OK this is the strangest tech problem I have ever run across in a long time.
1. I used a DVD sent to me with Windows 7, it allowed all flavors to be installed and was from technet or so that label said.
2. shortly afterwords I was crashing in windows
3. I attempted to use my XP, Vista and any other OS to boot the computer and format the drive but while any OS would load the system would turn off.
4. I finally got my Windows 7 Ultimate RTM DVD (burned with this machine) to boot and load. Installed my software and games, updated drivers
from HP support page for windows 7.
5. System ran fine until I watched a video with jetaudio, system turned off again. woke up and watched a video in media player screen flickered and system locked up. couldn't reboot for several tries as it would just turn off.
6. check with HP and all troubleshooting said update bios
7. I thought bios was updated to latest, found that it was very old BIOS and not even the one shipped with this laptop, so I updated to latest on support page for windows 7 64bit (no clue how the BIOS reverted back as I updated it within the first week of owning this laptop)
8. I ran HDD tests, even swapped HDD's - ran memory test in BIOS everything checked out OK.
9. trying to access any logs - please suggest places to find error logs, first place I have looked is event viewer will attempt to find more logs after posting this.
I know its not a heat issue as just by feel it isn't get hot compared to when I was gaming and core temp shows it well below max.
I am pretty sure its not a windows issue as this laptop turned off trying to load from and XP, vista and windows 7 DVD and it also isn't a HDD issue as I tried 2 HDDs and got the same results.
Currently the system is up and running and I can't reproduce the issue. I am looking for any logs that might suggest something or any FREE hardware diagnostic software people might suggest.
I can't afford to send this off to HP even though I don't think they will take it as I can't reproduce the issue it seems to be random.
I think I covered everything and the system specs are listed. I will update with anything I find which so far is nothing since the laptop turns off which doesn't give it a chance to make a log. Oh and this happens plugged in or on battery.
baught this back in July. well that covers everything I hope.