Suggested WD diagnostic program done, and passed. All positive results.
Ran CrystalDiskInfo, screenshot attatched.
Chkdsk gave me these results, but only from an elevated command prompt. (On a regular command prompt, the window would close presumably as soon as it was done, which I don't remember being normal)
Usn Journal verification completed.
The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.
The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.
I scheduled scan/fix on reboot, which did not seem to fix anything. I also gave it a second try while doing it from the drive properties, no fix.
I wasn't able to use the normal SeaTools, because when I tried to install .net framework in non-safe mode windows would BSOD immediately upon trying to install it. That's the only time I've seen it vary from being around 3 minutes, I tried several times for the same result.
SeaTools for DOS was a success though, and I passed both the short-test and the long-test.