Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: BSOD issues with HP Pavilion a6600f desktop

19 Jan 2010   #1

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
BSOD issues with HP Pavilion a6600f desktop

Hi everyone,

This is Julie in AZ. I am attaching the minidump zip for my BSOD problems with my desktop. Hopefully any help I can get regarding this issue will help other people with the same model of computer.

I do need to note that I have installed an NVIDIA video card in my PCI-Express x16 slot: a GeForce 9400 GT, so I can play Wow and run Daz Studio better with my machine.

The problems I have been experiencing are the following.

Since I bought the Win 7 3-License Family Pack in November, I have installed this on three systems: my son's Dell Inspiron desktop, my husband's self-built machine and my HP. Both the Dell and my husband's desktop run Win 7 great with no problems. Indeed, my son's Dell is running better on Win 7 than it ever did on XP.

My HP was originally sold with Vista 64 bit, which I removed after about a week of fighting with it. I've had XP on it for the most part since then. The system is about a year and a half old.

I currently have Windows 7 64 bit on it. This is the fourth install of the OS, since the first one eventually was nuked after I got frustrated with the constant BSOD and no seeming solution in sight. After 2 more failed attempts to install; the installs BSOD-ing out in the middle, I did a clean install (after formatting the harddrive) and installed this current instance of Windows 7.

Right now, all this machine has on it is the following: Windows 7 64 bit; Video Driver for NVIDIA GeForce 6400GT (current as of the website); avast! Antivirus; Firefox 3.5.5., HotCPU Tester, Test My Hardware and World of Warcraft. I am using stock Win 7 Drivers for everything else in my system.

Anyway, the BSODs have happened when the system starts up, it crashes out and restarts before the login screen comes up, it has crashed when the login screen comes up, and does seem to crash out at random times when open and not running anything. Of course, it has crashed trying to run Wow as well.

The attached minidump logs are the last 4 times it has crashed with this fresh install. If someone can make sense of this for me and give me a suggestion on what I might try, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently downloading a driver for my Mobo from Nvidia, hoping it might help.

Thanks folks!
Julie in AZ

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jan 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Diranda View Post
Hi everyone,

This is Julie in AZ. I am attaching the minidump zip for my BSOD problems with my desktop. Hopefully any help I can get regarding this issue will help other people with the same model of computer.

I do need to note that I have installed an NVIDIA video card in my PCI-Express x16 slot: a GeForce 9400 GT, so I can play Wow and run Daz Studio better with my machine.

The problems I have been experiencing are the following.

Since I bought the Win 7 3-License Family Pack in November, I have installed this on three systems: my son's Dell Inspiron desktop, my husband's self-built machine and my HP. Both the Dell and my husband's desktop run Win 7 great with no problems. Indeed, my son's Dell is running better on Win 7 than it ever did on XP.

My HP was originally sold with Vista 64 bit, which I removed after about a week of fighting with it. I've had XP on it for the most part since then. The system is about a year and a half old.

I currently have Windows 7 64 bit on it. This is the fourth install of the OS, since the first one eventually was nuked after I got frustrated with the constant BSOD and no seeming solution in sight. After 2 more failed attempts to install; the installs BSOD-ing out in the middle, I did a clean install (after formatting the harddrive) and installed this current instance of Windows 7.

Right now, all this machine has on it is the following: Windows 7 64 bit; Video Driver for NVIDIA GeForce 6400GT (current as of the website); avast! Antivirus; Firefox 3.5.5., HotCPU Tester, Test My Hardware and World of Warcraft. I am using stock Win 7 Drivers for everything else in my system.

Anyway, the BSODs have happened when the system starts up, it crashes out and restarts before the login screen comes up, it has crashed when the login screen comes up, and does seem to crash out at random times when open and not running anything. Of course, it has crashed trying to run Wow as well.

The attached minidump logs are the last 4 times it has crashed with this fresh install. If someone can make sense of this for me and give me a suggestion on what I might try, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently downloading a driver for my Mobo from Nvidia, hoping it might help.

Thanks folks!
Julie in AZ

Hi Julie and welcome

Well the probable cause of three of the four DMPs is your video driver. The last your audio.

