Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 boot problems (possible registry issue?)

30 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition
 
 
Windows 7 boot problems (possible registry issue?)

Okay, I realize I shouldn't have messed with the registry, but I did ("I'm curious as a cat, that's why my friends call me whiskers!" sorry, SNL reference...). Now, I am not really sure how to fix my problem.

My problem:
Windows 7 (64 bit) reboots itself before it gets to the login screen.

Here are the steps of action I have taken and how they have failed:
Startup repair will not fix problem automatically.
System restore says system protection is not enabled for the C:/ (System) drive.
Safe mode will not boot at all (blue-screens really fast and reboots before I get the chance to see it).
In command prompt, "sfc /scannow" (system file checker) says that it cannot run because a system restore is pending and restart and run again, but it continues to say the same thing after reboot (because it cannot correctly start up).
Cannot do an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 since I cannot boot correctly.

My hypothesis:
Registry error.

Is there any more information you need? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I am a computer user with intermediate knowledge, so you don't need to baby me and say "take it to best buy" xD (hopefully I won't have to LOL)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Nov 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toast View Post
Okay, I realize I shouldn't have messed with the registry, but I did ("I'm curious as a cat, that's why my friends call me whiskers!" sorry, SNL reference...). Now, I am not really sure how to fix my problem.

My problem:
Windows 7 (64 bit) reboots itself before it gets to the login screen.

Here are the steps of action I have taken and how they have failed:
Startup repair will not fix problem automatically.
System restore says system protection is not enabled for the C:/ (System) drive.
Safe mode will not boot at all (blue-screens really fast and reboots before I get the chance to see it).
In command prompt, "sfc /scannow" (system file checker) says that it cannot run because a system restore is pending and restart and run again, but it continues to say the same thing after reboot (because it cannot correctly start up).
Cannot do an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 since I cannot boot correctly.

My hypothesis:
Registry error.

Is there any more information you need? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I am a computer user with intermediate knowledge, so you don't need to baby me and say "take it to best buy" xD (hopefully I won't have to LOL)
Hi toast and welcome

I have to say great screen name<g> Is there anything you cant live without on the current OS? do you have access to a boot disk from another OS (vista, xp, linux)?

Join the club I have hosed countless systems because of my curiousity (see avitar)

Waiting for info

Kenn J++
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toast View Post
Okay, I realize I shouldn't have messed with the registry, but I did ("I'm curious as a cat, that's why my friends call me whiskers!" sorry, SNL reference...). Now, I am not really sure how to fix my problem.

My problem:
Windows 7 (64 bit) reboots itself before it gets to the login screen.

Here are the steps of action I have taken and how they have failed:
Startup repair will not fix problem automatically.
System restore says system protection is not enabled for the C:/ (System) drive.
Safe mode will not boot at all (blue-screens really fast and reboots before I get the chance to see it).
In command prompt, "sfc /scannow" (system file checker) says that it cannot run because a system restore is pending and restart and run again, but it continues to say the same thing after reboot (because it cannot correctly start up).
Cannot do an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 since I cannot boot correctly.

My hypothesis:
Registry error.

Is there any more information you need? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I am a computer user with intermediate knowledge, so you don't need to baby me and say "take it to best buy" xD (hopefully I won't have to LOL)
Hi toast and welcome

I have to say great screen name<g> Is there anything you cant live without on the current OS? do you have access to a boot disk from another OS (vista, xp, linux)?

Join the club I have hosed countless systems because of my curiousity (see avitar)

Waiting for info

Kenn J++
First, thanks for the welcome and compliment!

I have access to my Windows 7 and multiple Linux install discs. I am currently running on a Linux Mint 7 Live CD, actually xD

I have plenty of programs and files I would wish to keep in my past Windows 7 installation, and would prefer not to lose them if possible. Looking to restore the registry (if that's the actual problem) and getting back to normal use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Nov 2009   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Try booting from the Installation/Repair disc and restoring to your latest restore point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan King View Post
Try booting from the Installation/Repair disc and restoring to your latest restore point.
As I said in my original post, it says "system protection is not enabled for the C:/ (System) drive." I know this isn't true, but somehow it doesn't think that it is enabled. I tried this from the Installed (on HDD) startup repair, Windows 7 repair disc, and the Windows 7 installation disc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Tell you what: I will not try to hijack Ken's help. If all else fails, you can always do a clean install on top of your current partition, and manually retrieve you files from Windows.old. Hopefully it won't come to that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan King View Post
Tell you what: I will not try to hijack Ken's help. If all else fails, you can always do a clean install on top of your current partition, and manually retrieve you files from Windows.old. Hopefully it won't come to that.
Thanks for the idea. I think that would mean that a lot of my programs would not be able to run, due to their old entries being in the old registry. I am trying to restore those old registry files so I don't have to go through that pain. Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #8

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I agree just clean install. And make sure system restore is on and working.

Sometimes it takes less time performing a clean install then spending days trying to fix something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belikexp View Post
I agree just clean install. And make sure system restore is on and working.

Sometimes it takes less time performing a clean install then spending days trying to fix something.
Yes, but I would prefer to keep my settings/programs intact. It's worth a few days.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Go ahead and contact Ken. I regret hijacking his help now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 boot problems (possible registry issue?)




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 boot problems (possible registry issue?)
Thread Forum
Windows 7 boot issue with master boot record Installation & Setup
Urgent Problem! Can't restore registry backup, Can't Boot Windows. Backup and Restore
Weird Windows 7 Registry Issue - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT General Discussion
Corrupt Registry prevents Windows 7 boot BSOD Help and Support
Can't boot windows 7 after registry restore Backup and Restore
Windows 7 32bit Registry problems BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 x64 dvd doesn't boot up -Not boot order issue Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33