Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD caused by windows update

27 Mar 2016   #1
itslikecoffee

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
BSOD caused by windows update

Hi everyone, I recently installed Windows 7 Home Premium.

There seems to be a problem with the windows update feature which is causing constant blue screens. It will attempt to download windows updates and stay at "0% at 0kb". I'll leave this for an hour and it will stay the same. I go to reboot the computer and it decides to install updates that it says it hasn't downloaded. I have been doing this for the past week to try and get all the updates for windows.

I have attempted two fresh installations of windows but I'm not sure if the primary partition formatted properly the second time before installing.

Every 20 minutes my computer will blue screen whenever I try to watch a video or just generally browsing on google chrome.

I am 95% sure my computer is blue screening because all the windows updates haven't downloaded, I noticed this happened last year when I didn't download all the updates after installing windows. After they were installed all the problems disappeared.

Most of the blue screens have the error code 0X000000E and NON_PAGED_AREA

I am worried by not being able to see what updates are downloading that my computer has skipped some important updates as it downloaded 248 updates and then failed and after that only installed 100.

Is there anyway to fix this? Or at least manually download all the windows 7 updates to make sure I have them all?

Thank you.

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.00 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
Graphics Card: GeForce 760


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Mar 2016   #2
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Hello and welcome itslikecoffee mate could you follow these if possible
Dump Files - Configure Windows to Create on BSOD
&
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

I do have a gut feeling about your RAM too but it can wait.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2016   #3
itslikecoffee

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Hey ICIT2LOL I've uploaded the file you requested.

Within the time of making this post I just had a bunch of blue screens, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and memory management. I'm really hoping my RAM isn't faulty but we'll see!


Attached Files
File Type: zip SAM-PC-28_03_2016__55547_48.zip (1.18 MB, 6 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Mar 2016   #4
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Sam mate in the msinfo32 you have some problem devices ie it appears the Ethernet and universal serial USB drivers are not installed.

Code:
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B

PROCESS_NAME:  GFExperience.e

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

ANALYSIS_VERSION: 6.3.9600.17336 (debuggers(dbg).150226-1500) amd64fre

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from 0000000000000000 to fffff960000476a8

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff880`096526f0 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : win32k!xxxInternalDoPaint+0x40


FOLLOWUP_IP: 
win32k!xxxInternalDoPaint+40
fffff960`000476a8 ff4108          inc     dword ptr [rcx+8]

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  0

SYMBOL_NAME:  win32k!xxxInternalDoPaint+40

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: win32k

IMAGE_NAME:  win32k.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  56b38fde

IMAGE_VERSION:  6.1.7601.19145

STACK_COMMAND:  .cxr 0xfffff88009651d10 ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_win32k!xxxInternalDoPaint+40
In this it refers to a Windows update and frankly tracking those dump files down is a daunting task.

So I suggest you update those drivers and in fact it might be an idea to update the chipset driver as well.

Now if this doesn't work then maybe a system restore may help but in any case run these if you haven't already - in safe mode
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
Disk Check < if necessary include the /f and /r in the command line as per Option2

Then we might have to look at testing the RAM and there is only one test we recommend and that is this
RAM - Test with Memtest86+ this is a long process having to run for at least 8 passes any less and you may as well not bother - UNLESS the errors come up fairly quickly thehn it can be stopped and it is then a matter of tracking down the bad sticks but let us do the other stuff first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2016   #5
axe0

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Current best suggestion is to visit Windows Update to install all updates.
Code:
Hotfix(s):                 N/A
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2016   #6
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote:
Current best suggestion is to visit Windows Update to install all updates.
Yep well that is an option axe but it also means the OP may cop all the crap 10 updates too and personally I do not download any updates anymore because of the rubbish updates.

If the OP wants to do that it is of course his choice but if he doesn't want any upgrade stuff then I would suggest downloading and running the disable batch file from this at very least.

Upgrade to Windows 10 Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2016   #7
itslikecoffee

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks for your quick reply I really appreciate it.

So I went ahead and downloaded "DriverPack" and installed some drivers that were missing. I noticed on device manager there was an exclamation mark next to my USB drives but when I searched for drives to install by right clicking on them the search function couldn't find anything.

So Driverpack installed the USB drivers but now under device manager they are labelled as "unknown device". The computer didn't bluescreen for a good 2-3 hours but I got a bluescreen just then with the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

I don't understand the problem my computer is having, I'm not sure how to update my chipset drivers either as I don't know the make of my motherboard.

I would download windows 10 64 bit however my wifi adapter doesn't have windows 10 drivers so I can't connect to the internet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2016   #8
itslikecoffee

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Sam mate in the msinfo32 you have some problem devices ie it appears the Ethernet and universal serial USB drivers are not installed.