You also have a few old drivers listed below that should be updated.

I would:
run a system file check
type cmd in search>right click and run as admin>sfc /scannow
Let us know the results

If you are overclocking STOP

edit: apologies I noticed that they were not all caused by the video driver. the other was caused by you network driver nvm62x64.sys. That should also be reinstalled


Again welcome and let us know if you need help


Ken J+


Code:
011510-19968-01.dmp    1/15/2010 11:49:20 PM        0x00000116    fffffa80`050f8010    fffff880`049696c0    00000000`00000000    00000000`0000000d    dxgkrnl.sys    dxgkrnl.sys+5ccbc                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\New folder\011510-19968-01.dmp    2    15    7600    
011810-13884-01.dmp    1/18/2010 9:51:24 AM    BAD_POOL_CALLER    0x000000c2    00000000`00000007    00000000`00001097    00000000`0002cf72    fffffa80`040d7658    HdAudio.sys    HdAudio.sys+b5d0                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\New folder\011810-13884-01.dmp    2    15    7600    
011510-23446-01.dmp    1/15/2010 11:47:12 PM    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION    0x0000003b    00000000`c000001d    fffffa80`00000042    fffff880`02e75010    00000000`00000000    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\New folder\011510-23446-01.dmp    2    15    7600    
011710-15366-01.dmp    1/17/2010 2:15:48 PM    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL    0x000000d1    00000000`00000000    00000000`00000002    00000000`00000000    fffff880`03a163b6    nvm62x64.sys    nvm62x64.sys+163b6                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\New folder\011710-15366-01.dmp    2    15    7600
Code:
mdmxsdk.sys        fffff880`0265e000    fffff880`02662280    0x00004280    0x449716be    6/19/2006 4:27:26 PM                        
secdrv.SYS        fffff880`05ee4000    fffff880`05eef000    0x0000b000    0x4508052e    9/13/2006 8:18:38 AM                        
adfs.SYS        fffff880`04e9c000    fffff880`04eb4000    0x00018000    0x48640195    6/26/2008 3:52:37 PM
Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.404 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


Loading Dump File [C:\Users\K\Desktop\New folder\011510-23446-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*d:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is: 
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (2 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 7600.16385.amd64fre.win7_rtm.090713-1255
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`0281d000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`02a5ae50
Debug session time: Sat Jan 16 01:42:45.796 2010 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:11.809
Loading Kernel Symbols
...............................................................
...............................................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
....
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c000001d, fffffa8000000042, fffff88002e75010, 0}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+17a94d )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

1: kd> !analyze -v
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
An exception happened while executing a system service routine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c000001d, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: fffffa8000000042, Address of the exception record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg3: fffff88002e75010, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.

Debugging Details:
------------------


EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000001d - {EXCEPTION}  Illegal Instruction  An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.

FAULTING_IP: 
+5d5c50
fffffa80`00000042 ff              ???

CONTEXT:  fffff88002e75010 -- (.cxr 0xfffff88002e75010)
rax=fffffa8004300000 rbx=fffff88002e75a50 rcx=fffff88002e75a50
rdx=000000000000000d rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=000000000000000d
rip=fffffa8000000042 rsp=fffff88002e759f8 rbp=fffff88002e75a50
 r8=0000000000000000  r9=0000000000000000 r10=fffffa800435d9db
r11=0000000000000000 r12=0000000000000000 r13=0000000000000000
r14=0000000000000000 r15=fffffa8003ac0ba4
iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz na pe cy
cs=0010  ss=0018  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00010203
fffffa80`00000042 ff              ???
Resetting default scope

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B

PROCESS_NAME:  csrss.exe

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff8800498794d to fffffa8000000042

