Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD mbfilt64.sys (MBfilt64+0x1817)

07 Oct 2013   #11
Newboi

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I have recently notice from running Prime95 that it detects 1 error and says there's a hardware failure. My system doesn't crash though and Task Manager shows all 4 cores and 8 threads active.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Oct 2013   #12
YoYo155

Windows 10
 
 

Thanks for the feedback .
Is Driver Verifier still enabled?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
I haven't ran into a bluescreen again yet, but I still have the issue where Some of my high end games spontaneously exits. I assume if I increase the tdrDelay to prevent windows from resetting my graphics driver, my computer would probably still bluescreen.

This has happened across several driver updates for my geforce cards, even after doing driver cleaner and installing completely fresh updated drivers.

I've run Memtest86+ multiple times for my ram and that checks out fine, so I've pretty much ruled out my ram. I just want to find a way to isolate whether the problems I have are definitely a driver issue or a hardware issue. If it's a hardware issue, how I can isolate the problem. I tried running burn-in tests on each card individually, but I haven't gotten any issues to arise yet.
Are you getting a crash to desktop or TDRs?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
I have recently notice from running Prime95 that it detects 1 error and says there's a hardware failure. My system doesn't crash though and Task Manager shows all 4 cores and 8 threads active.
Could be an indicator of an unstable overclock, are you now running at stock speeds
across all of the overclocked components (RAM, GPU(s), CPU) ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2013   #13
Newboi

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YoYo155 View Post
Thanks for the feedback .
Is Driver Verifier still enabled?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
I haven't ran into a bluescreen again yet, but I still have the issue where Some of my high end games spontaneously exits. I assume if I increase the tdrDelay to prevent windows from resetting my graphics driver, my computer would probably still bluescreen.

This has happened across several driver updates for my geforce cards, even after doing driver cleaner and installing completely fresh updated drivers.

I've run Memtest86+ multiple times for my ram and that checks out fine, so I've pretty much ruled out my ram. I just want to find a way to isolate whether the problems I have are definitely a driver issue or a hardware issue. If it's a hardware issue, how I can isolate the problem. I tried running burn-in tests on each card individually, but I haven't gotten any issues to arise yet.
Are you getting a crash to desktop or TDRs?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
I have recently notice from running Prime95 that it detects 1 error and says there's a hardware failure. My system doesn't crash though and Task Manager shows all 4 cores and 8 threads active.
Could be an indicator of an unstable overclock, are you now running at stock speeds
across all of the overclocked components (RAM, GPU(s), CPU) ?
I'm getting CTDs mainly. I tried increasing the TdrDelay, but I still get CTDs with no reported graphics driver reset by Windows currently.

I'm running my processor at stock speeds, but my Ram is running under an XMP profile. The Ram XMP profile is for 1600 Mhz at 1.65 Volts. If you look at my System Specs, you can get the exact model number for the Ram.

Edit: When it comes to Driver Verifier. It's currently not enabled, but I did have it enabled for about 2 hours earlier and I didn't get a crash. The funny thing is that I tried running the Battlefield 4 beta while I had Driver Verifier running and I was able to the play the game for about an hour with no crashes, though the performance was noticeably hampered.

Edit2: As a random side note, my motherboard bios is updated to the latest version provided by Asrock 2.90. I also have the latest Video Card bios for both of my video cards. I did notice however that the memory manufacturer for each card is different, though they are the same Gigabyte Windforce GTX670 cards. One card has GDDR5 memory manufactured by Samsung (the newer of the two cards) and the other has GDDR5 memory manufactured by Hynix (the older card).

