Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD: STOP: 0x0000007B on win7 after removing virus

16 Jun 2015   #11
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gosssamer View Post
Is there a way to recover the license number from an unbootable Windows system so I can perform a reinstall?
Well, I dont know, but I will see if anyone knows.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jun 2015   #12
gosssamer

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gosssamer View Post
Is there a way to recover the license number from an unbootable Windows system so I can perform a reinstall?
Well, I dont know, but I will see if anyone knows.
I'm also now considering following these instructions to perform a Dell Recovery since the Recovery DVDs I made with the Dell software don't boot:

Dell 1545 Will Not Boot Into Recovery Partition - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

I'm so annoyed that the recovery media and Windows Rescue disc that I created don't boot. I even tried it on another computer and it also doesn't boot there. It just reports winload.exe is missing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2015   #13
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

gregrocker suggests these two methods to to attempt a recovery of the product key:
Hopefully you can go for a clean install now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jun 2015   #14
BorisTheAnimal

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Have you tried using the last known good configuration or are you unable to get to the F8 menu?

If not, do these steps:
  1. Restart the PC
  2. Press F8 during boot, if you see the Windows logo you'll need to reboot again.
  3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen use the arrow-keys and choose Last Known Good Configuration.
  4. It should now boot normally.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2015   #15
gosssamer

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
gregrocker suggests these two methods to to attempt a recovery of the product key:
Hopefully you can go for a clean install now.
Thanks very much. That's exactly what I remember. Suppose I also could have googled it, so I appreciate it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2015   #16
gosssamer

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Okay, so I've figured out how to do a full Recovery using the images on the recovery partition instead of the DVD method.

It has the same boot problem that it did previously.

Could this now be an actual bootsector virus? Or perhaps it is a defective hard disk? Or the partition table/MBR is somehow screwed up?

I've searched for a util to check a Toshiba hard disk, but haven't found one. I believe it's the same as the HGST/Hitachi utility?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2015   #17
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gosssamer View Post
Okay, so I've figured out how to do a full Recovery using the images on the recovery partition instead of the DVD method.

It has the same boot problem that it did previously.

Could this now be an actual bootsector virus? Or perhaps it is a defective hard disk? Or the partition table/MBR is somehow screwed up?

I've searched for a util to check a Toshiba hard disk, but haven't found one. I believe it's the same as the HGST/Hitachi utility?
Image recovery will not help you anyhow in this issue.

We cannot have a crash dump in case of stop 0x7B, so we cannot say what is the actual reason behind it. But my experience says that if it is an infected computer having stop 0x7B, the most feasible solution is a wipe up and start afresh.

I have taken this line because you wanted it in this line. Otherwise the starting place of a stop 0x7B troubleshooting is Seatools for DOS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2015   #18
gosssamer

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gosssamer View Post
Okay, so I've figured out how to do a full Recovery using the images on the recovery partition instead of the DVD method.

It has the same boot problem that it did previously.

Could this now be an actual bootsector virus? Or perhaps it is a defective hard disk? Or the partition table/MBR is somehow screwed up?

I've searched for a util to check a Toshiba hard disk, but haven't found one. I believe it's the same as the HGST/Hitachi utility?
Image recovery will not help you anyhow in this issue.

We cannot have a crash dump in case of stop 0x7B, so we cannot say what is the actual reason behind it. But my experience says that if it is an infected computer having stop 0x7B, the most feasible solution is a wipe up and start afresh.

I have taken this line because you wanted it in this line. Otherwise the starting place of a stop 0x7B troubleshooting is Seatools for DOS.
So "wipe and start afresh" you mean reinstall from the original media? You seem to know it would work compared with just doing a Recovery. What is the problem that a fresh install would fix and Recovery would not?

I've tested the hard disk and it is fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2015   #19
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gosssamer View Post

So "wipe and start afresh" you mean reinstall from the original media? You seem to know it would work compared with just doing a Recovery. What is the problem that a fresh install would fix and Recovery would not?

