Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Repeated annoying BSODs troubling a beginner

05 Jun 2013   #51
miksu

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Bios screen shots

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Sounds great to me. The reason this form is here is for people like you. Don't be concerned. Not everyone knows everything. Anything you would care to know, just ask. That's what we're here for. I always say the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. I, and most people here, were exactly where you are at some point. I don't consider myself an expert, and never will. But, if there is anything I do know, I'm happy to tell you. There are a great number of experts on this forum and we all learn from each other. I have learned more here than I have ever taught. At any rate, I'm happy to help any way I can. And if you need to know something I don't know, I will get someone who does know the answer to help you. Nobody on these forums gets paid for doing this, we all do it to help others. I'm here to help you as much as I am capable, so ask whatever you want, and don't be ashamed to ask anything.
Hi! These are the screenshot from my BIOS. Hopefully they are what you needed.

miksu


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Jun 2013   #52
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Hold on, the second picture. You have changed it to my BIOS, which I didn't want you to do. Yours should be Offset Mode. offset sign + and offset voltage Auto. In the picture I showed the right side of the arrows states what yours should be. For goodness sakes, don't set yours like mine! You'll be in trouble for sure. Look again, this time I outlined it in a box, but it is the same picture.

Attachment 271212
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2013   #53
miksu

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Hold on, the second picture. You have changed it to my BIOS, which I didn't want you to do. Yours should be Offset Mode. offset sign + and offset voltage Auto. In the picture I showed the right side of the arrows states what yours should be. For goodness sakes, don't set yours like mine! You'll be in trouble for sure. Look again, this time I outlined it in a box, but it is the same picture.

Attachment 271212
Gosh! Screwing up again. I'll go and change them right away...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jun 2013   #54
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

It's no problem Don't be so concerned. We can fix any of that stuff. I'm just surprised it didn't BSOD on you. Later on today, I'll try to reset my bios and post what yours should look like. Mine hasn't been set to default values since the first time it booted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2013   #55
miksu

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
It's no problem Don't be so concerned. We can fix any of that stuff. I'm just surprised it didn't BSOD on you. Later on today, I'll try to reset my bios and post what yours should look like. Mine hasn't been set to default values since the first time it booted.
OK! Looking forward to that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2013   #56
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Here you go. The only exceptions are, in picture 1, where it says XMP Profile mine reads DDR3-2400 yours should say DDR3-1600 9-9-9-31 (or may say 24). Notice in picture 2 the catagory Dram Timing control, picture 4 is the screen you will get when you click the pointer just to the left of it. The values in the box are your values, make them say the same as shown, don't worry about the rest, just what's inside the box. Everything on the main Extreme Tweaker page not shown should say Auto. There is actually very little you will have to change, just make sure you manually input the Dram Voltage of 1.650. Unless you have problems you are done in bios. This is just setting everything at default values, setting your ram to run at the rated speed, and allowing your CPU frequency and voltage to drop at idle. If you have any questions, please ask.

Attachment 271231

Attachment 271232

Attachment 271233

THIS IS THE DRAM TIMING CONTROL. It should be set for you, but only worry about what's in the box. 9-9-9-27 (or24) 2T
Attachment 271234
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2013   #57
miksu

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Here you go. The only exceptions are, in picture 1, where it says XMP Profile mine reads DDR3-2400 yours should say DDR3-1600 9-9-9-31 (or may say 24). Notice in picture 2 the catagory Dram Timing control, picture 4 is the screen you will get when you click the pointer just to the left of it. The values in the box are your values, make them say the same as shown, don't worry about the rest, just what's inside the box. Everything on the main Extreme Tweaker page not shown should say Auto. There is actually very little you will have to change, just make sure you manually input the Dram Voltage of 1.650. Unless you have problems you are done in bios. This is just setting everything at default values, setting your ram to run at the rated speed, and allowing your CPU frequency and voltage to drop at idle. If you have any questions, please ask.

Attachment 271231

Attachment 271232

Attachment 271233

THIS IS THE DRAM TIMING CONTROL. It should be set for you, but only worry about what's in the box. 9-9-9-27 (or24) 2T
Attachment 271234
OK. This doesn't seem to be too complicated. This time I'll try to be more exact with the values I change. I'll get back when I'm finished or if I've got questions. Thanks again!

miksu
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2013   #58
miksu

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by miksu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Here you go. The only exceptions are, in picture 1, where it says XMP Profile mine reads DDR3-2400 yours should say DDR3-1600 9-9-9-31 (or may say 24). Notice in picture 2 the catagory Dram Timing control, picture 4 is the screen you will get when you click the pointer just to the left of it. The values in the box are your values, make them say the same as shown, don't worry about the rest, just what's inside the box. Everything on the main Extreme Tweaker page not shown should say Auto. There is actually very little you will have to change, just make sure you manually input the Dram Voltage of 1.650. Unless you have problems you are done in bios. This is just setting everything at default values, setting your ram to run at the rated speed, and allowing your CPU frequency and voltage to drop at idle. If you have any questions, please ask.

