Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD error 0x00000124

13 Feb 2014   #1
RemyInTheSky

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
BSOD error 0x00000124

So here's my story. I bought my new desktop/pc back on October 8th. All seemed fine until I came across my first bsod on the 30th. Since then bsod's have occurred on a monthly basis, the last 4 of them have had this same error code, the latest of which was last night. So after researching the 0x00000124 code I figured my pc was likely overheating due to the excessive amount of dust build up as my house is prone to heaps of dust.
And the amount of dust I just cleared out of this thing was staggering... but I'm not the expert here. It could be something completely irrelevant for all I know.

Let me know if I've done something wrong.

Thank you!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Feb 2014   #2
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2014   #3
RemyInTheSky

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Fixed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Feb 2014   #4
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RemyInTheSky View Post
And the amount of dust I just cleared out of this thing was staggering... but I'm not the expert here. It could be something completely irrelevant for all I know.

Let me know if I've done something wrong.

Thank you!
Dusting is not irrelevant at all for a stop 0x124. A very good step taken there.

Do some more things.

Is the computer hot? Report us the heat of the computer after a couple of hours of your normal usage. Upload a screenshot of the summery tab of Speccy. Alternatively, you can publish a Speccy snapshot too: Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs .

Test your RAM modules for possible errors.
How to Test and Diagnose RAM Issues with Memtest86+
Run memtest for at least 8 passes, preferably overnight.
If it start showing errors/red lines, stop testing. A single error is enough to determine that something is going bad there.

Stress test the Graphics Card using Furmark.
Video Card - Stress Test with Furmark

Stress test the CPU.
Hardware - Stress Test With Prime95

Let us know the results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2014   #5
roy69

Windows 7 64bit home premium
 
 

in addition to what has been said look in device manager for any yellow triangles.
On your event app there is a problem id that points to sm_bus (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C22&SUBSYS_50011458&REV_04) plus others.
There are also other errors due to drivers not being found.
This could be a false positive due to the hardware not being present but searched for.
You also have lightshot and netsession_win.exe loaded on startup. did you install these or did these get installed when you ran updates of programs like adobe?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2014   #6
RemyInTheSky

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Dusting is not irrelevant at all for a stop 0x124. A very good step taken there.

Do some more things.

Is the computer hot? Report us the heat of the computer after a couple of hours of your normal usage. Upload a screenshot of the summery tab of Speccy. Alternatively, you can publish a Speccy snapshot too: Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs .

Test your RAM modules for possible errors.
How to Test and Diagnose RAM Issues with Memtest86+
Run memtest for at least 8 passes, preferably overnight.
If it start showing errors/red lines, stop testing. A single error is enough to determine that something is going bad there.

Stress test the Graphics Card using Furmark.
Video Card - Stress Test with Furmark

Stress test the CPU.
Hardware - Stress Test With Prime95

Let us know the results.
Speccy snapshot after being on for 24 hours.http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7...4dUuyvThWpeBDt

Stress testing the GPU for around 10 minutes levelled out the temperature no higher than 55 C. No artifacts observed.

And stress testing the CPU levelled out the temperature no high than 75 C after running the program for about 6 hours. No errors appeared to show up.

I'm still yet to test the RAM with Memtest86 which I will do within a few days. So for the moment this is all I can tell you.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roy69 View Post
in addition to what has been said look in device manager for any yellow triangles.
On your event app there is a problem id that points to sm_bus (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C22&SUBSYS_50011458&REV_04) plus others.
There are also other errors due to drivers not being found.
This could be a false positive due to the hardware not being present but searched for.
You also have lightshot and netsession_win.exe loaded on startup. did you install these or did these get installed when you ran updates of programs like adobe?
1) The only thing in device manager that comes up with a yellow triangle is the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter: http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/151/8w47.png
2) I installed Lightshot on its own and I have no idea what netsession_win.exe is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2014   #7
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

OK, let us know the results when the tests are done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2014   #8
RemyInTheSky

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
OK, let us know the results when the tests are done.
No errors found during the RAM test after 8 passes. So overall every test you have suggested hasn't indicated any issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2014   #9
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Not good. In that case the issue is more deeper. Follow the rest as per Stop 0x124 - what it means and what to try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD error 0x00000124




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD 0x00000124 error
Hi, Below are my specs: OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit CPU Intel i5 3570k Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme 3 Memory
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD error 0x00000124
Hello so i have spent the last week with this BSOD that keeps poping up when i dont want it. Been working long days and now i got time to try to fix it. So I reinstalled Windows 7 home prem hoping that would solve it. Nah the problem is still there i get the same error every time. Its been over a...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD error 0x00000124. Please Help!
Bought a refurbished Lenovo T430s a week ago. Got a BSOD (blue screen) in the first day. Went out of town and did not use it for a week. Then, the BSOD appears again today. I am not a PC expert, but I know 124 is related to hardware. Attached is the dump file as well as the screen shot. I will...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD while in Photoshop CS5,error 0x0000009c, error 0x00000124
hello guys! After a year of daily BSODs with errors 0x0000009c and 0x00000124 i decided to ask for your help. I am having them mainly while drawing in Photoshop Cs5 and on idling. It would be nice if someone could help me.. My System Spec: cpu: i7 970 3.2Ghz Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Error 0x00000124
BSOD after windows update, error 0x00000124. I have attached the .dmp file if anyone could help. Thanks in advance
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD error 0x00000124
Hi Everyone, I had this PC custom build about 8 months ago. In the last few months ive been getting BSOD numerous times a day. System Spec Windows 7 Professional 64bit Intel I7 2600K Asus Motherboard 8 Gig Ram Nividia GTX 570
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:14.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App