mode and
1) update the bios
2) install windows updates
ALTHOUGH I also am periodically getting a spontaneous shutdown and the machine throws an error when I try to do statup repair.
Here's what happened
1) I enabled driver verifier per instructions in the tutorial
2) restarted in normal mode
3) got a spontaneous shut down
4) on restart, was given the option for "startup repair"
5) chose start up repair but then got an error message f3-f100-0010
6) hit ok on that dialog box (which was the only option presented) and the machine powered down
7) restarted and got the same options: repair or startup normally
8) chose startup normally
9) this time it booted in normal mode and I was able to update the BIOS
10) after BIOS updated, the machine restarted
11) AGAIN got the problem where the machine spontaneously turned off (before booting up)
12) AGAIN got the option for startup repair but selected start up normally
13) Machine booted in normal mode
14) I went to windows update and selected install updates
15) These are installing right now
Not sure what to do now
1) are there any more files I should post to this thread?
2) should I run the memory test suggested earlier?
3) should I sign up for Toshiba online backup and or Carbonite right now and back up the system in case I need to do a clean install?
Thanks again for all your advice and assistance