Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD from pretty much anything

04 Jun 2015   #21
Laith

Windows 10 Professional x64
 
 

Your looking for a BSOD. If it occurs then the ..... is failing.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Jun 2015   #22
Machinepriest

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

I did get a BSOD while running Prime95 for over an hour, but that might just have been a coincidence since I get BSOD several times a day.
Reading the log, I can't see any errors, just passed tests.

I also called the company I purchased the system from (Inet.se) for advice, but they were sadly pretty clueless.
They thought that it was either my CPU or the power supply, but I think they were just guessing as I have already replaced the memory and the SSD.
They advised me to send the system to them which isn't really an option at the moment.

This is starting to feel quite hopeless.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2015   #23
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

OK, from the two screenshots you posted you have a 0xD1 (usually down to a device driver) and a 0x109 which denotes CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION and can often be attributed to failing RAM. Either way I think we really need those dump files.

I understand you may have performed one or more of the instructions below, but please follow them again on the offchance something works.

Follow these steps:

1. Configure Windows to create minidumps:
Dump Files - Configure Windows to Create on BSOD

2. Set the paging file on C: to be the same size as the physically installed RAM:
Virtual Memory Paging File - Change

3. Set the Windows Error Reporting service to MANUAL:
Services - Start or Disable



4. Test to see that dump files are created:
- Open Windows Task Manager
- Navigate to the Processes tab
- Right-click on explorer.exe, and click Create Dump File



- Note the location of the saved file



- Check that location and confirm that explorer.dmp exists



And let's rule out your RAM, it's possible this could be the cause of all of your issues so best find out sooner rather than later.

Download and run MemTest86+ to test your RAM. RAM - Test with Memtest86+

Note   Note


Run MemTest86+ for at least 8 passes. Ideally set it off before you go to bed and leave it overnight, we're looking for zero errors here. A single error will show something's going bad with your RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jun 2015   #24
Machinepriest

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Thank you for chiming in Boozad.
My system didn't crash at all yesterday so I thought and hoped that my troubles were over.
They weren't... I had two crashes this morning. One didn't give me a BSOD, instead the system rebooted, but I couldn't get back into windows because of this message: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I'm up and running now though and I've gone through all the steps you advised me.

Step 1: I've done this before, but I went through the settings again to make sure I hadn't missed anything.
Here's a screenshot, all in Swedish (Sorry about that)



Step 2:
I have 8 gigs of ram and according to the guide you posted that amounts to 8192 of each GB is 1024, so I set my minimum to 8192 and my maximum to 12274 as that's what Windows recommended.
Screenshot:



Step 3: It was already set to manual.

Step 4: The dump files were created without a problem. Not sure if that means that mini dumps are though as my BSOD always tend to freeze at the Initializing crash dump phase.


RAM: Like I mentioned earlier, I scanned my old RAM with Memtest86 several times which gave me many errors, which i interpreted as the cause of all the crashes, but the BSOD kept coming after replacing the RAM, so I doubt that the new sticks could be broken as well.
I did run a test the other night though which didn't show any errors.
It only ran for two passes though, which is strange as the previous tests with my old ram gave me ten passes from the same amount of time.

I'm going to give it another try tonight though.


Here are my specs:

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHz
CPU COOLER: Corsair Cooling Hydro H50CPU-kylare
Motherboard: MK Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4ATX, S1156
RAM: 2x 4 GB CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP
GFX: Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC HDMI DP 2xDVI 3GB
SSD 1: Samsung SSD EVO 850-Series 250GB
SSD 2: 80GB Intel X25-M G22,5-tum, 34nm
HD: 1TB Samsung SP SATA-27200RPM Spinpoint F3
Power source: Corsair HX 650W80+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2015   #25
Laith

Windows 10 Professional x64
 
 

Hmm,
Quote:
BSOD always tend to freeze at the Initializing crash dump phase.
Hmmm,
Quote:
I scanned my old RAM with Memtest86 several times which gave me many errors, which i interpreted as the cause of all the crashes, but the BSOD kept coming after replacing the RAM, so I doubt that the new sticks could be broken as well.
I think you need a new mobo. My last advice is to replace the mobo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2015   #26
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Machinepriest View Post
RAM: Like I mentioned earlier, I scanned my old RAM with Memtest86 several times which gave me many errors, which i interpreted as the cause of all the crashes, but the BSOD kept coming after replacing the RAM, so I doubt that the new sticks could be broken as well.
I did run a test the other night though which didn't show any errors.
It only ran for two passes though, which is strange as the previous tests with my old ram gave me ten passes from the same amount of time.
MemTest86 or MemTest86+? There's a big difference. Please run the test I posted for a minimum of eight passes, anything less is inconclusive. It's not just the RAM being tested but the DIMM slots too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #27
Machinepriest

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Laith: What makes you think that?
I'm fairly certain myself that it's faulty hardware that's causing me this grief and since I've replaced the SSD and the RAM I'm guessing it can only be the motherboard, the CPU or the power source.
I hate that it's so hard to diagnose it though. I mean, maybe it's a faulty wire or a pin. I have a feeling all my hardware will be replaced in the end :/

Boozad: Good thing you pointed it out. I had previously been running Memtest86. I will try the + version tonight.
What are DIMM slots? Could they be causing this type of problems if they are faulty?


