Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Surprise! Windows 7 BSODs


15 Dec 2009   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Surprise! Windows 7 BSODs

I recently bought a new computer and have today plugged it in and set it up (Preinstalled with Windows 7 Home Premium x64). Everything was fine for a couple hours as I was going about installing a few minor things (flash, quicktime, etc) then the BSOD's started.

I wish I could say I had an idea or theory as to what was causing them but I don't. The most I've had going on when it BSOD'd sometimes was just mIRC, Chrome, and Trillian; while the least I've had going on was literally just Chrome as I searched for answers immediately after other crashes.

Originally when I was trying to look up information I saw others having similar problems; I saw some suggestions that Norton was causing problems for them. So I uninstalled it and even used the official removal tool afterwards to be certain there was nothing left behind to cause me grief. Still it kept blue screening. Thus here I am since this seemed like a nice and helpful place. I have no experience resolving blue screens at all so any help is GREATLY appreciated.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Dec 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

The first one,..Probably caused by : afd.sys Which is a NIC driver problem. I would look around for the most recent NIC driver you can find for your system.

Second one is, des2svr.exe, not too sure on this one.

Third is the typical, Probably caused by : memory_corruption, Which can occur if memory settings aren't correct but shows up for many other reasons.

In fact the last three dmp's point to memory corruption so you may want to look up your memory settings and make sure they are correct.
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_MEMORY_CORRUPTION_STRIDE

You may also have some faulty memory so you should test it using Memtest. I like the Windows version but you can use the .iso cd of Memtest86+ to test if you want.
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html
http://download.cnet.com/Memtest86/3...-10912366.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I'm not even sure how I would go about checking memory, I've never had to do this kind of thing before.

Also there isn't a network card so much as an ethernet port built into the MB which I was using to connect to my router; but I can still look for updates there I suppose.

Like I said I'm pretty inexperienced with this kind of thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Dec 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ezhno View Post
I'm not even sure how I would go about checking memory, I've never had to do this kind of thing before.

Also there isn't a network card so much as an ethernet port built into the MB which I was using to connect to my router; but I can still look for updates there I suppose.

Like I said I'm pretty inexperienced with this kind of thing.
If you fill can accurately fill in your system specs I might be able to help you find a better NIC driver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I'll just give you a direct link to the exact system I purchased.
Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 938i Intel Core i7 860(2.80GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

When I bought it the system was being sold at a considerable discount (black friday) and was the best (spec wise) I could afford at that sale price. Somewhat embarrassing to buy a system like this which blue screens on me so much...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ezhno View Post
I'll just give you a direct link to the exact system I purchased.
Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 938i Intel Core i7 860(2.80GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

When I bought it the system was being sold at a considerable discount (black friday) and was the best (spec wise) I could afford at that sale price. Somewhat embarrassing to buy a system like this which blue screens on me so much...
Sounds like you are having RAM failure. Have you contacted NewEgg?
Did it come 2with a restore disk? You can try that or just send it back.
Not that much help but I'd just do a complete reinstall if you have the disks and don't want to send back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

The reviews at Newegg for your system are not so good but people are saying that the default memory setting of 1333 is not stable for them and they need to take the memory to 1066MHz before it would run stable.

This coincides exactly with the problems you are having. I'm not familior with your bios but if you can figure out how to change the memory speed to 1066MHz it ill most likely solve your problems.

Here is what people are saying about your system>> Also, the RAM on my 938i system will not run stable at it's advertised speed of 1333. It will only run stable at 1066.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The first one,..Probably caused by : afd.sys Which is a NIC driver problem. I would look around for the most recent NIC driver you can find for your system.

Second one is, des2svr.exe, not too sure on this one.
I actually 'updated' the ethernet driver with a cd that came with the system from the motherboards manufacturer (DES 2 was also a management program I installed off of that CD). I've since uninstalled everything from that CD I put on the system. Hopefully this will fix the majority of the issue.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IggyAZ View Post
Sounds like you are having RAM failure. Have you contacted NewEgg?
Did it come 2with a restore disk? You can try that or just send it back.
Not that much help but I'd just do a complete reinstall if you have the disks and don't want to send back.
Yes I have the OS disc so I could just flat out format if I needed to. From the reviews doesn't sound like newegg would take it back anyway.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The reviews at Newegg for your system are not so good but people are saying that the default memory setting of 1333 is not stable for them and they need to take the memory to 1066MHz before it would run stable.

This coincides exactly with the problems you are having. I'm not familior with your bios but if you can figure out how to change the memory speed to 1066MHz it ill most likely solve your problems.
Yes I saw the reviews too however the system was new and just been listed for Black Friday so at the time there weren't any reviews else I wouldn't have bothered. Sure I can change the memory frequency, thats simple enough. I'd hate to have to do that but if thats what it comes down to....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ezhno View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The first one,..Probably caused by : afd.sys Which is a NIC driver problem. I would look around for the most recent NIC driver you can find for your system.

Second one is, des2svr.exe, not too sure on this one.
I actually 'updated' the ethernet driver with a cd that came with the system from the motherboards manufacturer (DES 2 was also a management program I installed off of that CD). I've since uninstalled everything from that CD I put on the system. Hopefully this will fix the majority of the issue.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IggyAZ View Post
Sounds like you are having RAM failure. Have you contacted NewEgg?
Did it come 2with a restore disk? You can try that or just send it back.
Not that much help but I'd just do a complete reinstall if you have the disks and don't want to send back.
Yes I have the OS disc so I could just flat out format if I needed to. From the reviews doesn't sound like newegg would take it back anyway.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The reviews at Newegg for your system are not so good but people are saying that the default memory setting of 1333 is not stable for them and they need to take the memory to 1066MHz before it would run stable.

This coincides exactly with the problems you are having. I'm not familior with your bios but if you can figure out how to change the memory speed to 1066MHz it ill most likely solve your problems.
Yes I saw the reviews too however the system was new and just been listed for Black Friday so at the time there weren't any reviews else I wouldn't have bothered. Sure I can change the memory frequency, thats simple enough. I'd hate to have to do that but if thats what it comes down to....
The reviews make it clear that the adjustment from 1333 to 1066 is required for stablity. That is a pretty good clue on how to fix your problem I would say. It's very typical to make these types of adjustments on a new machine. More than likely you could make it stable at 1333 with the correct adjustments but it might be easier to just change the memory speed to 1066Mhz for now.

It shouldn't be to difficult to figure out hopefully. It will be easier than testing the memory for hours on end that is for sure. Your system looks pretty decent to me for the price.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Well at this point I think I'll run MemTest anyway given that... now whenever the system boots up a notepad file is automatically open which reads
Quote:
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787
In other words the desktop.ini...

I also saw some interesting things in the BIOS when I looked at it. There is apparently some kind of performance enhancement option directly under the memory frequency and it is currently (default) on. So if the problem does persist even though I've uninstalled those clearly troublesome utilities for the motherboard then I'll try turning that off. If it persists further I'll just change the frequency.

I guess that makes this solved. I really appreciate the help, thanks. Wouldn't have known where to start without it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Surprise! Windows 7 BSODs




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Surprise! Windows 7 BSODs
Thread Forum
Let Calcutta Surprise You Chillout Room
Who makes the best Windows security software? Surprise ... Security News
Who makes the best Windows security software? Surprise - by Ed Bott System Security
Surprise, surprise, Technet Downloads Aren't Genuine?? Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33