Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSoD caused by nvlddmkm.sys

24 Feb 2013   #11

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bits
 
 

I used the link you provided me. The NVIDIA detect suggested the most recent driver and I downloaded and installed it with no problem but the issue remains and the temperatures on the laptop are higher than before (not sure if that's because of the driver). Before installing it, after cleaning the laptop with the DriverSweeper program, the laptop was working "normally" but with a 880x600 resolution instead of the 1024 one. It didn't give much problem and the lines appeared only a couple of times but nothing serious as far as I could see.

What do you think the problem might be?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Feb 2013   #12

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Heat?

Can you open the laptop and clear dust?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2013   #13

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bits
 
 

I can try but I don't know much about it and I'm afraid I might screw it ^^; I've tried cleaning it before with a can of air but that didn't seem to work, unless I really have to open the laptop and clean inside. The temperatures went back to normal today so...I don't know if the issue it's caused by heat.

Just wondering about the drivers, what's the best in this case? To download the latest version? or download an earlier/older version? I've read that these issues are caused by some incompatibilities between the newer drivers and older GPUs.

What should I do now? :/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Feb 2013   #14

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kobane View Post
Just wondering about the drivers, what's the best in this case? To download the latest version? or download an earlier/older version? I've read that these issues are caused by some incompatibilities between the newer drivers and older GPUs.
You can do that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2013   #15

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bits
 
 

Sorry for the delay again. I0ve been trying with different versions but none of them seem to worl
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2013   #16
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Is the computer hot? Report us the heat of the computer after a couple of hours of your normal usage. Upload a screenshot of the summery tab of Speccy.

And, if it is crashing irrespective of the drivers version, it might be the problem if the GPU itself. How old the laptop is? Is it still under warranty?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2013   #17

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kobane View Post
I can try but I don't know much about it and I'm afraid I might screw it ^^; I've tried cleaning it before with a can of air but that didn't seem to work, unless I really have to open the laptop and clean inside. The temperatures went back to normal today so...I don't know if the issue it's caused by heat.
Go to Manuals/Documentation tab for Service Manual:
Product Support for Inspiron 1420 | Dell US

You'll be fine, make sure you read the first few pages of the service manual, it will tell you about tools and precautions.
Direct Link to pdf Service Manual.

Better Visual steps for removal of back panel:
How to disassemble Dell Inspiron 1420 or Vostro 1400 laptop >> Inside my laptop
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2013   #18
Microsoft MVP

 

What's important is to blow the dust out and not into the laptop. So as soon as you can access the fan try it to see if it's sufficient.

If not and high temps persist it may require repasting the processor, which is a major operation that I would not undertake except as a last resort: How to apply thermal grease on laptop processor >> Inside my laptop

Meanwhile is this the original factory preinstall with all the bloatware, or have you already done the Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to shed the crapware that throttles Windows 7 native performance.

I would at least Clean Up Factory Bloatware with an emphasis on establishing a Clean Boot so that none of the bloatware is running, including the Nvidia services which are not needed at all - just the driver delivered by Windows Update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2013   #19

Win7 Ultimate X64
 
 

When you click the shutdown button does the screen return to normal for a brief second or two before powering off or is it scrambled all the way ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2013   #20

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bits
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Is the computer hot? Report us the heat of the computer after a couple of hours of your normal usage. Upload a screenshot of the summery tab of Speccy.

And, if it is crashing irrespective of the drivers version, it might be the problem if the GPU itself. How old the laptop is? Is it still under warranty?
Here's the screenshot I took of Speccy after an hour and half/almost 2 hours of use. I hope the image it's clear since the screen is currently having the "double screen and lines" issue, and the resolution it's really low while it is like that.


It doesn't have warranty. We got it about like 2 years ago but it was already used by then.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Meanwhile is this the original factory preinstall with all the bloatware, or have you already done the Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to shed the crapware that throttles Windows 7 native performance.

I would at least Clean Up Factory Bloatware with an emphasis on establishing a Clean Boot so that none of the bloatware is running, including the Nvidia services which are not needed at all - just the driver delivered by Windows Update.
I haven't tried any of those. Would you recommend doing it in this case? Would I lose my info or something? (just to know if I might need to make any sort of backups or something)



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
When you click the shutdown button does the screen return to normal for a brief second or two before powering off or is it scrambled all the way ?
No. When the laptop displays the issue with the double screen and the lines, it does it from the very first moment it displays the DELL screen until the last second the laptop is on. Sometimes the lines dissappear but it hardly ever does that. The rest remains the same unless it decides to run normally from the begin (although, when it does that, most of time, it crashes down). When it runs normally but it's in safe mode, sometimes, the lines show up but it never crashes down in said mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSoD caused by nvlddmkm.sys




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: BSoD caused by nvlddmkm.sys
Thread Forum
BSOD nvlddmkm.sys BSOD Help and Support
BSOD nvlddmkm.sys help BSOD Help and Support
BSOD while playing video games, caused by nvlddmkm.sys BSOD Help and Support
Blue screen of death caused by nvlddmkm.sys, while running some games BSOD Help and Support
Bsod + nvlddmkm.sys BSOD Help and Support
nvlddmkm BSOD fix BSOD Help and Support
Bsod nvlddmkm.sys BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33