Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD After using ASUS Sabertooth 990FX MOBO OC Utility.

21 Sep 2013   #71
huonub

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Okay, you were right! It was a 120mm! This entire time I had a High speed 120 sitting in my room bnip! I swapped that fan out and put the old rear fan on the bottom of the case(facing up, with the air flow pulling cold air into the case). I hope the adding of the new fan will pull more hot air out of the case and away from the components. Also, hopefully this lead to cooling temps on CPU, Since its pulling most of its air from about 2 inches from the V8 headsink.

So, now 2 x 200m, 3 x 120m


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Sep 2013   #72
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

huonub, everyone has their preference, but airflow in cases is important. Air moves all the timr through the cracks as wekk as the grates and pcie slot covers in the rear of the case. If you have positive airflow (more intake fans than exhaust) it pushes air from inside the case out those holes and grates. Negative pulls air in. Studies have shown tha positive airflow reduces dust build up by 30%. Traditional philosophy says hot air rises so the top fans should be exasut fans. But, hot air won't rise if there is enough air blowing down from thee top, it will push it out the top. Everyone has their preference. I have a HAF X, HAF XM, NZXT Switch 810 and a corsair 600T. Every one of my cases, all fans are intake except the rear 140mm or 120 in the 600T. I have little dust problem and have decent temps for my ambient's.

Also important is keeping the wiring from blocking airflow. All the wiring needs to be behind the motherboard and only the necessary wiring inside. Here is a great example of what good wiring should look like. It's an art and not many can do it this way, but the closer you can come, the better off you are.

Attachment 286723
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2013   #73
ganjiry

Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

+ 1
It can never be tidy/cool enough inside your case.

Right chaps it's game over for me It's been a long day and i can barely keep my eye's open. Time to try n get some kip i think.
Catch ya in a couple of hours!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Sep 2013   #74
huonub

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
huonub, everyone has their preference, but airflow in cases is important. Air moves all the timr through the cracks as wekk as the grates and pcie slot covers in the rear of the case. If you have positive airflow (more intake fans than exhaust) it pushes air from inside the case out those holes and grates. Negative pulls air in. Studies have shown tha positive airflow reduces dust build up by 30%. Traditional philosophy says hot air rises so the top fans should be exasut fans. But, hot air won't rise if there is enough air blowing down from thee top, it will push it out the top. Everyone has their preference. I have a HAF X, HAF XM, NZXT Switch 810 and a corsair 600T. Every one of my cases, all fans are intake except the rear 140mm or 120 in the 600T. I have little dust problem and have decent temps for my ambient's.

Also important is keeping the wiring from blocking airflow. All the wiring needs to be behind the motherboard and only the necessary wiring inside. Here is a great example of what good wiring should look like. It's an art and not many can do it this way, but the closer you can come, the better off you are.

Attachment 286723
That's a nice clean case!. Mine isn't too shabby. I have my wires pushed to the side out of the way of the fans. Well, I ran prime95 all night, and highest temp it got to at one point for 54C for socket and CPU, but its average was 52.3 C for both. No cores failed, so that looks good. Do I have room for higher overclock? Or is that too hot to go any further? Once again, I cannot think you guys enough!

P.S. - Any idea on how to OC a video card? I just wanted to see if I can squeeze out a little more FPS from it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2013   #75
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

That sounds good about your Prime run. As far as overclocking room, I'll have to let ganjiry abswer that one. But, the game really is a better cooling solution gives us all more head room to overclock. While running Prime push the Validate button and use your seven forums user name and your email address to validate the score then post it here Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards
Just remember you have to be a little crazy to keep up with us crazy ones in that thread, but we have fun. The validation sort of makes it official. You can get a lot of help there too.

As far as overclocking the graphics card, yes you can, but my experience is it's not really worth it for what you gain. Like CPUs, some do better than others. Does Asus come with a Utility for that? most companies do. If not you could use MSI Afterburner. It is a good program for overclocking as well as many other things, like custom fan profiles, and on screen displays of whatever you want to see. I usually have my EVGA utility showing temp, fan speed, FPS and such.

We also have another part that will show off some great builds and it's fun too. Show Us Your Rig [5]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2013   #76
ganjiry

Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Looking good to me mate
You could try going a tad higher, maybe 4.3-4.4Ghz just be sure to keep an eye on your cpu temp as the recommended max is 62c. you'll only really be limited by your temps so can go to as higher frequency as your temps allow. It's just a matter of trying
All you will need to adjust is the Cpu ratio and then raise the vcore untill it's stable.

As for overclocking your gpu, You should read lots again
This is a guide for overclocking the Gtx670 but its the same principle ~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~

Have a look at this video too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCW4TRxCbeU

Google is your friend
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2013   #77
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Also, don'ttrust the software temps a whole lot. I don't, they are software after all and not exactly accurate. I try to stay well below my max temp.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2013   #78
ganjiry

Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Also, don'ttrust the software temps a whole lot. I don't, they are software after all and not exactly accurate. I try to stay well below my max temp.
+1 to that especially video benchmarks. For some reason most of them seem to read temps about 10c below actual temp's. For me anyway.

Remember to only use 1 program to monitor your cpu and 1 for your gpu. As Steve said MSI Afterburner iis very good and is must when running an Nvidia gpu. The default fan profile will be aimed at low noise so will let your gpu heat up more. Creating a custom fan curve will allow you to control the temp more.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2013   #79
huonub

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
That sounds good about your Prime run. As far as overclocking room, I'll have to let ganjiry abswer that one. But, the game really is a better cooling solution gives us all more head room to overclock. While running Prime push the Validate button and use your seven forums user name and your email address to validate the score then post it here Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards
Just remember you have to be a little crazy to keep up with us crazy ones in that thread, but we have fun. The validation sort of makes it official. You can get a lot of help there too.

