Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD Frequently while gaming or watching videos

14 Apr 2015   #11
Sidaithe

Windows 7
 
 

Memory diagnostics didn't find anything wrong. So I'm doing a clean install. I have both Windows 7 and 8. Can you recommend one or the other? Officially my mb isn't compatible with win 8 but it seems like my computer was having less problems with 8 installed then with 7.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Apr 2015   #12
Sidaithe

Windows 7
 
 

Well I found what's wrong. I don't quite know how it happened but the partition of my ssd with windows on it got completely erased some how.....? How? Lol oh well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2015   #13
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

I've absolutely no idea how that happened, it's impossible to happen within Windows itself. Keep us informed on how the install goes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Apr 2015   #14
Sidaithe

Windows 7
 
 

Ok I'm back up and running. Installing my network card driver now. Next post should be from my computer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2015   #15
Sidaithe

Windows 7
 
 

Okay, I've now installed my network card driver and my graphics card driver. I'm currently downloading the latest driver (Released 2 days ago) for my video card and it will be installed shortly. The only odd thing now, is when I boot the computer, it gives me two options of windows 7 and asks me to select from them, if I select the top one, everything boots fine, to this clean version of windows which shows no signs of the other version even existing at all. And I haven't selected the other one yet, but I'm assuming it will just take me to that "Failed to boot" screen where it will tell me to insert my install disc and repair.

So, I have kind of a flood of questions. If you could answer any of them I would really appreciate it

Do you have any recommendations for a program that will find any drivers I need and tell me what they are?

Do you have a virus protection that you recommend? I was using Avast, but have used AVG in the past.

Is there anything I should install now as a clean boot that will prevent the BSOD problem?

What should I do to check if the BSOD problem is still happening? Just wait for it to happen again?

Do you have any other program recommendations that I should install?

Is there any way to recover my stuff from the last installation? It doesn't seem like it me, but I'm hoping you might know of a way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2015   #16
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sidaithe View Post
The only odd thing now, is when I boot the computer, it gives me two options of windows 7 and asks me to select from them, if I select the top one, everything boots fine, to this clean version of windows which shows no signs of the other version even existing at all. And I haven't selected the other one yet, but I'm assuming it will just take me to that "Failed to boot" screen where it will tell me to insert my install disc and repair.
Did you format the whole SSD? It sounds like your old OS was corrupt (not deleted) and you've managed to set up a dual boot.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sidaithe View Post
So, I have kind of a flood of questions. If you could answer any of them I would really appreciate it

Do you have any recommendations for a program that will find any drivers I need and tell me what they are?
I always source drivers from manufacturers myself. Take a look at Device Manager and see which items have next to them. Report back with the info.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sidaithe View Post
Do you have a virus protection that you recommend? I was using Avast, but have used AVG in the past.
If you have no aversion to paying for an AV suite then my personal recommendation would be F-Secure. I've used this for nearly two years now and have been highly impressed. All other AVs can and do cause BSODs on a random but regular basis, the only free one that doesn't is Microsoft Security Essentials.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sidaithe View Post
Is there anything I should install now as a clean boot that will prevent the BSOD problem?
I can't answer that, I would introduce drivers and programs to the system slowly and test the if a BSOD occurs make a note of the last installed driver/program and check for any updates or uninstall it and test again.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sidaithe View Post
What should I do to check if the BSOD problem is still happening? Just wait for it to happen again?
Pretty much. You could run Driver Verifier to test your drivers but if you're BSOD free I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sidaithe View Post
Do you have any other program recommendations that I should install?
What sort of programs? General maintenance? Anti-Malware? Let me know what you want and I'll see if I can help. If you're just after general recommendations I'll name a few I'd recommend.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sidaithe View Post
Is there any way to recover my stuff from the last installation? It doesn't seem like it me, but I'm hoping you might know of a way.
Hard to say. It sounds like that install is still there (were all of your files stored on the same driver as the OS?) and could possibly be saved. If you want help trying to recover it I can ask someone who is well versed in it.

In the meantime can you post a screenshot of Disk Management please.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2015   #17
Sidaithe

Windows 7
 
 

Okay, sorry for the long reply, I got sick and was playing a ton of catch up for work and school. Anyway I'm back now.

Quote:
Did you format the whole SSD? It sounds like your old OS was corrupt (not deleted) and you've managed to set up a dual boot.
I didn't format it manually. Will that cause future problems? Should I go ahead and actually format it?

