Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD, Caused by hal.dll, error 0x00000124

09 May 2015   #1
InsaneJokerr

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
 
 
BSOD, Caused by hal.dll, error 0x00000124

Hi Everyone,

I've found this forum through Google and hope you are able to provide me with some assistance, I'm trying to repair my mothers laptop however struggling as I am doing this remotely from University. She has been complaining about a BSOD message displaying intermittently during everyday use, she only uses the laptop for e-mails and internet. - No gaming whatsoever.

I have extracted the minidump information as well as the details from the DM Log Collector, I believe the issue is caused by "hal.dll" can anyone provide me with assistance with this issue as I'm not familiar with fixing these sorts of issues.

I have filled in my system information within my profile for the corresponding laptop also if this is needed.

Many thanks in advance,

iJ.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 May 2015   #2
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

InsaneJokerr, welcome to the forums. I will see if I can help you. I need you to run the BSOD Posting Instructions again http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/96879-blue-screen-death-bsod-posting-instructions.html again and post them here. All of the files are not there. The ones that were there list

Code:
 
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.
BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8005e8a038, b6000000, 10015}
Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD
Followup: MachineOwner
---------
1: kd> !analyze -v
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error
source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the
WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception
Arg2: fffffa8005e8a038, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
Arg3: 00000000b6000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
Arg4: 0000000000010015, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
Debugging Details:
------------------

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x124_AuthenticAMD
CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME:  chrome.exe
A Stop Code of 0X124 is a generic Hardware error. It simply means some piece of hardware is failing or has failed. It provides little information as to what piece it is. Or it can also be a driver bad enough to cause the hardware to act in unexpected ways.

One thing I did notice was that almost every dump file I looked at listed Chrome as the process that was running. I would suggest you do a couple of things. Make sure She is running an updated version of Chrome and not a BETA Version. I would suggest installing the newest stable version.

Also, put monitoring software on the Laptop that will monitor both the CPU and GPU Temps. Also update all the drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

Please open an elevated command prompt ( click start, type cmd in the search box, right click on the cmd entry and select run as administrator) in the black box that opens, copy/paste sfc /scannow. If you decide to type it, notice the space between the sfc and the /. It is a system file checker which will scan your system files and attempt to correct any missing or corrupt files. What we want are the results to say windows found no integrity violations. If it says files were found but could not be repaired, close the box, reboot and run it again, after opening the administrative command prompt. You may have to reboot and run it three times for it to repair all system files. If it can't repair them after 3 reboots, let us know.

Lewt us know how those tests come out and if you notice any improvements after doing the above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2015   #3
InsaneJokerr

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
 
 

Hi essenbe,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I've gone through the BSOD posting instructions again and attached the files that the DM Log Collector has produced, if there is anything missing I can only say that it is not producing the desired files as I'm uploading them straight from the desktop onto this thread without opening the .zip.

Further to this, I have checked the drivers on the system and found a number of drivers listed as obsolete (PCI Bus, Toshiba X64 ACPI-Compliant Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device, Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller, Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad, PCI Standard ISA bridge, ATI I/O Communications Processor SMBus Controller, Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20), Conexant SmartAudio HD, Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC, USB Composite Device & ATI High Definition Audio Defice.) A further driver, (Generic IO & Memory Access) was listed as Outdated. - I've gone to the respective driver owners and updated all drivers to their current versions successfully however maybe you can shed light on whether any of these could have been causing the BSOD or not.

With regards to Google Chrome, I've checked the version currently running on the system and found it is currently at version "42.0.2311.135 m" and states that it is currently up to date, I believe this is a stable release rather then a BETA as it was downloaded directly from chrome's main distribution page.

Finally, I've ran CMD in elevated mode and ran the sfc / scannow command as prompted, Once verification came to 100% complete on the first run it stated that Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I hope this is all the information needed to solve the problem and thank you so much for your help so far!

-iJ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 May 2015   #4
InsaneJokerr

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by InsaneJokerr View Post
Hi essenbe,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I've gone through the BSOD posting instructions again and attached the files that the DM Log Collector has produced, if there is anything missing I can only say that it is not producing the desired files as I'm uploading them straight from the desktop onto this thread without opening the .zip.

Further to this, I have checked the drivers on the system and found a number of drivers listed as obsolete (PCI Bus, Toshiba X64 ACPI-Compliant Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device, Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller, Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad, PCI Standard ISA bridge, ATI I/O Communications Processor SMBus Controller, Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20), Conexant SmartAudio HD, Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC, USB Composite Device & ATI High Definition Audio Defice.) A further driver, (Generic IO & Memory Access) was listed as Outdated. - I've gone to the respective driver owners and updated all drivers to their current versions successfully however maybe you can shed light on whether any of these could have been causing the BSOD or not.

With regards to Google Chrome, I've checked the version currently running on the system and found it is currently at version "42.0.2311.135 m" and states that it is currently up to date, I believe this is a stable release rather then a BETA as it was downloaded directly from chrome's main distribution page.

Finally, I've ran CMD in elevated mode and ran the sfc / scannow command as prompted, Once verification came to 100% complete on the first run it stated that Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I hope this is all the information needed to solve the problem and thank you so much for your help so far!

-iJ
Just an update, After doing a restart after this process the computer is now saying "Your computer was unable to start. Start-up repair is checking your system for problems." - I'll update the thread with the outcome but just letting you know when you view the thread as our time difference is quite a few hours out.

I've asked my mum to start looking for the Windows 7 Install disk (if she got one with the laptop, as I'm not sure) so hopefully that will resolve it maybe.