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff880`02e759f8 fffff880`0498794d : 00000000`0000000c fffff880`0000000c fffff880`04de2c50 00000000`00000000 : 0xfffffa80`00000042
fffff880`02e75a00 00000000`0000000c : fffff880`0000000c fffff880`04de2c50 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`04300000 : nvlddmkm+0x17a94d
fffff880`02e75a08 fffff880`0000000c : fffff880`04de2c50 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`04300000 fffff880`02e75c00 : 0xc
fffff880`02e75a10 fffff880`04de2c50 : 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`04300000 fffff880`02e75c00 fffffa80`042ff010 : 0xfffff880`0000000c
fffff880`02e75a18 00000000`00000000 : fffffa80`04300000 fffff880`02e75c00 fffffa80`042ff010 fffffa80`04300000 : nvlddmkm+0x5d5c50


FOLLOWUP_IP: 
nvlddmkm+17a94d
fffff880`0498794d ??              ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  1

SYMBOL_NAME:  nvlddmkm+17a94d

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

IMAGE_NAME:  nvlddmkm.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  4a0c8387

STACK_COMMAND:  .cxr 0xfffff88002e75010 ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_nvlddmkm+17a94d

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_nvlddmkm+17a94d

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2010   #3

windows 7 64bit
 
 

Diranda

I have the exact same computer ( minus the graphics card ) and have had issues with it since day one of the Win 7 install also in Nov. You may want to view my post, "BSOD in sleep mode" and see if it gives you any ideas.

kcburgie
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Jan 2010   #4

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Hi Ken & kc

I downloaded the current driver for the Motherboard, which seems to help. I also reinstalled the current driver for the video card. Win 7 has updated since, and the audio drivers are replaced. I haven't been able to replace the network driver, but it may have been replaced in the mobo update that I did.

I haven't had a BSOD since Tuesday, which is good, however, I am having flickering issues with the video when running Wow. I haven't tried installing Daz Studio yet (it's a long process).

I did do a scannow, which did not find anything wrong.

I'm going to see if I can research my video card issues, but the driver I have is the most current one for that card from Nvidia. I just got this card about a week ago, because we were concerned that the older card I had was causing the problems. Unfortunately the problems don't seem to have stopped. Is it possible that the onboard video card is interfering some way? I don't know how it would, since it's turned off in the BIOS.

Anyway, thanks SO much for all the help so far, you've definitely helped me make some headway with this.

Cheers,
Julie in AZ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #5

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Diranda View Post
Hi Ken & kc

I downloaded the current driver for the Motherboard, which seems to help. I also reinstalled the current driver for the video card. Win 7 has updated since, and the audio drivers are replaced. I haven't been able to replace the network driver, but it may have been replaced in the mobo update that I did.

I haven't had a BSOD since Tuesday, which is good, however, I am having flickering issues with the video when running Wow. I haven't tried installing Daz Studio yet (it's a long process).

I did do a scannow, which did not find anything wrong.

I'm going to see if I can research my video card issues, but the driver I have is the most current one for that card from Nvidia. I just got this card about a week ago, because we were concerned that the older card I had was causing the problems. Unfortunately the problems don't seem to have stopped. Is it possible that the onboard video card is interfering some way? I don't know how it would, since it's turned off in the BIOS.

Anyway, thanks SO much for all the help so far, you've definitely helped me make some headway with this.

Cheers,
Julie in AZ

Hi Julie

Could we get some specifics about your video card, monitor, and what resolution you have it set to.



Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #6
Microsoft MVP

 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2010   #7

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Hi folks,

Here's the monitor and video card info:
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2035wm, flat screen. Native 1680 x 1050, which is what it is set to now.
Screen Refresh: 59 hz; 32 bit True color. Windows lists this as a Generic PnP monitor.

VideoCard: NVIDIA GeForce 9200 GT PCI Express x16; 1024 MB DDR2

We ran the Stability Tests, GPU tests and the memtest, none of which found anything wrong.

I have had 4 more crashes since yesterday, which I have attached in a zip file. <sigh!>

Thanks,
Julie

PS: The on board video card had some issues which was one of the reasons I replaced it. I couldn't run my art software or games well with it, but it had some performance issues as well (it didn't want to use my monitor's digital settings, so we had to use it in analog).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2010   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Diranda View Post
Hi folks,

Here's the monitor and video card info:
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2035wm, flat screen. Native 1680 x 1050, which is what it is set to now.
Screen Refresh: 59 hz; 32 bit True color. Windows lists this as a Generic PnP monitor.

