Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Getting BSOD every few minutes, problem with modidras.sys

02 Feb 2013   #41
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amaksoud View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
I personally use Norton Internet Security with good success and no problems. This Security Essentials, is that Microsoft Security Essentials, MSE? It and Norton can conflict.

In my sig are links to MalwareBytes and Super AntiSpyware, download each, update and run full scan, separately with each. Make sure you UNcheck Start 30 day trial on MBAM.

If you have paid Norton stay with it, unless it is only the AV, then get a suite with AV and firewall.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I meant MS Security Essentials.

Today I bought Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and tried to install it but the installation failed after it asked for removal of MSE.

I tried Kaspersky Virus removal tool as recommended by Kaspersky but it didn't find any threats.

Further more, I downloaded Kaspersky Rescue Disk to a bootable flash memory and run a scan that could only find 23 items in SEP's Quarantine folder, I deleted all of them.

I still can't install KIS 2013 and I have contacted KIS support for that but they didn't reply yet.

I had to reinstall MSE again.

One last thing, I downloaded a copy of windows 7 and while burning it to a flash memory, it gave me an error before it finishes .

I can't remember the exact error phrase but it was a problem making or verifying the boot.ini file.

I tried that on a different laptop, any hints ?
Hello Amaksoud mate first how did you try to install the Kaspersky because I have found that via the CD that comes in the box is pretty ordinary.
I have found that it is much easier to download the trial version from your region - (just Google for it) - to "Downloads" ( I keep mine on the desktop as an icon )
Then just remove any other security apps even Malwarebytes etc > open downloads and install from there - if you have an activation code then use it when asked for it otherwise just use the trial until you get an activation code.
Let us know how that goes.

Hum just read through the whole thread - get rid of every AV you have if any. Kaspersky does not like being interfered with.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Feb 2013   #42
amaksoud

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amaksoud View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
I personally use Norton Internet Security with good success and no problems. This Security Essentials, is that Microsoft Security Essentials, MSE? It and Norton can conflict.

In my sig are links to MalwareBytes and Super AntiSpyware, download each, update and run full scan, separately with each. Make sure you UNcheck Start 30 day trial on MBAM.

If you have paid Norton stay with it, unless it is only the AV, then get a suite with AV and firewall.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I meant MS Security Essentials.

Today I bought Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and tried to install it but the installation failed after it asked for removal of MSE.

I tried Kaspersky Virus removal tool as recommended by Kaspersky but it didn't find any threats.

Further more, I downloaded Kaspersky Rescue Disk to a bootable flash memory and run a scan that could only find 23 items in SEP's Quarantine folder, I deleted all of them.

I still can't install KIS 2013 and I have contacted KIS support for that but they didn't reply yet.

I had to reinstall MSE again.

One last thing, I downloaded a copy of windows 7 and while burning it to a flash memory, it gave me an error before it finishes .

I can't remember the exact error phrase but it was a problem making or verifying the boot.ini file.

I tried that on a different laptop, any hints ?
Hello Amaksoud mate first how did you try to install the Kaspersky because I have found that via the CD that comes in the box is pretty ordinary.
I have found that it is much easier to download the trial version from your region - (just Google for it) - to "Downloads" ( I keep mine on the desktop as an icon )
Then just remove any other security apps even Malwarebytes etc > open downloads and install from there - if you have an activation code then use it when asked for it otherwise just use the trial until you get an activation code.
Let us know how that goes.

Hum just read through the whole thread - get rid of every AV you have if any. Kaspersky does not like being interfered with.
Hi ICit2lol,

Thanks for your feedback.

I already bought KIS 2013 with a CD but my DVD drive is not functional so I went to the regional downloads and downloaded the latest version from there.

Although first time I tried to install it, I had MSE installed along with MalwareBytes and it prompted me for removal and I agreed to remove them, I have tried a dozen times more, some of them without having any type of antivirus or anti-malware/spyware.

I have went through a few troubleshooting steps with people at Kaspersky forums and we found that after removing my old anti virus ( Symantec Endpoint Protection) there are still some traces in the registry pointing to it as well as McAfee antivirus which came pre-installed with my system and was removed more than 3 years ago.

I have just received today a feedback for the support case I opened with Kaspersky labs so I will go on with their suggestions and see how things go.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2013   #43
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Ok amaksoud another thing I do is in regedit you will find in the HKEY _LOCAL_MACHINE & _CURRENT_USER in Software you will often find Symantec and McAfee / AVG / or whatever still listed and I just right click on them and delete.

