Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD

02 Dec 2009   #1

 
BSOD

Hi guys! I know this has probably been answered before, but I don't get too many chances to check out all of the forums.

About 3 weeks ago, the screen on my HP laptop (dv2715nr) stated flashing and going black. Thinking it may have been a screen saver issue, I turned THAT off. It didn't help. I still got the black screens. This persisted for a while. It finally stopped doing this after a week or so.

The last 3 days, the screen flickered once when I turn the computer on in the am before work. I just told my girlfriend about THAT issue tonight and she said it was news to her.

I just had the problem happen again about 1/2 an hour ago. The computer was fine, I was in Chrome surfing. I had to do something and left the computer...came back and the screen was black. I turned off the laptop with the on/off button. After a couple tries, the computer finally came on AFTER I turned it on and having to hit the ENTER key to get the computer to boot. There was a screen that said Windows encountered a problem. When I checked the details, it said I had the BSOD. Not having the BSOD issue in MANY MANY years, I wasn't aware this was a BSOD issue....the screen didn't turn blue!

Now that I am aware of what this is, I can now further pursue this.

Is there any way that I can pull up the error codes that windows showed me so I can check this out? I'm running Windows 7 RC.

Thanks!!!

Rick

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Dec 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
Hi guys! I know this has probably been answered before, but I don't get too many chances to check out all of the forums.

About 3 weeks ago, the screen on my HP laptop (dv2715nr) stated flashing and going black. Thinking it may have been a screen saver issue, I turned THAT off. It didn't help. I still got the black screens. This persisted for a while. It finally stopped doing this after a week or so.

The last 3 days, the screen flickered once when I turn the computer on in the am before work. I just told my girlfriend about THAT issue tonight and she said it was news to her.

I just had the problem happen again about 1/2 an hour ago. The computer was fine, I was in Chrome surfing. I had to do something and left the computer...came back and the screen was black. I turned off the laptop with the on/off button. After a couple tries, the computer finally came on AFTER I turned it on and having to hit the ENTER key to get the computer to boot. There was a screen that said Windows encountered a problem. When I checked the details, it said I had the BSOD. Not having the BSOD issue in MANY MANY years, I wasn't aware this was a BSOD issue....the screen didn't turn blue!

Now that I am aware of what this is, I can now further pursue this.

Is there any way that I can pull up the error codes that windows showed me so I can check this out? I'm running Windows 7 RC.

Thanks!!!

Rick
Hi rick and welcome

It might have been a BSOD. if it was there should be a log in event viewer, and a DMP file in c:\windows\minidump. use these instructions if there is. http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...d-problem.html.

If not, it may fall into the black screen cat. for info about that go here 'Black screen of death' for some Windows 7 users.

Hope this covers all the bases. Let us know if you need some help


Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #3

 

Hi rick and welcome

It might have been a BSOD. if it was there should be a log in event viewer, and a DMP file in c:\windows\minidump. use these instructions if there is. http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...d-problem.html.

If not, it may fall into the black screen cat. for info about that go here 'Black screen of death' for some Windows 7 users.

Hope this covers all the bases. Let us know if you need some help


Ken J+[/QUOTE]

Hi Ken,

Just happened again.

Here's the details of what Windows gave me....forgive the format in which I type it....

Quote....

Problem Signatures
Prob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Dec 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Um Rick

What details?


Ken

EDIT: if you are trying to attach something for upload use the paperclip shaped icon in the reply form
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #5

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Um Rick

What details?


Ken

EDIT: if you are trying to attach something for upload use the paperclip shaped icon in the reply form
Brain fart.

Will post the long list tonight when I get home from work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2009   #6

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Um Rick

What details?


Ken

EDIT: if you are trying to attach something for upload use the paperclip shaped icon in the reply form
Hi Ken,

Finally got around to doing something about this. Here's a couple dumps in zip form...

Thanks, in advance, for any help you (or anyone else) can offer!

Rick
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2009   #7
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Both are STOP 0x124 errors. More info on it here: BSOD Index
In short, this is an error that's reported to Windows by your CPU. And this means that the memory dump files aren't as detailed, or as easy to read as a Windows memory dump.

Luckily (for the analyst, not for the user) it's usual that these errors are caused by only 2 or 3 things:
- broken hardware
- incompatible hardware/drivers
- corrupted drivers (some analysts will disagree with this).

Also, I perform an analysis on the memory dumps in order to see if there's anything out of the ordinary. Most often the only information I get is a listing of older drivers (which are more likely to be incompatible). The only older driver I noted on your system was the Speedfan driver - and there's not a newer version available (and, AFAIK, it doesn't cause problems with Windows).

I suggest running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on your system to see if there's any obvious compatibility issues. It's free from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I noticed that you are using the Release Candidate build (7100) that expires in June of 2010. I would suggest upgrading to the final version of Windows 7 as it may contain changes that improve the compatibility of your system. You can install a trial version to see if it is compatible - then purchase it if it suits your needs.

Please upload the results of the Upgrade Advisor scan, and also upload the following:
MSINFO32
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2009   #8

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
Both are STOP 0x124 errors. More info on it here: BSOD Index
In short, this is an error that's reported to Windows by your CPU. And this means that the memory dump files aren't as detailed, or as easy to read as a Windows memory dump.

Luckily (for the analyst, not for the user) it's usual that these errors are caused by only 2 or 3 things:
- broken hardware
- incompatible hardware/drivers
- corrupted drivers (some analysts will disagree with this).

Also, I perform an analysis on the memory dumps in order to see if there's anything out of the ordinary. Most often the only information I get is a listing of older drivers (which are more likely to be incompatible). The only older driver I noted on your system was the Speedfan driver - and there's not a newer version available (and, AFAIK, it doesn't cause problems with Windows).

I suggest running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on your system to see if there's any obvious compatibility issues. It's free from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I noticed that you are using the Release Candidate build (7100) that expires in June of 2010. I would suggest upgrading to the final version of Windows 7 as it may contain changes that improve the compatibility of your system. You can install a trial version to see if it is compatible - then purchase it if it suits your needs.

Please upload the results of the Upgrade Advisor scan, and also upload the following:
MSINFO32
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
This dump is from a just-happened event. I ran the upgrade advisor and it said everything was compatible. I didn't get to upload the log file from it yet. I ran msinfo32.exe and didn't see anything about scanning. I'll check this out again. Doesn't help that I'm doing this stuff before I go out the door.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2009   #9

 

I noticed that you are using the Release Candidate build (7100) that expires in June of 2010. I would suggest upgrading to the final version of Windows 7 as it may contain changes that improve the compatibility of your system. You can install a trial version to see if it is compatible - then purchase it if it suits your needs.

Hey john,

The only trial I see of Windows 7 is the Enterprise 90-day version. Is this the one you're referring to?

The reason I haven't upgraded from RC is because money is tight here and I can't afford it. When March hits, I'll probably go back to Vista and wait until I can get 7.

--Rick
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2009   #10
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Yes, the Enterprise trial will work (for 90 days). That's (IMO) the surest way for you to get the best results out of Windows 7.

When did you purchase your laptop? You may be able to get a Windows 7 upgrade for free from HP if it was within the window that they released it for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33