Quote:
I always source drivers from manufacturers myself. Take a look at Device Manager and see which items have next to them. Report back with the info.
In my device manager as of now, there are only 2 things with that symbol next to it. There is "PowerPC Processor" and "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller"
Quote:
If you have no aversion to paying for an AV suite then my personal recommendation would be F-Secure. I've used this for nearly two years now and have been highly impressed. All other AVs can and do cause BSODs on a random but regular basis, the only free one that doesn't is Microsoft Security Essentials.
Ok great, thanks. I'll look into that!

Quote:
I can't answer that, I would introduce drivers and programs to the system slowly and test the if a BSOD occurs make a note of the last installed driver/program and check for any updates or uninstall it and test again.
Okay so I got another BSOD, and attached the form to this post. But the only thing that I did was install windows updates. Like, I installed some games and stuff before I let windows update and was playing them and watching videos and stuff just fine, no blue screen all night. Then after I installed windows updates it gave me a bsod again.

Quote:
What sort of programs? General maintenance? Anti-Malware? Let me know what you want and I'll see if I can help. If you're just after general recommendations I'll name a few I'd recommend.
Yeah just looking for general maintenance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.


Quote:
Hard to say. It sounds like that install is still there (were all of your files stored on the same driver as the OS?) and could possibly be saved. If you want help trying to recover it I can ask someone who is well versed in it.

In the meantime can you post a screenshot of Disk Management please.
It's not a huge deal, just some stuff I'd miss a little but not too important. Anything important I already had backed up. I did include the pic of my disk management though just in case it's something easy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2015   #18
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

OK, your System and Active flags have been placed onto Disk 1, this means Disk 0 won't boot without Disk 1 present. We need to fix that, I'll get back to you tonight with how to resolve it as I have to head out to work now. I'll give you more detailed info on your other questions too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2015   #19
gregrocker

 

Gavin asked me to look at your thread.

First, to answer many of your questions, read over Clean Reinstall Windows 7 so you understand what's work best in tens of thousands of installs we've helped with here. That tutorial has been used by over 1.3 million consumers without a single complaint. If yours differs much you can do it over, or at least it may answer your drivers question since those steps are so important they're printed in red, and the best tools and methods can help you finish setting it up perfectly.

As to your disk configuration, I see that C is the OS you're booted into now (Boot) so I'm assuming its the one you want to keep. But an old System Reserved partition from the other drive is now booting C, so to correct this move the Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD - Windows 7 Forums. Be sure that C becomes set as primary hard drive and/or first hard drive to boot in BIOS setup.

Once C is marked System Active in Disk Mgmt, if necessary assign a drive letter to System Reserved to Mark Partition as Inactive if it's still Active, then it should allow you to Delete it in Disk Mgmt so it can't cause future problems because a Startup Repair moves the System flag back there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2015   #20
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Thanks Greg, much appreciated as usual. Sidaithe, please follow Greg to get your drive issues sorted first and foremost, you're in very good hands with him. Once your install is good and your disk issues are sorted we'll go back to the BSODs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD Frequently while gaming or watching videos




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD and freezing when gaming or watching videos
So initially when I first inherited the computer, it had a weak video card(ATI HD3650), Core 2 QUAD HQ8200 and 4GB of ram running Vista. With this GPU it would blue screen every 3 days instead of every day. I put in a better GPU (HD6570) and it started happening every day. Reformatted and upgraded...
BSOD Help and Support
Many different BSOD's when gaming or watching videos
Hey I recently upgraded my computer's graphics card, motherboard, processor, RAM, optical drive and put in a SSD. At first everything was fine but lately I have been getting BSOD's numerous times a day, my computer locks up every 5 minutes for about 10-20 seconds at a time and if I even try to play...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD watching videos, gaming, normal use constantly
Around a week or two ago my computer started getting blue screens and restarting at random times. I tried system restoring before that time and it didn't work, so I just decided to deal with it because I didn't know of a site that dealt with blue screens. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Age of the...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD while gaming/sometimes watching videos
Hello, To start with let me just say im not exactly...good with computers so for all i know this could all be my own fault lol On my laptop i can run a game and log into my account and pick a character but as soon as it loads the character i get blue screened, it sometimes happens when im...
BSOD Help and Support
Netbook freezes frequently, mostly when watching videos.
Hi, I have a asus netbook with a windows 7 starter OS. It frequently freezes ( no response at all, Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing.) Not many BSODs but I have included the information for a BSOD post anyway. I usually force it to restart by holding down the power button. It happens mostly when I...
BSOD Help and Support
Several BSOD while gaming/watching videos
Hi, I am using Windows 7 64 Bit, and am getting several BSOD only while gaming/watching videos. I have caught the name of 2 BSOD's, which are BAD_POOL_CALLER, and PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA. I have done some research and some people found out that it was faulty RAM. I did the test MemTest86+ and...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App