Edit3: My GPUs are are stock overclocked as proposed by Gigabyte. I'm not sure what the stock clocks should be though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Oct 2013   #14
YoYo155

Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
I'm getting CTDs mainly. I tried increasing the TdrDelay, but I still get CTDs with no reported graphics driver reset by Windows currently.
When TDRs occur Windows does it's to let you know about it, so I don't think they are happening at the moment, especially if you're simply crashing to the desktop without any flickering of the display.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
I'm running my processor at stock speeds, but my Ram is running under an XMP profile. The Ram XMP profile is for 1600 Mhz at 1.65 Volts. If you look at my System Specs, you can get the exact model number for the Ram.
The XMP profiles are safe to use (most of the time except fot the extreme ones).
I'm more worried about your motherboard which has a very bad reputation of under reporting voltages and temperatures along with a poor phase design .
You said earlier that you're running @4.4GHz with a 1.065 Volts which is ridiculously low,
my CPU idles @1.6GHz with a 1.096 Volts, just for comparison.
What you're describing does sound like an unstable CPU.
I have my share of OC experience but mainly on one CPU, while finding the sweetspot of my CPU
I too experienced an unstable OS with apps crashing out of nowhere.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
Edit: When it comes to Driver Verifier. It's currently not enabled, but I did have it enabled for about 2 hours earlier and I didn't get a crash. The funny thing is that I tried running the Battlefield 4 beta while I had Driver Verifier running and I was able to the play the game for about an hour with no crashes, though the performance was noticeably hampered.
That is normal DV takes up a fair chunk of system resources.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
Edit2: As a random side note, my motherboard bios is updated to the latest version provided by Asrock 2.90. I also have the latest Video Card bios for both of my video cards. I did notice however that the memory manufacturer for each card is different, though they are the same Gigabyte Windforce GTX670 cards. One card has GDDR5 memory manufactured by Samsung (the newer of the two cards) and the other has GDDR5 memory manufactured by Hynix (the older card).
I don't think it's an issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2013   #15
Newboi

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YoYo155 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
I'm getting CTDs mainly. I tried increasing the TdrDelay, but I still get CTDs with no reported graphics driver reset by Windows currently.
When TDRs occur Windows does it's to let you know about it, so I don't think they are happening at the moment, especially if you're simply crashing to the desktop without any flickering of the display.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
I'm running my processor at stock speeds, but my Ram is running under an XMP profile. The Ram XMP profile is for 1600 Mhz at 1.65 Volts. If you look at my System Specs, you can get the exact model number for the Ram.
The XMP profiles are safe to use (most of the time except fot the extreme ones).
I'm more worried about your motherboard which has a very bad reputation of under reporting voltages and temperatures along with a poor phase design .
You said earlier that you're running @4.4GHz with a 1.065 Volts which is ridiculously low,
my CPU idles @1.6GHz with a 1.096 Volts, just for comparison.
What you're describing does sound like an unstable CPU.
I have my share of OC experience but mainly on one CPU, while finding the sweetspot of my CPU
I too experienced an unstable OS with apps crashing out of nowhere.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
Edit: When it comes to Driver Verifier. It's currently not enabled, but I did have it enabled for about 2 hours earlier and I didn't get a crash. The funny thing is that I tried running the Battlefield 4 beta while I had Driver Verifier running and I was able to the play the game for about an hour with no crashes, though the performance was noticeably hampered.
That is normal DV takes up a fair chunk of system resources.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
Edit2: As a random side note, my motherboard bios is updated to the latest version provided by Asrock 2.90. I also have the latest Video Card bios for both of my video cards. I did notice however that the memory manufacturer for each card is different, though they are the same Gigabyte Windforce GTX670 cards. One card has GDDR5 memory manufactured by Samsung (the newer of the two cards) and the other has GDDR5 memory manufactured by Hynix (the older card).
I don't think it's an issue.
Thanks for the insight. I am running at Stock clocks again now with everything in the bios setting for the CPU set to Auto. The CTDs I was describing above have been happening at Stock clocks. I'll also try and run my ram at stock, non-XMP, settings and see if things improve.

The CTDs still happen with games like Battlefield 4 Beta, Crysis 3, and Metro Last Light. Hopefully I'll have time today to run my modded Skryim and see if I can get my computer to Bluescreen. If there's one title that has started to consistently bluescreen my computer, it's Skryim with all of the visual and texture mods (this is with SLI enabled).