Attachment 271231

Attachment 271232

Attachment 271233

THIS IS THE DRAM TIMING CONTROL. It should be set for you, but only worry about what's in the box. 9-9-9-27 (or24) 2T
Attachment 271234
OK. This doesn't seem to be too complicated. This time I'll try to be more exact with the values I change. I'll get back when I'm finished or if I've got questions. Thanks again!

miksu
Here we go. I've chaged the values in BIOS according your examples. Computer started as normal, so I didn't do any serious damage . I have just one question: could you explain to me what we just did? Apparently I had bad values here and there which cause problems. Why must RAM run at rated speed? Why do we allow the CPU frequency and voltage to drop?

miksu
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2013   #59
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

You don't have to run the ram at it's rated speed. But, you paid extra for the speed, so I would assume you wanted that speed, I would. It is also the normal ram speed of the motherboard, you just have to enable it. As far as the CPU frequency and voltage drop. There is a feature of the CPU/ board callsed Intel Speedstep. By default, if you are isling on the desktop, you do not need a lot of speed and the increased voltage that goes along with it. More voltage=more heat also. So, it will run cooler by using that. When you start using the computer and create more activity on the CPU, it will automatically speed up. So, you don't burn excess electricity and create heat when not needed and get the increased speed when it is needed. That is a basic explanation of what we did and why. Very basic. Now, if you don't want to do that, don't. It is your computer and you can run it however you like. If you would rather, put everything back like it was. To me, it makes more logic to do it this way, but not everybody would want it that way. Is it causing you any problems? it shouldn't. It is a basic default set up with everything running at it's rated speed and frequency. That is the way the motherboard and CPU were designed to work. I think a good analogy is if you were sitting in the car waiting for your Wife to come out of the store, you wouldn't sit there with the engine revved up. When She does come out and you get ready to go home and press the accelerator, the engine will rev up because it needs to. If it is causing you problems, let me know. If you just want it the way it was, change it back. If you have more questions feel free to ask. Or, if you don't understand what I just said let me know. Sometimes, I know what I meant, but others don't understand it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2013   #60
miksu

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
You don't have to run the ram at it's rated speed. But, you paid extra for the speed, so I would assume you wanted that speed, I would. It is also the normal ram speed of the motherboard, you just have to enable it. As far as the CPU frequency and voltage drop. There is a feature of the CPU/ board callsed Intel Speedstep. By default, if you are isling on the desktop, you do not need a lot of speed and the increased voltage that goes along with it. More voltage=more heat also. So, it will run cooler by using that. When you start using the computer and create more activity on the CPU, it will automatically speed up. So, you don't burn excess electricity and create heat when not needed and get the increased speed when it is needed. That is a basic explanation of what we did and why. Very basic. Now, if you don't want to do that, don't. It is your computer and you can run it however you like. If you would rather, put everything back like it was. To me, it makes more logic to do it this way, but not everybody would want it that way. Is it causing you any problems? it shouldn't. It is a basic default set up with everything running at it's rated speed and frequency. That is the way the motherboard and CPU were designed to work. I think a good analogy is if you were sitting in the car waiting for your Wife to come out of the store, you wouldn't sit there with the engine revved up. When She does come out and you get ready to go home and press the accelerator, the engine will rev up because it needs to. If it is causing you problems, let me know. If you just want it the way it was, change it back. If you have more questions feel free to ask. Or, if you don't understand what I just said let me know. Sometimes, I know what I meant, but others don't understand it.
Thanks for the explanation! Now I understand what we did and why. Seeing the BIOS with all these strange numbers, values and terms just made me dizzy. And I want this computer to run like it was meant to run, so doing these adjustments you suggested is something I really want to do. Trying to do them myself would end in a disaster, that's for sure! So thanks again, now we got the BIOS to work like it should. So, if you got some other aces in your sleeve regarding the optimization of this set up I have, I'm all ears
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Repeated annoying BSODs troubling a beginner




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Repeated BSODS over the last 3 months!
Hi-am having trouble with multiple BSODS involving ntfs.sys and https.sys. Happens frustratingly randomly. Toshiba Satellite L300D running Win 7 Ultimate. Any help Appreciated. Archive attached. Cheers, P
BSOD Help and Support
repeated bsods with rest periods
As well as I remember, the first one said that I was trying to use something too old to run on my system. After that things were fine for a few days, then it occurred again for no apparent reason. Repetitions have been occurring more and more frequently during all different sorts of applications,...
BSOD Help and Support
Repeated BSoDs, Freezing
...................... BSoD while attaching file and about to post a new thread. Check. Hi, first off I'm new to Windows 7 so this whole thing could be my own fault for all I know.. But to start, I had a system put together for me, and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed because I thought, why...
BSOD Help and Support
Win 7 Ultimate repeated BSODs
Hello I had very frequent BSODs of my system lately. I ran memtest who didn't found any errors. SeaToolsforWindows did not found erros on hdd. Every time that system crashed, firefox 3.6.13 was open. System components: ASUS P5QPL-AM Pentium 4 660, 3,60 Ghz 4 GB RAM nvidia 6600 Window 7...
BSOD Help and Support
repeated variable bsods
I keep getting irregular bsods. One is in Photoshop CS5, which was the last before I generated the Windows_NT6_BSOD_jcgriff2 report. Only happens with certain adjustments such as image adjust exposure. Sometimes only hangs PS, others bsod. May also happen seemingly randomly like double...
BSOD Help and Support
Repeated BSODs in Windows 7 RC.:|
hello people, been using Windows & for the past few months now, and I really must say its the best windows edition so far. The windows Installation was working fine for the past months when I started to have BSODs all of a sudden within 5-10minutes of booting.My PC had been reset about 3-4...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App