Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSoD while playing Saints Row IV. WhoCrashed claims ntoskrnl.exe


09 Sep 2013   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
BSoD while playing Saints Row IV. WhoCrashed claims ntoskrnl.exe

I am having issues with BSoD crashes while playing Saints Row IV, it happens randomly during play time, anywhere from as soon as I try to open up the first menu, to while I'm randomly running across the map, to the very end of a cut scene. I've tested both my OS SSD, and the HDD that the game is stored on, I've ran several tests for my memory, both the built in Windows version and Memtest86 over night. I stress tested both my CPU and my GPU and both stayed with in operating temperatures. I completely removed my Nvidia drivers and reinstalled them along with Realtek drivers. I have my chipset drivers up to date, and I believe everything else is as well. I have attempted to remove some Nvidia audio drivers as a long shot because I read they disagree with Realtek drivers. I've calculated my PSU estimates and have an 850W and am well over what is recommended. I also had one BSoD that WhoCrashed claimed was ntkrnlmp.exe I believe that was caused by the one time I started up 3D Mark and it BSoDed almost instantly.

I just build this computer four days ago and it's very fast, runs great every second it's not playing Saints Row IV. Grand Theft Auto IV froze but did not crash, Team Fortress II BSoded once, Dragon Age Origins has not crashed after two hours of playing, The Witcher 2 did not crash after an hour of playing. Payday 2 did not crash after one 45 minutes round.

I did not notice an issue before installing a big batch of Windows updates a couple days ago, but I also did not play Saints Row IV for an extended amount of time before that. I recently attempted to install the game on my SSD instead of HDD thinking it may have been the HDD or a SATA cable and the game BSoded fairly quickly again. I attempted to recover before that batch of updates but I don't have anything from before that.

I'm not doing anything overclocking yet, wanted to make sure everything was running smooth, and obviously it's not.

So I'm totally at a loss and can not think of anything else to look at. I think I've included just about everything I can, if you need anything else just ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

System Specs:
Custom Built Desktop
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
CPU
Intel 4770k
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory
G.Skill 16 GB DDR3 1600
Graphics Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 770
Hard Drives
Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD
WD Black 1 TB HDD
PSU
Corsair HX850
Antivirus
Windows Security Essentials

EDIT: I attached the actual minidump files as well.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Sep 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Welcome to the forum,
Code:
Model	ATA Samsung SSD 840 SCSI Disk Device
Please update the firmware of your SSD then tell us if you have any problems.
Code:
Built by: NOT FOUND
Debug session time: Sun Sep  8 06:59:41.651 2013 (UTC + 6:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:28:04.337
BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa800dfc3060, fffffa800dfc3340, fffff80002fdd0d0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by : wininit.exe
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xF4
PROCESS_NAME: NOT FOUND
ииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии``
Built by: NOT FOUND
Debug session time: Sun Sep  8 03:25:45.334 2013 (UTC + 6:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:05:12.020
BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa800e61cb30, fffffa800e61ce10, fffff80002fdb0d0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by : csrss.exe
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xF4
PROCESS_NAME: NOT FOUND
ииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии``
Built by: NOT FOUND
Debug session time: Sun Sep  8 02:46:07.208 2013 (UTC + 6:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:55:58.004
BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa800d0cc830, fffffa800d0ccb10, fffff80002fcc0d0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by : csrss.exe
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xF4
PROCESS_NAME: NOT FOUND
ииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии``
Built by: 7601.18113.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533
Debug session time: Fri Sep  6 21:57:46.211 2013 (UTC + 6:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:26:49.007
BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa800d209250, fffffa800d209530, fffff80002f7d350}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by : csrss.exe
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xF4_IOERR
PROCESS_NAME:  csrss.exe
ииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии``
Built by: 7601.18113.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533
Debug session time: Fri Sep  6 21:30:35.861 2013 (UTC + 6:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:17:27.673
BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa800e301330, fffffa800e301610, fffff80002fd8350}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by : csrss.exe
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xF4_c0000005
PROCESS_NAME:  csrss.exe
ииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии``
Regards,
koolkat
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Hmmm, Samsung Magician says my firmware was up to date. Currently installed firmware: EXT0AB0Q. And to be honest, I can't figure out how to make use of the "ENC File" I just downloaded from the Samsung website since Samsung Magician says things are up to date.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Sep 2013   #4
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 10, 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

First, let me ask where you downloaded the 'ENC' file from. I did not see anything like that on the Samsung site. I have 4 Samsung SSDs and have never seen an EMC file. If I'm understanding correctly, you are only having trouble with 1 game. No other problems. Is that correct. If so, I may suggest looking on the forums for that particular game and see if others are having troubles or if they give special instructions on how to install it. Both your CPU, motherboard and Graphics card are new technology. Sometimes it takes time for manufacturers and software designers to catch up. I know, I've been there. Are you running the latest firmware for your GTX770? Please check the Nvidia site and also read the release notes for the update. If you think it is a graphics problem, you may want to consider changing drivers if they have more than one at this early date. If you decide to do that, please let me know and I will explain a way to ensure you get the cleanest install. I have heard thar some people were having driver issues with the new 700 cards. It takes them a while to get everything right.