Edit1: I just noticed that my memory isn't on the support memory list for my motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%2...e4/?cat=Memory

My supports the proper XMP profile however. I wouldn't think buying two 2 module kits would pose any problems would it?

Edit 2: I was searching on the internet and found someone with a similar issue to me.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-crashing.html

He was able to solve his problem by forcing the windows power plan to high performance (though I don't see how this applies to a desktop), and by increasing the stock voltage running to the CPU. Everything on my motherboard when it comes to CPU settings is set to auto currently.

Edit 3: I have reset the ram profile to auto, which dials it back down to 1333 Mhz. I reran Prime95 for over an hour and haven't received any errors. I've also run BF4 again and didn't receive a CTD within 20min, but not sure if things are truly better yet. I'm wondering how negatively my performance is impacted from pumping the ramspeet back to 1333 vs 1600 Mhz.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2013   #16
YoYo155

Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
Edit1: I just noticed that my memory isn't on the support memory list for my motherboard.

ASRock > Z77 Extreme4

My supports the proper XMP profile however. I wouldn't think buying two 2 module kits would pose any problems would it?
Those lists are a good indicator to go by as a rule of thumb, they are often not very comprehensive
and usually ending up short with regards to real world compatibility.
With that said it's something to keep in mind.
I personally don't have experience with asrock boards, but they don't strike me the type of company that
takes the taime and resources to validate pretty much everything, the likes of intel or Asus.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
Edit 3: I have reset the ram profile to auto, which dials it back down to 1333 Mhz. I reran Prime95 for over an hour and haven't received any errors. I've also run BF4 again and didn't receive a CTD within 20min, but not sure if things are truly better yet. I'm wondering how negatively my performance is impacted from pumping the ramspeet back to 1333 vs 1600 Mhz.
Seeing that you have a dedicated GPU, with wicked fast memory of its own, I don't think you would feel
or even notice the difference between the two maybe only in synthetic benchmarks.
Keep things this way for a week or so and if all is well, post an update and mark as solved .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2013   #17
Newboi

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YoYo155 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
Edit1: I just noticed that my memory isn't on the support memory list for my motherboard.

ASRock > Z77 Extreme4

My supports the proper XMP profile however. I wouldn't think buying two 2 module kits would pose any problems would it?
Those lists are a good indicator to go by as a rule of thumb, they are often not very comprehensive
and usually ending up short with regards to real world compatibility.
With that said it's something to keep in mind.
I personally don't have experience with asrock boards, but they don't strike me the type of company that
takes the taime and resources to validate pretty much everything, the likes of intel or Asus.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
Edit 3: I have reset the ram profile to auto, which dials it back down to 1333 Mhz. I reran Prime95 for over an hour and haven't received any errors. I've also run BF4 again and didn't receive a CTD within 20min, but not sure if things are truly better yet. I'm wondering how negatively my performance is impacted from pumping the ramspeet back to 1333 vs 1600 Mhz.
Seeing that you have a dedicated GPU, with wicked fast memory of its own, I don't think you would feel
or even notice the difference between the two maybe only in synthetic benchmarks.
Keep things this way for a week or so and if all is well, post an update and mark as solved .

Sure thing. Thanks for all of your help YoYo155! Your help and input has been very much appreciated and has helped to save me alot of extra grief over this issue. I'll be testing for a week and I'll get back to you with the results.


Edit1: As a side note, I'm pretty sure I'm not buying anymore Asrock products lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2013   #18
YoYo155

Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newboi View Post
Sure thing. Thanks for all of your help YoYo155! Your help and input has been very much appreciated and has helped to save me alot of extra grief over this issue. I'll be testing for a week and I'll get back to you with the results.
I am happy to be .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD mbfilt64.sys (MBfilt64+0x1817)




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App