Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD on startup.

17 Jan 2015   #1
tfin

Windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 
BSOD on startup.

Hi

Iv'e been having issues with random BSODs for a while, starting before Christmas. After some trouble shooting I thought I had fixed the problems because they seemed to stop for a month or so. Iv'e been getting little niggling problems like my cursor lagging when using the internet. It works fine in safe mode but crashes when in safe mode with networking.

I feel i've exhausted my knowledge so any help would be appreciated!


Cheers
Tom


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Jan 2015   #2
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2015   #3
tfin

Windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
My apologies, post edited.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jan 2015   #4
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Your HDD is running out of free space. There is approximately 13 GB free now.
If possible, free up some space. Hard Disk Space - Free Up and Recover

Also test the HDD using Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows. Take both the short test and the extended test.

Let us know the results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2015   #5
tfin

Windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Your HDD is running out of free space. There is approximately 13 GB free now.
If possible, free up some space. Hard Disk Space - Free Up and Recover

Also test the HDD using Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows. Take both the short test and the extended test.

Let us know the results.
Thanks for the reply!

That seems strange, my HDD is 1TB and is showing over 700GB free from my computer. I recently changed the HDD from a 2TB to the 1TB. Could this be relevant?

It passed the short test and is currently carrying out the extended test, will post full test results when its completed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2015   #6
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tfin View Post

That seems strange, my HDD is 1TB and is showing over 700GB free from my computer. I recently changed the HDD from a 2TB to the 1TB. Could this be relevant?
Well, that was a mistake from my part. I failed o read it properly. there are apparently 727 GB free space, so no need to be worried about it.

But, Stop 0xF4 is usually a disc related issue. So it would be better to perform the disc check as suggested.

Let us know the result. Further troubleshooting may be needed depending on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2015   #7
tfin

Windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tfin View Post

That seems strange, my HDD is 1TB and is showing over 700GB free from my computer. I recently changed the HDD from a 2TB to the 1TB. Could this be relevant?
Well, that was a mistake from my part. I failed o read it properly. there are apparently 727 GB free space, so no need to be worried about it.

But, Stop 0xF4 is usually a disc related issue. So it would be better to perform the disc check as suggested.

Let us know the result. Further troubleshooting may be needed depending on it.
no problem!

here are the results of the two disk checks;

est Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCC3FEFRJCX0
Firmware Number: 01.01A01
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 19:39:24, January 17, 2015

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCC3FEFRJCX0
Firmware Number: 01.01A01
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 21:44:09, January 17, 2015
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2015   #8
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Good news.

Now, let us change the storage controller driver and see how it goes?

We will get rid of of intel rapid storage now. First uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs and Features. Then Uninstall the driver from device manager.
  1. Right click on "my computer" icon and click "manage" on the context menu.
  2. It will open the "computer management" window.
  3. Select "Device Manager" in the left pane, It will list all the existing devices up.
  4. Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" by clicking on the triangle in front of it.
  5. Select one Intel device item under it, right click, uninstall.
  6. Continue the process for all Intel items under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
  7. Now restart the computer. At restart, windows will auto configure the appropriate native system driver.
If Stop 0xF4 BSODs continue to occur even after that, we will check for the further places.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2015   #9
tfin

Windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Good news.

Now, let us change the storage controller driver and see how it goes?

We will get rid of of intel rapid storage now. First uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs and Features. Then Uninstall the driver from device manager.
  1. Right click on "my computer" icon and click "manage" on the context menu.
  2. It will open the "computer management" window.
  3. Select "Device Manager" in the left pane, It will list all the existing devices up.
  4. Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" by clicking on the triangle in front of it.
  5. Select one Intel device item under it, right click, uninstall.
  6. Continue the process for all Intel items under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
  7. Now restart the computer. At restart, windows will auto configure the appropriate native system driver.
If Stop 0xF4 BSODs continue to occur even after that, we will check for the further places.
Ive tried to uninstall intel rapid storage from programmes and features, but the installer seems to just freeze. Its been its been on the "please wait while the product is being uninstalled" window for over 20 minutes with no activity in the status bar.

Does it just take a while or am i doing something wrong?

I'm in safe mode by the way.

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2015   #10
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

I did not face such a situation earlier.

You may follow from point 1 now, at least the storage controller driver will be remover and that will be enough.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD on startup.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD during windows startup; can't safe mode; startup repair can't fix
Consistent BSOD during Windows startup for both normal mode and safe mode. BSOD problem started shortly after buggy installations of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 x64, Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1, and AMD Catalyst Drivers 13.9; and turning off Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1. Startup Repair is...
BSOD Help and Support
Brief BSOD on Startup, Startup Recovery Hangs
I have Win 7 Home and in the last couple of days I have been trying to do a backup onto an external drive. The problem comes in when I attempt to start my laptop so that I can begin the backup process, the screen flickers a BSOD, says startup failed and do I want to run Startup Recovery. If I say...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD on startup, unknown error, startup repair running too long
As the title suggests, my Acer Aspire has been running startup repair for over 20 hours following a BSOD yesterday. I'm not sure if it's worth the wait so maybe you all can shed some light. Yesterday I was stressfully trying to search for something (using Chrome) and the website I was on froze;...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD on Startup - Startup Reapir not working
On Startup, after POST, I get this BSOD: STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The verification of a knownDLL failed. system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000012f (0x00360bf0 0x00000000). The system has shut down. Upon Reboot, I am advised to go to the startup repair....
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD at startup, cant repair startup
i had a bsod 3 days ago with no reason when its at Welcome screen and my startup items are not loaded at all(all drivers programs etc.). i tried to reboot and my pc gone wild. it cant even see welcome screen cuz of bsods. also i am having black screens when booting up. sometimes its just freezes...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD on startup , error 0x000000f4 . startup takes half an hour
so everything was fine when my laptop started to become very slow and i used to get the BSOD very often so i decided to recover the system to the initial state . i did that and everything was fine , then i updated the windows 7 service pack 1 and finished the installation and rebooted my computer ,...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App