Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: 1 TB WDC Black fails to wake from sleep

29 Dec 2009   #1

Win 7 Ultimate X64
 
 
1 TB WDC Black fails to wake from sleep

Hello, I have 3 HDDs on my PC. Two WDC 640 GB Blacks (manufacture date June 2009) and a 1 TB Black (manufacture date November 2009). I use the 1 TB Black for storing my documents while the two 640 GB Blacks are for OS/Apps and Scratch files respectively.

The problem is when I wake up the PC from S3 sleep mode. The 2 640 GB Blacks spin up fine and I could get to the desktop but the 1 TB Black fails to start. Has anyone had issues similar to mine? Any suggestions?

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-55P-UD4PA.

Thanks!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Dec 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
Hello, I have 3 HDDs on my PC. Two WDC 640 GB Blacks (manufacture date June 2009) and a 1 TB Black (manufacture date November 2009). I use the 1 TB Black for storing my documents while the two 640 GB Blacks are for OS/Apps and Scratch files respectively.

The problem is when I wake up the PC from S3 sleep mode. The 2 640 GB Blacks spin up fine and I could get to the desktop but the 1 TB Black fails to start. Has anyone had issues similar to mine? Any suggestions?

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-55P-UD4PA.

Thanks!

Hii and welcome

Are the HD's external? and USB?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Hello, Welcome!

Can you confirm that your SATA controllers have the latest drivers? Use Device Manager to help you.

If you go into Disk Management, under Actions, you can select Rescan disks. This will wake the drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Dec 2009   #4

Win 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
Hello, I have 3 HDDs on my PC. Two WDC 640 GB Blacks (manufacture date June 2009) and a 1 TB Black (manufacture date November 2009). I use the 1 TB Black for storing my documents while the two 640 GB Blacks are for OS/Apps and Scratch files respectively.

The problem is when I wake up the PC from S3 sleep mode. The 2 640 GB Blacks spin up fine and I could get to the desktop but the 1 TB Black fails to start. Has anyone had issues similar to mine? Any suggestions?

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-55P-UD4PA.

Thanks!

Hii and welcome

Are the HD's external? and USB?
All are internal, connected to the built in Intel SATA controller (ICH10R).... ports 0-2.

I think it may be the hard drive in conjunction with the motherboard I am using. I had another 640 GB Black HDD on another computer and I swapped it for the 1 TB HDD. All three 640 GB woke up from S3 sleep with no problems. I also swapped in a 1 TB WDC Green HDD for the 3rd drive and this one fails to wake up just like the 1 TB WDC Black HDD.

I will also be trying to connect the 1TB drives to the SATA3 port using the Marvell controller and see what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows XP Pro x86 | Windows Vista Ultimate x86
 
 

You might want to take a look at this thread

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...-hiberate.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #6

Win 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Hello, Welcome!

Can you confirm that your SATA controllers have the latest drivers? Use Device Manager to help you.

If you go into Disk Management, under Actions, you can select Rescan disks. This will wake the drive.
Thanks for reminding me to update the drivers. I installed the latest Intel Matrix Storage drivers (I am running the drives in AHCI mode) and that seem to fix the issue with the Western Digital 1 TB Black drive... it now wakes up from sleep mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Sweet! Glad it's solved!

I will go ahead and asked that this thread be marked as solved; that way, others can quickly find the solution to their problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 1 TB WDC Black fails to wake from sleep





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33