I would see if you would run a system file verification for me. It takes just a few minutes. Click the start button and type cmd in the search box. Right click the cmd entry and select 'run as administrator', in the window that opens copy/paste this into the window and press enter sfc /scannow It will check and attempt to repair any missing or corrupted system files. Let us know the results as well as info about the file you downloaded from Samsung.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2013   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
First, let me ask where you downloaded the 'ENC' file from. I did not see anything like that on the Samsung site. I have 4 Samsung SSDs and have never seen an EMC file. If I'm understanding correctly, you are only having trouble with 1 game. No other problems. Is that correct. If so, I may suggest looking on the forums for that particular game and see if others are having troubles or if they give special instructions on how to install it. Both your CPU, motherboard and Graphics card are new technology. Sometimes it takes time for manufacturers and software designers to catch up. I know, I've been there. Are you running the latest firmware for your GTX770? Please check the Nvidia site and also read the release notes for the update. If you think it is a graphics problem, you may want to consider changing drivers if they have more than one at this early date. If you decide to do that, please let me know and I will explain a way to ensure you get the cleanest install. I have heard thar some people were having driver issues with the new 700 cards. It takes them a while to get everything right.

I would see if you would run a system file verification for me. It takes just a few minutes. Click the start button and type cmd in the search box. Right click the cmd entry and select 'run as administrator', in the window that opens copy/paste this into the window and press enter sfc /scannow It will check and attempt to repair any missing or corrupted system files. Let us know the results as well as info about the file you downloaded from Samsung.
I went to the link koolkat posted and clicked on the 840 download link for the latest firmware and it gave me two "ENC" files.

As of right now I have had two games that have gone to a BSoD, one of them I am yet to try again, but Saints Row IV I have tried multiple times and get it fairly consistently. I've looked around to see if anyone else is having BSoD problems with Saints Row IV and there are a few, but nothing similar to what I'm having problems with. I'm also downloading Skyrim right now to test that and see if that game will crash or cause a BSoD.

I'm fairly sure I have the latest firmware for everything in my computer. I've run many system file verification's and they have all come up without any integrity violations, including the one I just ran to check again. I've also done something with the "verifier" that I had seen someone recommend on here as well, and nothing came up on that either. I have attached the file that I downloaded off of the Samsung site that I was linked to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2013   #6
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 10, 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

OK, I downloaded the 2 files for the 840. The file you downloaded (the ENC files) are to be used with the Samsung Magician software, what I think you want is the ISO file which I have attached.. Make sure it is the one for your SSD. It is for the 840, non Pro.
Attachment 285428

If you go to device manager, expand disk drives, select your SSD, right click and select properties, go to details tac, and select hardware ID's in the drop down menu (2nd option) the numbers on the very right side will tell you the firmware. You will see I am running DXM05B0Q.

Attachment 285430
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2013   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
OK, I downloaded the 2 files for the 840. The file you downloaded (the ENC files) are to be used with the Samsung Magician software, what I think you want is the ISO file which I have attached.. Make sure it is the one for your SSD. It is for the 840, non Pro.
Attachment 285428

If you go to device manager, expand disk drives, select your SSD, right click and select properties, go to details tac, and select hardware ID's in the drop down menu (2nd option) the numbers on the very right side will tell you the firmware. You will see I am running DXM05B0Q.

Attachment 285430
The file that you attached gives me the exact same "ENC" files, and my Samsung Magician says my firmware is up to date, so I don't know how I'm supposed to use those to update my firmware... And when I look at the hardware ID's on my SSD's properties there aren't any numbers by my values on the right side. Seems like an issue... I'll attach a picture.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2013   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 10, 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

The ABOQ looks like a possible beginning of a firmware number, but mine has never looked like that. I may have sent the wrong file. But, the link KoolKat provided has 2 downloads, 1 is for the Sammsung Magician, the one you downloaded, the other is for an .ISO file. Put a blank CD drive in and double click on the iso file. Windows disk image burner should come up unless you have a disk image burner installed. Have it burn (not copy) the iso to the CD, then boot from the CD and it should identify your SSD and update the firmware. I'll try to download the correct file again. Un zip it and there should be an ISO file there.

Attachment 285435

I checked and I did upload the wrong file last time. This should be the ISO. But go to Koolkats link and check that I downloaded the correct file for your SSD. You should be able to tell by the name of the firmware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2013   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
The ABOQ looks like a possible beginning of a firmware number, but mine has never looked like that. I may have sent the wrong file. But, the link KoolKat provided has 2 downloads, 1 is for the Sammsung Magician, the one you downloaded, the other is for an .ISO file. Put a blank CD drive in and double click on the iso file. Windows disk image burner should come up unless you have a disk image burner installed. Have it burn (not copy) the iso to the CD, then boot from the CD and it should identify your SSD and update the firmware. I'll try to download the correct file again. Un zip it and there should be an ISO file there.

Attachment 285435

I checked and I did upload the wrong file last time. This should be the ISO. But go to Koolkats link and check that I downloaded the correct file for your SSD. You should be able to tell by the name of the firmware.
The only problem I'm having with all of this, is that samsung magician says my firmware is up to date with firmware EXT0AB0Q, which seems like it would be more up to date than DXT08B0Q. Also, I have the 840 EVO, so I'm going to assume that makes a difference, since the EVO line was just released in July...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2013   #10
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 10, 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

Correct about the Evo. That is not the correct firmware I downloaded then. I would just go with what the magician said and not worry about a new firmware, there probably isn't a new one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSoD while playing Saints Row IV. WhoCrashed claims ntoskrnl.exe




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: BSoD while playing Saints Row IV. WhoCrashed claims ntoskrnl.exe
Thread Forum
Solved BSOD's, WhoCrashed says ntoskrnl.exe BSOD Help and Support
BSOD - hal.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, pci.sys - When playing Saints Row 4 BSOD Help and Support
Solved BSOD Playing Saints Row 4, several errors - Custom Rig BSOD Help and Support
BSOD playing games (DOTA 2/LoL/Saints Row IV) (Using OBS) BSOD Help and Support
Solved Randoms BSOD since ~1 week. WhoCrashed - ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe BSOD Help and Support
Solved BSOD randomly, mostly while playing saints row the third BSOD Help and Support
Driver stopped responding while playing Saints Row 3, then BSOD. Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

й Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33