Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: reboot and select proper boot device

18 Jun 2014   #1
bmurts

windows 7
 
 
reboot and select proper boot device

I just tried putting a new hard drive in and it comes up with ''reboot and select proper boot device". I try going in to bios setting (asus utility) and my original hard drive is still the first to boot but it still wont work. Even even when I try to remove the new hard drive it still comes up with this, im not replacing hard drives BTW just adding an extra.
Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Jun 2014   #2
PeregrineX

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Your MBR might be corrupted.

Do you still have your windows installation disk? If so, put it in your computer, and boot up your desktop. It should boot from the dvd automatically, but in case it doesn't, follow this tutorial. Follow any instructions it brings up, but when you see a windows that says "Install Windows", look for a link that says "Repair My Computer", and click that instead. Follow instructions, if any, and click on "Command Prompt" once you see it in a window.

Next, what you want to do is run these two commands:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot


You can now restart, and we'll hope that it can boot again.

Best of luck,

PeregrineX
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2014   #3
bmurts

windows 7
 
 

Hi, should I do this with the original hard drive in or both?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Jun 2014   #4
bmurts

windows 7
 
 

Hi should I do this with both hard drives in or just the original?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeregrineX View Post
Your MBR might be
corrupted.

Do you still have your windows installation disk? If so, put it in your computer, and boot up your desktop. It should boot from the dvd automatically, but in case it doesn't, follow this tutorial. Follow any instructions it brings up, but when you see a windows that says "Install Windows", look for a link that says "Repair My Computer", and click that instead. Follow instructions, if any, and click on "Command Prompt" once you see it in a window.

Next, what you want to do is run these two commands:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot


You can now restart, and we'll hope that it can boot again.

Best of luck,

PeregrineX
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2014   #5
PeregrineX

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bmurts View Post
Hi should I do this with both hard drives in or just the original?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeregrineX View Post
Your MBR might be
corrupted.

Do you still have your windows installation disk? If so, put it in your computer, and boot up your desktop. It should boot from the dvd automatically, but in case it doesn't, follow this tutorial. Follow any instructions it brings up, but when you see a windows that says "Install Windows", look for a link that says "Repair My Computer", and click that instead. Follow instructions, if any, and click on "Command Prompt" once you see it in a window.

Next, what you want to do is run these two commands:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot


You can now restart, and we'll hope that it can boot again.

Best of luck,

PeregrineX
Only on the boot hard drive, but I believe that it selects it automatically when you run the commands.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2014   #6
bmurts

windows 7
 
 

Even with the hard drive in, I cant select it when I'm in the repair settings. I dont know why this is, im pretty sure it's all plugged in correctly


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeregrineX View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bmurts View Post
Hi should I do this with both hard drives in or just the original?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeregrineX View Post
Your MBR might be
corrupted.

Do you still have your windows installation disk? If so, put it in your computer, and boot up your desktop. It should boot from the dvd automatically, but in case it doesn't, follow this tutorial. Follow any instructions it brings up, but when you see a windows that says "Install Windows", look for a link that says "Repair My Computer", and click that instead. Follow instructions, if any, and click on "Command Prompt" once you see it in a window.

Next, what you want to do is run these two commands:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot


You can now restart, and we'll hope that it can boot again.

Best of luck,

PeregrineX
Only on the boot hard drive, but I believe that it selects it automatically when you run the commands.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2014   #7
PeregrineX

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Before where you type the commands in, does it say "X:\Sources>", or did you try to change the directory to your C:\ drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2014   #8
bmurts

windows 7
 
 

I dont even think I got up to that bit, I click load drivers then I have to select a storage device (my hard drive) but it doesn't show up




Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeregrineX View Post
Before where you type the commands in, does it say "X:\Sources>", or did you try to change the directory to your C:\ drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2014   #9
PeregrineX

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bmurts View Post
I dont even think I got up to that bit, I click load drivers then I have to select a storage device (my hard drive) but it doesn't show up




Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeregrineX View Post
Before where you type the commands in, does it say "X:\Sources>", or did you try to change the directory to your C:\ drive?
Oh, I understand now! Also, sorry for the delay.

I need your system specs so I can figure out what drivers you need to download.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 reboot and select proper boot device




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Reboot & Select proper Boot device
Hi I am new and created my account for this but will be sticking around. So recently I was playing a game but then feel asleep while playing, when I woke up and turned on my pc this came up. I have been reading and watching videos for about 5 hours and going through BIOS trying to fix it but...
General Discussion
Reboot and select proper boot device
Hi guys, I have searched the forum and tried some of the solutions but it does not solve my problem. I had disconnected my had and reconnected it but to no avail. I can't even enter the bios setup screen, I can only enter the asrock setup utility screen. Does this mean my hdd is spoilt? Thanks for...
Hardware & Devices
reboot and select proper boot device.
Hi, i wasn't sure what section to put this problem in so decided on general. I have a asus x53e notebook that was on balanced on two corners to press in the charging cable ( not the problem ). It was knocked over and now when starting up i get the message on a black screen Reboot and select proper...
General Discussion
reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select bo
Ok, I have googled this error and see this is common. Hopefully, I have missed something simple. I replaced my hard drive and installed the complete version of Windows 7 Home Premium. All worked great, till the next day when I turned the PC back on. I get the error message: reboot and select...
General Discussion
How do I fix the reboot and select proper boot device.
OwHi everybody i dont know is i should to post this issues here but i need help w/ booting my system build i connected my optical drive and my hdd and when power up everything look OK until goes to the monitor I see this black screen with that message I trying several things but not success how...
General Discussion
Reboot or select proper boot device
I have found plenty of threads with the same problem claiming to be solved but none have manage to fix my problem im afraid, plus i am not technical enough to follow a lot of the instructions so dare not try them. So here is my problem, i was on the internet and it seemed windows crashed everything...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App