VideoCard: NVIDIA GeForce 9200 GT PCI Express x16; 1024 MB DDR2

We ran the Stability Tests, GPU tests and the memtest, none of which found anything wrong.

I have had 4 more crashes since yesterday, which I have attached in a zip file. <sigh!>

Thanks,
Julie

Hi Julie

Well It still seems like there are two problems. First two of the four crashes were still caused by your video driver. All four however were memory related. Since you replaced the video driver alreaady I think it would be prudent to start looking at the memory. I do have a question. Does it blue screen in safe mode )F8)?

Now onto the memory. you should go get memtestx86 and run it for 5 passes. It is going to take a lot of time. It will tell us if there is either a memory problem or maybe a heat problem.

Im not sure but if you havent run a system file check
type cmd in search>right click and run as admin>sfc /scannow


If the memory and the system show no errors we will get more aggressive. if we need to get more aggressive you will need a backup and a win 7 dvd.


Good Luck

Ken



Code:
012210-14554-01.dmp    1/22/2010 7:04:26 AM    ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY    0x000000be    fffff880`048748f8    00000000`b9e27121    fffff880`03543900    00000000`0000000b    nvlddmkm.sys    nvlddmkm.sys+248f8                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\New folder\012210-14554-01.dmp    2    15    7600    
012210-15880-01.dmp    1/22/2010 6:51:52 AM    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA    0x00000050    fffff882`06ccedb7    00000000`00000008    fffff882`06ccedb7    00000000`00000005    spsys.sys    spsys.sys+149c8                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\New folder\012210-15880-01.dmp    2    15    7600    
012110-21325-01.dmp    1/21/2010 1:35:36 PM    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION    0x0000003b    00000000`c0000005    fffff880`0f72a3ee    fffff880`02e39d30    00000000`00000000    nvlddmkm.sys    nvlddmkm.sys+6423ee                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\New folder\012110-21325-01.dmp    2    15    7600    
012210-15818-01.dmp    1/22/2010 6:48:26 AM    SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED    0x1000007e    ffffffff`c0000005    fffff880`0659a10b    fffff880`02fd5238    fffff880`02fd4a90    peauth.sys    peauth.sys+7de6e                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\New folder\012210-15818-01.dmp    2    15    7600
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2010   #9
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Let's give Driver Verifier a shot. Please use these directions:
Quote:
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
If that doesn't work, post back and we'll have to see about fixing the registry entry off-line.

More info on this at this link: Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2010   #10

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post

Hi Julie

Well It still seems like there are two problems. First two of the four crashes were still caused by your video driver. All four however were memory related. Since you replaced the video driver alreaady I think it would be prudent to start looking at the memory. I do have a question. Does it blue screen in safe mode )F8)?

Now onto the memory. you should go get memtestx86 and run it for 5 passes. It is going to take a lot of time. It will tell us if there is either a memory problem or maybe a heat problem.

Im not sure but if you havent run a system file check
type cmd in search>right click and run as admin>sfc /scannow


If the memory and the system show no errors we will get more aggressive. if we need to get more aggressive you will need a backup and a win 7 dvd.


Good Luck

Ken

Hi Ken,

We have done a /scannow on the computer which has come up with no errors on the memory.

One thing we're thinking of checking is the monitor itself, but we're pretty tapped out on ideas for solutions.

Thanks,
Julie

PS: Yes, it has blue screened in Safe Mode when shutting down.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD issues with HP Pavilion a6600f desktop





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: BSOD issues with HP Pavilion a6600f desktop
Thread Forum
BSOD Issues - Worse whilst gaming/streaming, can crash on desktop. BSOD Help and Support
HP Pavilion dv7 Using 100% CPU idling at desktop Performance & Maintenance
HP Pavilion DV6-1120sa BIOS and Desktop freezing/shutdown BSOD Help and Support
HP Pavilion 6000 series desktop PC PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Help: HP Pavilion dv7 Instability Issues (Heat Related?) Performance & Maintenance
New HP Pavilion p6230y with Windows 7. Desktop stretch Graphic Cards
HP Pavilion tx1220ca Hardware Issues Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33