- iJ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2015   #5
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

InsaneJokerr, please click start, type msinfo32 into the search box and open the msinfo file that appears. Once it is open, click file > Save as and make sure it says the file type as NFO file and save it to your desktop. Right click the file on your desktop, select send to > compressed zip folder and upload it with your next post.

Some of the drivers you listed as obsolete are not obsolete, they probably need updating but are necessary. Some of the drivers you listed were your Ethernet driver, wireless driver, Audio driver and the touchpad driver.

Just as a test download Firefox and uninstall Google Chrome. As you install Firefox it will ask if you want to import bookmarks from another browser. Select Yes and you will keep all of your Bookmarks. This is simply a test to see if Chrome is causing problems. We have had instances in the past where Chrome has caused 0X124 errors.


This is what I am concerned about, but don't take this a a diagnosis.

Code:
 
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error
source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the
WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception
Arg2: fffffa8005a1c038, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
Arg3: 00000000b6000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
Arg4: 0000000000010015, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Code:
 
FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner
MODULE_NAME: AuthenticAMD
IMAGE_NAME:  AuthenticAMD
DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  0
IMAGE_VERSION:  
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_TLB
BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_TLB
ANALYSIS_SOURCE:  KM
FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING:  km:x64_0x124_authenticamd_processor_tlb
That is saying a CPU error, processor 1 is having a fatal L1 data TLB error. I am not convinced of that right now, so would like to try a few other things. Please use some Programs to monitor the CPU and GPU temps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2015   #6
InsaneJokerr

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
 
 

Hi Essenbe,

The start-up repair took a considerable amount of time however it did seem to be successful and the machine managed to boot back into Windows.

I did not remove any of the ones that said obsolete, I just went to the drivers website and replaced them with the most up to date version of the driver.

I've just uninstalled Google Chrome and replaced it with Firefox, Also please find attached the information from msinfo32.


Thank-You again!


-iJ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2015   #7
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

What are you using that told you they were obsolete? Please, never use software to find drivers. Find them yourself. Just in this case, if you had deleted what they said was obsolete, you would have had big troubles, plus you never know what it's installing as a driver.

it's great that you have it working again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2015   #8
InsaneJokerr

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
What are you using that told you they were obsolete? Please, never use software to find drivers. Find them yourself. Just in this case, if you had deleted what they said was obsolete, you would have had big troubles, plus you never know what it's installing as a driver.

it's great that you have it working again.
Hi essenbe,

I followed a link that seems to tag onto the word "driver or drivers" on sevenforums.com, I assumed they sponsor the software? It was called "Tweakbit Driver Update"? - Is it unsafe?

It's showing like this on two separate laptops so I don't think it's the systems I'm using. - I've uploaded a screenshot for you!

-iJ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2015   #9
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by InsaneJokerr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
What are you using that told you they were obsolete? Please, never use software to find drivers. Find them yourself. Just in this case, if you had deleted what they said was obsolete, you would have had big troubles, plus you never know what it's installing as a driver.

it's great that you have it working again.
Hi essenbe,

I followed a link that seems to tag onto the word "driver or drivers" on sevenforums.com, I assumed they sponsor the software? It was called "Tweakbit Driver Update"? - Is it unsafe?

It's showing like this on two separate laptops so I don't think it's the systems I'm using. - I've uploaded a screenshot for you!

-iJ

Are you signed in to the Forums? That seems to be an advertisement. That was not a link. No, I wouldn't use that. Ads are only supposed to be shown to non members or a member if not signed in, which in effect makes him a guest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2015   #10
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

After the startup repair, how does the computer run? Is it any better? If you have another BSOD, please upload the DM Log again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD, Caused by hal.dll, error 0x00000124




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD random, error 0x00000124, caused by address ntoskrnl.exe+4adb3c
Hi, This problem started in Flight Simulator, but now its random. I have run memtest twice for four hours each, all is fine. I have a Western Digital HD, and ran their diagnostic tool for it from their site. I have reset the RAM after cleaning it also. I dust out the machine regularly. I...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD 0x00000124 caused by hal.dll & ntoskrnl.exe
I've cleaned my computer with an air compressor within the last week and I have no overclocking. CPU temps are on idle at around 30C and I've never seen GPU temps above 60C when I run World of Warcraft. But I still get BSOD 0x00000124 sometimes... Thanks for any help.
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD bugcheck code 0x00000124 Caused By Driver ntoskrnl.exe
My computer crashed every time I run experiment(NI equipment connects to the computer). My experiment needs to run two or three days, but every twelve hours it got crash(shut down automatically). The max work hour I got is 15 hours. When I reboot the computer, I got the following information: ...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD caused by the hal.dll driver, bug check code 0x00000124
I have been getting the BSOD since November (about 12 times) but it has only happened playing two games: Chivalry Deadliest Warrior and Battlefield 4. I never paid much attention to the crashes while playing Chivalry, because the game has many problems and it occurred infrequently. I have just...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD - 0x00000124 - caused by ntoskrnl.exe dump attached
Hi guys, Having BSOD issues. I thought initially it was scaned from hardware issue maybe loose connectors but my build is less than 30 days old and i've reseated all parts about 4 days ago. It didnt BSOD for 4 days but today it BSOD while browsing the internet, the next BSOD was when trying to...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSODs, error 0x00000124, caused by ntoskrnl.exe
Randomly happens, sometimes in a game, sometimes when browsing, sometimes when RDP'ed in, sometimes when unattended. No repro steps yet, just be patient and it will happen. Sometimes when it blue screens, it takes the whole network down spamming the switches and router with packets.
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App