I've been experiencing different issues since my last post. Even while running Windows in safe mode. A LOT of freezing and crashes, but only a couple of BSOD strangely enough. Now my system freezes and I get error messages from the running programs, which I didn't before.
This morning I found that the computer had restarted, and when I tried to open programs I kept getting messages telling me that windows couldn't find the programs or the explorer. This happened a couple of times today. Also the start menu was totally empty.
Translation: "The object couldn't be opened - It may have been moved, been renamed or been removed. Would you like to delete the object? YES/NO"


Here's a screenshot from a later freeze which gave me a iTunes error message:

Translation: "The iTunes-libraryfile can't be saved. The needed folder could not be found."

And here's another screen from a crash while I was working in Photoshop:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #28
Laith

Windows 10 Professional x64
 
 

The DIMM slots are the slots the RAM is in. What makes me think of the motherboard is that we've pretty much tested everything with success. Run MemTest86+, it is very important to run it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #29
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Machinepriest View Post
Laith: What makes you think that?
I'm fairly certain myself that it's faulty hardware that's causing me this grief and since I've replaced the SSD and the RAM I'm guessing it can only be the motherboard, the CPU or the power source.
I hate that it's so hard to diagnose it though. I mean, maybe it's a faulty wire or a pin. I have a feeling all my hardware will be replaced in the end :/

Boozad: Good thing you pointed it out. I had previously been running Memtest86. I will try the + version tonight.
What are DIMM slots? Could they be causing this type of problems if they are faulty?


I've been experiencing different issues since my last post. Even while running Windows in safe mode. A LOT of freezing and crashes, but only a couple of BSOD strangely enough. Now my system freezes and I get error messages from the running programs, which I didn't before.
This morning I found that the computer had restarted, and when I tried to open programs I kept getting messages telling me that windows couldn't find the programs or the explorer. This happened a couple of times today. Also the start menu was totally empty.
Translation: "The object couldn't be opened - It may have been moved, been renamed or been removed. Would you like to delete the object? YES/NO"


Here's a screenshot from a later freeze which gave me a iTunes error message:

Translation: "The iTunes-libraryfile can't be saved. The needed folder could not be found."

And here's another screen from a crash while I was working in Photoshop:
I/O errors are pointing towards your SSD/HDD, or possibly the cabling or the SATA ports on the motherboard. Let us know the results of MemTest86+ then we'll look at the drives.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #30
Machinepriest

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

I can't seem to start Memtest86+
I had no problems starting Memtest86, but this version is giving me trouble.
"As I use a usb stick for this I chose the link that says: Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*
When I press F12 and try to boot from the usb stick it just keeps repeating something like "Can't load operating system" over and over again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD from pretty much anything




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD doing pretty much anything or nothing at all.
Hello all, first time builder here. been getting random Crashes during anything from casual gaming, web browsing and even just idle.. About 2 a day, i also went a day without. i thought i had licked it , nope :mad: .. all the driver's (to my knowledge) and mb Bios are/is up to date, I've attached...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD pretty random
Figured id just attach the .zip that the program makes that gives all the information needed
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD pretty sure due to driver
I have run a driver verifier on Win 7 and the startup repair failed to repair it but has found bad driver/s. The dump file is attached. Can anyone read this for me to tell me which driver is bad? Thanks
BSOD Help and Support
0x0a BSOD doing pretty much anything.
Over there years I have been a long time reader / lurker here. Never really made an account, more just ended up on here via Google searches for solutions. That said, a big thank you to everyone here who takes time out of their busy lives to help random strangers on the interwebs. On to the...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD at pretty much all times.
I have had a blue screen problem for a very long time, and I decided I'm done with it and now I'm posting here. It happens pretty much no matter what I am doing, but more so when I am in games. I have reinstalled the video drivers completely several times and I have also tried updating the...
BSOD Help and Support
pretty new machine BSOD
Hey all, First post here -- getting a BSOD on a newly imaged Win 7 64-bit box. .dmp file is HUGE (>500MB)...I tried to analyze it, but still a newbie and confused. kd log posted below: === C:\dbg>kd -y SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft com/downloads/symbols -z C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App