I've tested the hard disk and it is fine.
For any problem of things in C drive, recovery is sort of ok (though still not suggested, as it contains factory bloatware and old drivers); but for any problem of the system reserved partition that is beyond repair after trying all known ways to replace teh bootloader there, a clean reinstall is the way.

But at the end, it is your computer, you will decide what you will do. And my action will be conditional of yours. I hope you understand what I am saying.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2015   #20
gosssamer

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gosssamer View Post

So "wipe and start afresh" you mean reinstall from the original media? You seem to know it would work compared with just doing a Recovery. What is the problem that a fresh install would fix and Recovery would not?

I've tested the hard disk and it is fine.
For any problem of things in C drive, recovery is sort of ok (though still not suggested, as it contains factory bloatware and old drivers); but for any problem of the system reserved partition that is beyond repair after trying all known ways to replace teh bootloader there, a clean reinstall is the way.

But at the end, it is your computer, you will decide what you will do. And my action will be conditional of yours. I hope you understand what I am saying.
I figured it out. After performing a Recovery and the system not working, and after thoroughly checking the hard disk for virus and consistency (surface check, etc), I figured I would try and determine the OEM license number from the system to use during a clean install. I even used bootrec from the command-line during a repair session, it still didn't work. It would just blue-screen with 0x7B.

I downloaded this program:

[crap software link removed by admin]

It creates a bootable image (DVD, CDROM, USB key) that can be used to do all sorts of cool things, including recovering license key information. It also has a boot recovery app built into it. Clicking the icons to rebuild the BCD, boot sector, and MBR fixed it, and now it boots successfully.

Using this from the working system before I performed the Recovery probably would have worked as well.

I'd encourage you guys to direct your users to this product page as part of your "Troubleshooting windows booting" document.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD: STOP: 0x0000007B on win7 after removing virus




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
STOP: 0x0000007B on Win XP Install
I recently got a new internal hard-drive (previous one crashed). I bought a new Samsung Spinpoint N1C HS122JF 1.8" SATA Hard Drive -- very simple to install. I figured out how to get install for my DELL Latitude XT2 Notebook Tablet 12.1" Touch Screen / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.60GHz / 2GB Memory / 120GB...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD on Windows 7 Startup Animation, error STOP: 0x0000007B
Hey everyone, I have a bit of a complicated problem today, so bear with me :confused:. So several days ago my friend bestowed upon me some old desktop rig that had been collecting dust in his room for a while. It seems to have the internals of a Dell Inspiron 531, except with 4GB of RAM and a...
BSOD Help and Support
stop 0x0000007b 0xfffff880009a97e8 0xffffffffc0000034
I am greeted by a BSOD with the stop code stop 0x0000007b 0xfffff880009a97e8 0xffffffffc0000034 every time I attempt to boot windows since I swapped my dying hdd out with a new ssd cloned from aforementioned dying drive. I have read several threads concerning this same BSOD and all see to be...
BSOD Help and Support
Stop error code 0x0000007B
BSOD occurred after I changed system startup to normal. The system startup was on diagnostic before it had Been changed to normal. I need help changing system startup back to diagnostic without doing it in safe mode or having windows load in any way. I am looking for a command prompt code to change...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD error ***STOP: 0x0000007B after trying toremove malaware
i recentely tried removing some malaware from a laptop that kept rederecting my webpages. I used Hitman Pro and after scanning with it it asked me to reboot for the changes to take affect. One it rebooted igot the BSOD message. i Cant boot in safe mode so im lost on what option i have left. The...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD STOP: 0x0000007B
Hey Randomly I Started to get the error code STOP: 0x0000007B and don't know how to fix it, i shrunk a partition to create space for linux and i can't reboot Windows and don't want to reinstall it, i have a Recovery CD but no operating systems are being displayed. I have a HP G62 laptop Can...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:55.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App