But be careful in there - see pic.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Feb 2013   #44
koolkat77

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10 Home 64Bit
 
 

@ OP

Just popping in to ask..Did you get a BSOD recently?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2013   #45
amaksoud

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Ok amaksoud another thing I do is in regedit you will find in the HKEY _LOCAL_MACHINE & _CURRENT_USER in Software you will often find Symantec and McAfee / AVG / or whatever still listed and I just right click on them and delete.

But be careful in there - see pic.
I've already started doing so yesterday but stopped as I found too many keys.

I'll continue doing that if Kaspersky Technical Support didn't provide a solution.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koolkat77 View Post
@ OP

Just popping in to ask..Did you get a BSOD recently?
Yes, yesterday I had one and on 31st I had one.

It's much less frequent than before and I remember that the BSOD I got on 31st was different than the BSOD related to movidras.sys.

I think the error was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2013   #46
koolkat77

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10 Home 64Bit
 
 

Okay..upload fresh dumps when you get time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2013   #47
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Thanks John!

Did you ever manage to install KIS 2103? If no, what is the error?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2013   #48
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Thanks John!

Did you ever manage to install KIS 2103? If no, what is the error?
I have Gary on a couple of occasions and I think both times were local download site issues (servers mainly) .

As I said to Amak the best way to do this via the trial version and then either get an activation code or use the one that you have been using.

To get them it requires getting the code via email as the info in the box is only for quoting to Kaspersky for that purpose.

In any case it sounds like Amak's local Kaspersky support are dragging the chain a bit. I found (only because I don't live that far from the Kaspersky support site) a phone call is by far and away the best way of getting things sorted, emailing is very long winded.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2013   #49
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Sorry, I meant did amaksoud install it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2013   #50
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Sorry, I meant did amaksoud install it.
I don't know Gary as there seems to be a lot of other AV stuff that had to be removed and if the install was corrupted then it would have to be totally removed itself again.

That why I suggested (I think I did) saving the Kaspersky application to Downloads which I keep as an icon on the desktop for easy reference and it can be used over and over instead of the fairly long wait for the download from the site proper.
As a matter of fact I also keep a copy of the removal tool there too although now Kaspersky include it in the install. It is in the Start > Programs listings a good feature as it saves a lot of the config settings from the previous install - saving a lot of time reconfiging the program again from scratch which is no mean feat until you have done it few times. ..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Getting BSOD every few minutes, problem with modidras.sys




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD During Prime95, first Core #5 failed, then BSOD after few minutes
Hey, I noticed that my PC is unstable when I set ASUS Bios setting to Optimal (performance mode) and PC freezes up after few minutes, so I decided to run it in normal mode without any overclocks or anything, just plain default bios. I ran Prime95 Blend Test for 30 minutes and it failed. Then I...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD after a few minutes (5 to 55 minutes) with Samsung SSD 840 EVO
Hi. I have successfully cloned my existing OS over to the SSD 840 EVO using Samsung magician. My OS boots fine with the SSD 840 EVO but crashes several minutes after startup. Crashes can happen from 5 to 50+ minutes after start up. The crashing process happens slowly, starting with the mouse...
BSOD Help and Support
Driver problem? All my games crashes after 30 minutes!
Hello there, this happened for a while ago. I have two games, GTA IV and CrossFire. (One steam and one client.) In both those games, it crashes. Normally around 30 minutes. It closes, and I get redirected to the desktop, no errors, nothing. Do anyone know what to do? Please help me here. Im...
Drivers
BSOD - Black Screen couple minutes before BSOD
Okay the issue I've got isn't really the Blue Screen so much as it is everything that's happening before it. I'll be using TeamViewer and running another program be it a game or a video and sometimes nothing at all and I'll get a Black Screen, sometimes if TeamViewer closes the screen will go...
BSOD Help and Support
Serious BSOD Problem every 1 to 2 minutes!
Just did a clean install of Win 7 Home Premium and during the process my screen would go dark and then laptop would shut off, this happened like 4 times. Finally got the install done and laptop was okey before the first round of like 70 updates thru windows update.Now im getting the same BSOD like...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Every 10 minutes
I started getting the BSOD today: Log files are listed below: Please help: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050033, 0x00000000000406f8, 0xfffff80002c4f798). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:34.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App