Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: First BSOD (0x000007F), then boot files damaged, then partition reset!

25 Mar 2016   #1
Morpheus2396

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (German Version), UEFI-Installation
 
 
First BSOD (0x000007F), then boot files damaged, then partition reset!

Hello guys,

I'm new to 7F and I am glad of having joined to community of W7 users

I have a very serious problem since a few days. Let's sum it up:


Before the problem occured, I employed a dual-boot setup (W7 & W10):

- Win7 x64 installed on a SSD (UEFI-Installation, GPT-Partition) (Win7-Installation/Partition is labeled "C:\")
- Win7, Programs and System Files stored on the SSD
- Personal Data, User Files and Games (of W7) stored on the HDD (GPT-Partition labeled "D:\")
- Win10 Pro x64 (15/11) also installed on the HDD (UEFI-Installation, GPT-Partition labeled "C:\" internally)


Background:

- a few days ago, a BSOD (0x0000007F) occurred on Win7 after login - probably a defrag tool called WarpDisk caused it, because it defragmented C:\pagefile.sys despite C:\ being on a SSD!

- after that, the same BSOD occured in Win7 after every login (after successfully booting)

- before the BSOD popped up, I noticed that BOTH Steam & Origin requested me to log in - despite both clients were configured to "stay logged in"!

- Win10 was NOT affected by this problem - everything worked flawless!


My first attempt to fix the problem:

- starting WinRE

- running CHKDSK, SFC /scannow, "System Startup Repair", "Last known working configuration" and "BootRec" - all failed! (CHKDSK % SFC both reported "no problems")

- Uninstalling WarpDisk (manually from W10) and then repeating the same steps was useless, too! The same BSOD always occurred after every login!

- at that point, it dawned on me that maybe not Windows 7 itself, but the EFI-Partition was damaged!


So, my second attempt was:

- deleting the EFI-Partitions (ESP- and MSR- partitions) on the SSD
- recreating them (fresh new ones)
- manually rebuilding the BCD store with BCDEdit in order to repair the Win7 bootloader.
- the first few lines of commands were successfully applied by the system but on a certain point, I got stuck - and it was always the same point, where I hit the dead end:

bcdedit /store BCD /set {default} default {guid}

- whenever I tried to apply this command, an error message occurred:

The requested system device cannot be found.

- I spent the following couple of hours with disstressing attempts to whatever rebuild the BCD store by the "trial-error" scheme, with several attempts.

- however, all attempts failed. I couldn't rebuild the BCD store!


By then, the problem got even more serious:

Now, I couldn't boot ANYMORE because the boot manager got messed up after my unsuccessful attempts with BCDEdit - I couldn't even boot W10 anymore, which worked flawlessly until then.

Fortunately, I could repair the W10 bootloader by creating a new, fresh one:

(I used this walkthrough for this goal - because it's dedicated to UEFI-/GPT-Installations of Windows)

- recreating EFI-Partitions (ESP and MSR) on the HDD
- copying W10 boot files to the ESP-Partition
- repairing EFI boot record
- rebuilding BCD store

(I just don't understand, why the same attempt did't work with W7 - my guess is, the EFI boot files in the Windows folder (C:\Windows\Boot\EFI) themselves are damaged, so copying them to a fresh ESP-Partition will not repair the W7 bootloader)


In the meanwhile, I made a fatal mistake:

- when I once more tried to recreate the ESP- and MSR-Partitions for W7 on the SSD, I accidently selected the wrong partition and hit "ENTER"
- the partition I accidently selected was my W7 partition!
- immediately an error message occurred: (I don't remember how exactly it was, something like this: )

"Could not format partition. The selected partition is too large for the destination filesystem"

- for the first seconds, I was surprised about this message - because I *always* succeeded with this step!
- but then, I realized I accidently selected my W7-Partition (filling up the entire SSD, ~ 120GB in size) and unawaringly tried to apply a FAT32 filesystem on it...
- I entered "list disk" in diskpart and now the filesystem of my W7-Partition wasn't NTFS anymore, but RAW!
- nevertheless, my W7 partition wasn't reformatted (because it was still full 107 out of ~ 120GB, with 12GB of free space) and no data was erased!
- but it didn't have a filesystem either - the partition information (NTFS filesystem and other partition properties) was erased by my accidental mistake, despite the reformat process was aborted immediately...


Now, my first priority is to restore the filesystem of my W7-Partition - so, I can access W7 again. But I don't know how to recover lost partition properties. I say again, the partition *itself* seems to be unchanged - but apparently partition metadata (filesystem and other properties) is reset/lost!

Please help me with this - the initial boot problem is actually not my primary priority...

And keep in mind: This is an UEFI-Installation - so, many commands (e.g. BootRec) and tutorials/walkthroughs might not apply to this problem...

Thx,

M2396


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Mar 2016   #2
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Hello and welcome Morpheus first up what I/we would like to know is you say you selected the wrong partition being the 7 one now I am myself a bit confused if you mean it is the C: drive? because normally one cannot muck around with it much.

Now secondly can you do these for us too
Dump Files - Configure Windows to Create on BSOD
&
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

Also it sounds like you have been using some softwares on that machine that may be wrecking the install - the defrag one you mentioned for example and if you are running an SSD then you should not be using defrag on it anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2016   #3
Morpheus2396

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (German Version), UEFI-Installation
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Hello and welcome Morpheus first up what I/we would like to know is you say you selected the wrong partition being the 7 one now I am myself a bit confused if you mean it is the C: drive? because normally one cannot muck around with it much.
I tried to re-create the EFI system partitions (ESP and MSR partitions - both are required for an UEFI-Installation to work properly) another time using diskpart. After creation, the ESP partition has to be formatted to FAT32 filesystem.