Code:
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B

PROCESS_NAME:  GFExperience.e

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

ANALYSIS_VERSION: 6.3.9600.17336 (debuggers(dbg).150226-1500) amd64fre

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from 0000000000000000 to fffff960000476a8

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff880`096526f0 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : win32k!xxxInternalDoPaint+0x40


FOLLOWUP_IP: 
win32k!xxxInternalDoPaint+40
fffff960`000476a8 ff4108          inc     dword ptr [rcx+8]

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  0

SYMBOL_NAME:  win32k!xxxInternalDoPaint+40

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: win32k

IMAGE_NAME:  win32k.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  56b38fde

IMAGE_VERSION:  6.1.7601.19145

STACK_COMMAND:  .cxr 0xfffff88009651d10 ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_win32k!xxxInternalDoPaint+40
In this it refers to a Windows update and frankly tracking those dump files down is a daunting task.

So I suggest you update those drivers and in fact it might be an idea to update the chipset driver as well.

Now if this doesn't work then maybe a system restore may help but in any case run these if you haven't already - in safe mode
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
Disk Check < if necessary include the /f and /r in the command line as per Option2

Then we might have to look at testing the RAM and there is only one test we recommend and that is this
RAM - Test with Memtest86+ this is a long process having to run for at least 8 passes any less and you may as well not bother - UNLESS the errors come up fairly quickly thehn it can be stopped and it is then a matter of tracking down the bad sticks but let us do the other stuff first.
Okay so I tried updating the drivers, the chipset drivers and "SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
Disk Check < if necessary include the /f and /r in the command line as per Option2"

But still I am getting blue screens. Mainly when I'm browsing chrome and the browser crashes.

What should I do now? This has been driving me crazy for weeks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2016   #9
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by itslikecoffee View Post
Thanks for your quick reply I really appreciate it.

So I went ahead and downloaded "DriverPack" and installed some drivers that were missing. I noticed on device manager there was an exclamation mark next to my USB drives but when I searched for drives to install by right clicking on them the search function couldn't find anything.

So Driverpack installed the USB drivers but now under device manager they are labelled as "unknown device". The computer didn't bluescreen for a good 2-3 hours but I got a bluescreen just then with the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

I don't understand the problem my computer is having, I'm not sure how to update my chipset drivers either as I don't know the make of my motherboard.

I would download windows 10 64 bit however my wifi adapter doesn't have windows 10 drivers so I can't connect to the internet.
I would get rid of the driver program, that's just going to make things worse.

This is your motherboard,

Code:
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoardProduct = M5A97 R2.0
BaseBoardVersion = Rev 1.xx
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...Desk_Download/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2016   #10
itslikecoffee

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Hi everyone thank you for your help, I went ahead and installed the chipset drivers for my motherboard. There was also a sneaky link I didn't see to update my USB drivers too and everything is now working. I am bluescreen free! And I removed the driver update software as advised.

I also opened up the computer and made sure all the cables were in place and switched the ram stick to another ram port just to make sure it wasn't the ports messing up.

Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD caused by windows update




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe after clean install/windows update.
Hi, After performing a fresh install along with the basic drivers to get me going everything went fine. however after windows connected to the internet and downloaded and installed the so called important updates the system restarted just before windows logon screen it was applying the usual...
BSOD Help and Support
A update caused windows update settings to reset?
Just posting as a warning to others (and to vent my annoyance a bit) I always set up my Windows update settings to "check and notify but don't download and install unless I tell you to" to prevent HDD thrashing, performance downgrading at the worst possible times and annoying "oh, you need to...
Windows Updates & Activation
Random BSOD after WIN update(Latest caused by: pci.sys)
Hi Guys, Please have a look. Thx:cool:
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD after WIN update(Latest caused by: pci.sys)
Hi guys, This is the second BSOD received & I've ran the debugging tools to conclude that its (pci.sys) causing my problem. The laptop is currently up to date and I thought that if I update again this BSOD would be resolved but now its already up to date. I enabled driver verifier to force...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows update caused bsod
earlier today i installed the latest security updates released by microsoft along with the malicious software removal tool update. upon completion of the updates i restarted my computer as usual to finish the installation. when it rebooted i was unable to log-on. i would click on the picture and...
Windows Updates & Activation
Fix Windows 7 BSOD caused by Windows 7 update
Beta testers of Windows 7 report that recently released security updates pushed through the Windows Update mechanism cause blue screens of death (BSOD) at startup, with a failure on kl1.sys. It appears that, in some cases, this problem may be caused by a conflict with the Kaspersky Antivirus...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App