As far as overclocking the graphics card, yes you can, but my experience is it's not really worth it for what you gain. Like CPUs, some do better than others. Does Asus come with a Utility for that? most companies do. If not you could use MSI Afterburner. It is a good program for overclocking as well as many other things, like custom fan profiles, and on screen displays of whatever you want to see. I usually have my EVGA utility showing temp, fan speed, FPS and such.

We also have another part that will show off some great builds and it's fun too. Show Us Your Rig [5]
Yes sir, it does come with a twearker. I am just not really knowing what direction to go. It has a prebuilt Gaming profile. I was looking to gain another 10-20 more FPS

Also, I need to try that Validation.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ganjiry View Post
Looking good to me mate
You could try going a tad higher, maybe 4.3-4.4Ghz just be sure to keep an eye on your cpu temp as the recommended max is 62c. you'll only really be limited by your temps so can go to as higher frequency as your temps allow. It's just a matter of trying
All you will need to adjust is the Cpu ratio and then raise the vcore untill it's stable.

As for overclocking your gpu, You should read lots again
This is a guide for overclocking the Gtx670 but its the same principle ~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~

Have a look at this video too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCW4TRxCbeU

Google is your friend
Most definitely have to try upping my speeds. Hehe, I tried google good sir! Just nothing on my card came up. I am a very by the rule person. I really hope you guys don't think I am trying to get spoon fed. I certainly did my research before hand, just so that I didn't annoy anyone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2013   #80
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

You're fine with us. We all had to learn some way. Just always watch your temps and don't go too high or you could damage your CPU or GPU. If you get too hot but want to go higher, look into a better cooler. Keep laying with the bios and learn it. Know what each term is and what it does and what it will do if you change it. It's hard to write a guide on that except in general terms as all CPUs and boards are different. Some CPUs will overclock much better than others. That is from the manufacturing process. If you follow the general guidelines you will find your limit, whether it is your CPU's limit or the Temp limit. The CPU's limit, there is nothing you can do unless you want to buy another one hoping it will be better. If it is a temp limit, you can get a better CPU cooler. Try the Validation and go to the Overclocking leader boards on this Forum. You will learn a lot and have some fun. But be warned, we are all a little crazy there, some more than others. Also be warned, overclocking can become an obsession.

As far as the card, go by the link ganjiry posted on the 670. The 660 TI is basically the same and it should work for your card as well. MSI Afterburner is a good program, I have an EVGA Card and their utility is called Precision X. But, it is basically the exact same thing as most utilities are. Set you a custom fan profile. If your card is not loud and the noise it makes does not bother you, set an aggressive profile. Keep temps below 70 if at all possible. These cards throttle begining at 70. A good test to run is Ungine heaven V4.0. use their preset of extrene and run it. But, again watch your temps. That can be your guide as to how well you're doing. Then we also have a post your Heaven scores thread ( http://www.sevenforums.com/pc-custom...rk-scores.html) At the beginning of the thread all scores were with Heaven 3.0, somewhere in the middle they came out with V 4.0 which is a little harder, so you may want to start at the end and work backward. Another good utility similar to CPUz for graphics cards is GPUz. It just gives you a lot of information about your card.

We'll still be here as long as you need us. That's what we do. and don't worry about asking questions. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

EDIT: I just used bing and found this. How to overclock the 660 with Afterburner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD After using ASUS Sabertooth 990FX MOBO OC Utility.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
z87 mobo sabertooth , ribbon cable - dvd drive
well im tired and i must be missing somthing but i dont see any place to plug the ribbon cable in theres also these pci e cables on the hx power pack that have no spaces that i can see to plug in to ( i forget were they go ) but yea im gussing the ribbon cable has been phased out and iv missed...
Hardware & Devices
My Asus Sabertooth 990fx reading RAM wrong and Video card issues.
My Motherboard reads the RAM lower than the speed it is suppose to go, when I have installed G-Skill Sniper 8GB 2x4GB 1600 Mhz. But when I manually choose it too 1600Mhz it wont boot. Also my EVGA GTX 660 SC 2GB's FPS has been dropping from like 100 - 30 in some Source games like GMOD. I have never...
Hardware & Devices
Install windows 8 on sabertooth 990fx R1
as above says is this possible
General Discussion
Sabertooth 990FX wont let me set ram to 1866
hello, having a bit of a problem, i have g skill sniper 1866 9-10-9-28 ram when i go into the BIOS it only allows me to go up to 1600, but the manual and board clearly says itll work with 1866 anybody know if im going to have to overclock? the site doesnt say i should need to. any help...
Hardware & Devices
Sabertooth 990FX onboard Microphone..
Hi guys, Basically I'm making some let's play YT vids and I have a Roccat Kave 5.1 SS headset. I can't get any volume that's acceptable on the mic unless it's at 30 decibels, but that's just feedback heaven. I used to use the same mic as Tobuscus the Yt'er but still I got feedback at 30...
Sound & Audio
Asus Sabertooth X58 sound driver
Sabertooth X58 motherboard- When I install the latest sound driver for my motherboard from Asus, the sound quality deteriorates, and the recording has a loud fuzzy ghosting sound in the background. Anyone else experience this problem?
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App