So I entered "select partition [#]" in order to select the partition to be formatted and then entered " format quick fs=fat32 label="System" " (all commands without the quotes) - but this time, I selected the wrong partition: I thought "Partition 1" is the ESP partition - actually, it wasn't the ESP but my W7 partition (my W7 installation, Drive C:\) and I entered the above mentioned command (format quick fs) and hit "Enter" without checking the correct number of the desired partition. Immediately, an error message was displayed:

"Could not format partition. The selected partition is too large for the destination filesystem"

(something like this - I don't remember exact error description anymore)

I accidently tried to apply a FAT32 filesystem formatting to my W7 partition (which is NTFS, of course) - and because my W7 partition is larger than 4GB, the formatting process was immediately aborted. From that perspective, I got lucky because the content of the partition wasn't changed/erased - however, the partition information (partition properties, filesystem, etc.) was lost/got resetted: when I entered "list volume", I could see "Partition 1" (=my W7 installation) wasn't NTFS anymore, but RAW !

My W7 installation was already damaged (BSOD, damaged boot files, and so on...), but now, the partition information (filesystem - maybe also other properties...) got lost, too!

Therefore, I don't care about the BSOD/boot problems ATM - I need to recover the partition properties first in order to access (and ultimately, repair) my W7 installation...

I already made some tests & scans with TestDisk and captured a couple of screenshots - shall I post them here?

M2396
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Mar 2016   #4
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote:
I already made some tests & scans with TestDisk and captured a couple of screenshots - shall I post them here?
Yes please mate and those dump files would be real handy as we can look at what they contain.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2016   #5
Morpheus2396

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (German Version), UEFI-Installation
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Yes please mate and those dump files would be real handy as we can look at what they contain.
Well, here are the screenshots I made while running TestDisk:

















Apparently, TestDisk successfully detected the NTFS filesystem - but it looks like additional steps are required! Unfortunately, I'm not experienced with TestDisk...

About those dump files: I have almost a dozen of them - but I hesitate to publish them because of privacy concerns. Do these dump files contain any private data *or* sensitive hardware information? (of course, they will contain detailed HW information because they have to - but it's always good to ask before doing something)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2016   #6
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

.dmp files contain no sensitive data. Run the tool and upload the. Zip file it creates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2016   #7
Morpheus2396

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (German Version), UEFI-Installation
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Run the tool and upload the. Zip file it creates.
That's not possible - the tool creates dump files for the actual running system (right now, Windows 10 Pro) only. Drive C:\ (Windows 7) isn't accessible because of the filesystem reset...

However, like I said, I backed up half a dozen .dmp-Files which were created by W7 after each BSOD - shall I upload these files in raw form or shall I convert them first?

M2396
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2016   #8
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Upload what you can mate - so in effect you do not have Windows 7 on this machine right now?? - it is wholly Windows 10 or am I missing something??

If the 7 is on another drive can you just flip it back in and do what we asked for??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2016   #9
Morpheus2396

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (German Version), UEFI-Installation
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Upload what you can mate - so in effect you do not have Windows 7 on this machine right now?? - it is wholly Windows 10 or am I missing something??
Exactly - W10 ist the only (properly working) OS on my PC right now...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
If the 7 is on another drive can you just flip it back in and do what we asked for??
I attached all existing dump files into a .zip package...

About your question:

Win7 ist installed on the SSD - the entire SSD is used by Win7; only User Files and Games are installed on a partition on my HDD. W10 is installed on another partition of the same HDD. Essentially, I'm running W7 from the SSD and W10 from the HDD.

W7 is still installed - but I cannot access it, because the partition properties got reset by my accidental mistake. I'll have to retain the partition properties and then fix the other problems (Cause of BSOD, damaged boot files, etc.)...

M2396


Attached Files
File Type: zip dump27032016.zip (324.6 KB, 2 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2016   #10
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Ok unfortunately I have to go offline for a while but I would suggest disconnecting the 10 drive and try booting from the SSD - I know it probably will not work but worth a try.

Thanks for the dump files they will probably shed some light on the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 First BSOD (0x000007F), then boot files damaged, then partition reset!




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Move boot files from EFI partition to system partition?
Hello everyone, I usually install my OS myself but when I bought this computer I asked the store to install the Windows 7 Professional x64 disc I purchased with it. Today I decided to do a long long overdue backup to the system partition. My backup software of choice is DriveImage XML, been using...
General Discussion
MBR damaged, partition unknown
Hi all, It happened all at once, I restarted my asus K52E with windows 7 x64 and a black page with a blinking underscore was shown, indicating a damaged mbr. The recovery partition is not accessible. I tried all the Win7 mbr recovery (with the command prompt of the win7 installation disk)...
Installation & Setup
Reset my themeui.dll files - now cannot boot or repair
Windows will not self repair despite all efforts... I can get a command prompt :) Is there a way to copy my themeui file from my Win7 CD and paste into SYS32 and WOW64 folders? I think this may repair the boot issues. FYI... I pulled themeui out of both above folders trying to reset a...
General Discussion
BSOD:0x000007f(0x00000008 and etc)
Hi pros, 3months ago i self build a computer for the 1st time. All seems well in the 1st week but after that i keep getting random blue screen with the 0x000007f(0x00000008 0x0000000080050031, 0xFFFFF8003050EB8). Minidump says "unexpected kernel mode trap(7f)" i have no clue what is it saying Any...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD 0x000007F, 0x0000000000000008
EDIT2: Nope, uninstalling antivirus didn't help. The crash occured even without any antivirus software or AVG free antivirus. Hi all, I have a weird problem that suddenly surfaced itself a couple of days ago. It happens when I try to initiate a smb file transfer between my macbook and my...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App