Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD Waking up from Sleep

24 Oct 2009   #1
Baba

Windows 7 Professional
 
 
BSOD Waking up from Sleep

Installed Windows 7 Professional x64 today on my HP laptop with ATI Radeon 3400 series graphics and an AMD Turion X2 Ultra 2.10 GHz.

I tried searching for a solution but couldnt find one. I saw one thread about it but no help. I just always get a BSOD when waking from sleep mode, usually right after I try to log back in.


MINIDUMPS:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/391553/minidump.zip

if you figure out the problem, can i have a step by step procedure to fix it, not just the cause.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Oct 2009   #2
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Curious.

Does the same crash occur irrespective of whether or not you've got an SD card in the laptop's inbuilt SD reader at the point where you send it to sleep and wake it back up?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #3
Baba

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

there is nothing in the SD Card Reader. I have never used it. That's really odd lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Oct 2009   #4
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Baba View Post
there is nothing in the SD Card Reader. I have never used it. That's really odd lol.
Do me a favour - whack an SD card in there and test what happens when the machine resumes from sleep. I'd be interested to see the minidump from that crash.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #5
Baba

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

um. lol......it didnt crash this time WITH the SD Card in. again...odd.

*EDIT**
i tried it again without the sd card so here's another minidump if it helps:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/391553/minidump2.zip

is there a way i can disable the SD Reader or will i have to keep a SD card in all the time?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #6
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Baba View Post
um. lol......it didnt crash this time WITH the SD Card in. again...odd.

*EDIT**
i tried it again without the sd card so here's another minidump if it helps:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/391553/minidump2.zip

is there a way i can disable the SD Reader or will i have to keep a SD card in all the time?
Is the pattern consistent - it crashes without an SD card but it's fine of there's a card in the reader?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #7
usasma
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Interesting that each crash is blamed on SDBus.sys (SecureDigital Bus Driver from Microsoft)
Also, this driver is outdated: AtiPcie.sys Mon Nov 06 11:59:54 2006 I'd suggest updating it ASAP as it's responsible for some lower level functions on your motherboard.

I wonder if there's a security feature that wasn't installed when Windows 7 was installed? Have you run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and have you checked Device Manager for unknown/unidentified/malfunctioning devices?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #8
Baba

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Is the pattern consistent - it crashes without an SD card but it's fine of there's a card in the reader?
Yes, the pattern is consistent. Every time WITHOUT the SD Card it crashes, and never crashes WITH an SD Card.

I just disabled the SD Reader's driver so now it doesnt crash anymore. I guess if the problem isnt solved, I'll just enable it if i ever need it but keep it shut off most of the time.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
Interesting that each crash is blamed on SDBus.sys (SecureDigital Bus Driver from Microsoft)
Also, this driver is outdated: AtiPcie.sys Mon Nov 06 11:59:54 2006 I'd suggest updating it ASAP as it's responsible for some lower level functions on your motherboard.

I wonder if there's a security feature that wasn't installed when Windows 7 was installed? Have you run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and have you checked Device Manager for unknown/unidentified/malfunctioning devices?
Ok, i just updated the ATI graphics driver (which im guessing thats what the Atipcie.sys thingamabob was). I have no idea if there was anything not installed during the Windows 7 installation. And i have no idea what SFC.EXE is. I tried running it but i only saw a quick flash of a command prompt screen. So I dunno.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #9
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Is the pattern consistent - it crashes without an SD card but it's fine of there's a card in the reader?
Yes, the pattern is consistent. Every time WITHOUT the SD Card it crashes, and never crashes WITH an SD Card.
Very interesting. I think your laptop's SD reader/controller may be subtly broken. It is indicating the presence of an SD card even when nothing's there, and then going "who? me? Naaah" in response to being asked to do something about it. With the card in the drive, it indicates presence, but is then able to handle it properly, hence the lack of a crash.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Baba View Post
I just disabled the SD Reader's driver so now it doesnt crash anymore. I guess if the problem isnt solved, I'll just enable it if i ever need it but keep it shut off most of the time.
Probably a viable workaround, especially if you never use it

It's possible that a (future) BIOS update may help to resolve the problem completely.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #10
Baba

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

ok cool. thanks a lot for finding the problem. and updating my graphics card helped me with another problem, since i thought i already updated it.

thanks!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD Waking up from Sleep




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD After Waking From Sleep
Hi, I have been having several crashes when waking from sleep. I got the latest drivers for all my kit when I did a fresh install last week and the firmware on the SSDs is the latest available. The problem occurs when I move my mouse to wake the PC, it thinks about it then crashes and...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD from waking up from sleep
This morning when I tried to wake up my computer, nothing would display on the computer screen. I had to turn it off and then turn it back on. As it tried to resume windows, I got the BSOD. When I restarted my computer, I got the following message: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: ...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD After waking up from sleep
I keep getting a blue screen every time my computer wakes up from hibernate or sleep. I just recently installed an SSD, so there might be an issue there. I have disabled hybrid sleep mode, but that didn't change anything. There is newer firmware for the SSD than what I have, but I don't want to...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD When Waking PC from Sleep
Hi Everone, im not really new hear since I have been to this forum before but this is my first time actually registering. I seem to be having this problem with windows 7 when waking the PC from sleep. It will work fine for a few hours and then bam I get hit with a BSOD giving me this error: ...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD after waking from sleep
Hello all~ I've been reading all the posts about BSOD after sleep trying to understand the problem, since my computer does the same thing. I've updated all the drivers I can think of but the problem is still there. I was wondering if you guys could help me out! I've included the zip file...
BSOD Help and Support
Bsod after waking from sleep.
Running amd phenom 955x4, ga-880gm usb3 motherboard, kingston hyperx blu 4g 1600 ddr3, Caviar green 1.5tb drive and GV-R545SC-1GI graphics card. Built this system about 4 weeks ago, has been pretty unstable, bsods when waking from sleep but not all the time. Thought it was the printer driver but...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App