Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 64 bit - random BSOD


04 Feb 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Windows 7 64 bit - random BSOD

I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on my workstation, previously running Windows XP professional. My problem is that it is extremely unstable; It randomly restarts - my screen goes black and then it restarts. I have installed Windows 7 twice - on the first install. I had gotten everything set up, all my programs (primarily video editing in nature- Adobe Master Collection CS3, Sorenson Squeeze and such) and my computer restarted. It froze and for a half second a scrambled screen appeared then it restarted. On restart it first said that it needed a bootable device cause it couldn't find one. On the second attempt at restart it would not allow me to load into windows it just came to the screen "starting windows" and remained there. On restart it gave me no option for start normal - just the option to repair system startup - or continue if it was just a power failure. The continue did not work. So I tried to repair startup - this would not work either - it said that windows could not repair itself. So I was forced to format my drive and reinstall.

On second installation - I thought I was safe. Then I had the same random BSOD. This time however, I repaired restart. It said that it was repairing my registry. But it must have monkeyed with it because it corrupted some of my programs. Then I continued to have the same freeze, scramble, reboot - only on the next several occasions it gave me a bluescreen. I tried after looking at forums to up the voltage of my ECC Ram (4gb - 2slots) from 1.8v to 1.83v (manufacture says they should run at 1.8v). This did not seem to help. I also tried running it with only one stick of Ram - worked for awhile over night, but then failed again the next day. I don't know if there is any relation - two failures were during system backup (from backup/restore center) and twice it failed when I was deleting from the trash. But then it failed at other random times as well. - However, It will work for extended periods of time - but then randomly quits.

I am trying to find the problem - but do not know where else to look. It appears to be hardware, but then I am not sure if it could be software related. I MUST get this machine up and running - Primary work machine.

***included dump files


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Feb 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mfourman View Post
I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on my workstation, previously running Windows XP professional. My problem is that it is extremely unstable; It randomly restarts - my screen goes black and then it restarts. I have installed Windows 7 twice - on the first install. I had gotten everything set up, all my programs (primarily video editing in nature- Adobe Master Collection CS3, Sorenson Squeeze and such) and my computer restarted. It froze and for a half second a scrambled screen appeared then it restarted. On restart it first said that it needed a bootable device cause it couldn't find one. On the second attempt at restart it would not allow me to load into windows it just came to the screen "starting windows" and remained there. On restart it gave me no option for start normal - just the option to repair system startup - or continue if it was just a power failure. The continue did not work. So I tried to repair startup - this would not work either - it said that windows could not repair itself. So I was forced to format my drive and reinstall.

On second installation - I thought I was safe. Then I had the same random BSOD. This time however, I repaired restart. It said that it was repairing my registry. But it must have monkeyed with it because it corrupted some of my programs. Then I continued to have the same freeze, scramble, reboot - only on the next several occasions it gave me a bluescreen. I tried after looking at forums to up the voltage of my ECC Ram (4gb - 2slots) from 1.8v to 1.83v (manufacture says they should run at 1.8v). This did not seem to help. I also tried running it with only one stick of Ram - worked for awhile over night, but then failed again the next day. I don't know if there is any relation - two failures were during system backup (from backup/restore center) and twice it failed when I was deleting from the trash. But then it failed at other random times as well. - However, It will work for extended periods of time - but then randomly quits.

I am trying to find the problem - but do not know where else to look. It appears to be hardware, but then I am not sure if it could be software related. I MUST get this machine up and running - Primary work machine.

***included dump files
Hi and welcome

These crashes have several different causes which tends to point to hardware as you said. The majority of the crashes seem to be caused by a critical OS file (ntoskernl.exe) quitting unexpected. That however, was not the file that actually caused the crash. In all these there was a single file that was involved. That file (csrss.exe) was what caused the kernel to quit unexpectedly.

Csrss.exe is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem; Win32.sys is the kernel-mode portion. Csrss stands for Client/Server Run-Time Subsystem, and is an essential subsystem that must be running at all times. Csrss is responsible for console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and implementing some portions of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.

One note of caution. Csrss.exe can also be a virus. You can determine which by looking at the location of the file. The valid system file should be in C:\window\system32. If you search and find it in a different location chances are it is viral

I would
first run your antivirus application (with current definitions) to eliminate the possibility of infection

Second
I would run a system file check to verify and repair your system files
to run start>type cmd in search>right click and run as admin>sfc /scannow

Let us know the results as you may have to run SFC again

Just to be on the safe side download memtestx86 and run for 5 passes so we can be sure that both the memory is ok and to rule out a possible heat issue

I would also set everything (ram voltage etc) back to default
If you are overclocking stop
if you have a raid update its driver

Ken


Code:
020210-50700-01.dmp    2/2/2010 8:56:28 AM    BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO    0x00000074    00000000`00000002    fffff880`02e76b20    00000000`00000002    ffffffff`c000014d    Ntfs.sys    Ntfs.sys+b7a3                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Crash Dump\020210-50700-01.dmp    8    15    7600    
020210-27378-01.dmp    2/2/2010 10:07:10 AM    CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION    0x000000f4    00000000`00000003    fffffa80`051a26f0    fffffa80`051a29d0    fffff800`02d8c240    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Crash Dump\020210-27378-01.dmp    8    15    7600    
020210-35880-01.dmp    2/2/2010 10:49:36 AM    CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION    0x000000f4    00000000`00000003    fffffa80`09d49b30    fffffa80`09d49e10    fffff800`033d1240    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Crash Dump\020210-35880-01.dmp    8    15    7600    
020210-53586-01.dmp    2/2/2010 2:18:04 PM    CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION    0x000000f4    00000000`00000003    fffffa80`09fbeb30    fffffa80`09fbee10    fffff800`03387240    Ntfs.sys    Ntfs.sys+e54a                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Crash Dump\020210-53586-01.dmp    8    15    7600    
020210-53851-01.dmp    2/2/2010 10:09:24 AM    CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION    0x000000f4    00000000`00000003    fffffa80`0a01bb30    fffffa80`0a01be10    fffff800`033d9240    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Crash Dump\020210-53851-01.dmp    8    15    7600    
020210-55161-01.dmp    2/2/2010 10:52:34 AM    CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION    0x000000f4    00000000`00000003    fffffa80`09ed6b30    fffffa80`09ed6e10    fffff800`03385240    Ntfs.sys    Ntfs.sys+e54a                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Crash Dump\020210-55161-01.dmp    8    15    7600    
020310-28782-01.dmp    2/3/2010 2:05:42 PM    CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION    0x000000f4    00000000`00000003    fffffa80`09bbf060    fffffa80`09bbf340    fffff800`03397240    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Crash Dump\020310-28782-01.dmp    8    15    7600    
020410-58796-01.dmp    2/4/2010 9:33:52 AM    CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION    0x000000f4    00000000`00000003    fffffa80`09f1ab30    fffffa80`09f1ae10    fffff800`033e2240    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Crash Dump\020410-58796-01.dmp    8    15    7600    
020310-59717-01.dmp    2/3/2010 10:28:20 AM    KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR    0x0000007a    fffff6fc`50022470    ffffffff`c000009d    00000000`5c5fc880    fffff8a0`0448e7c6    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Crash Dump\020310-59717-01.dmp    8    15    7600
Analysis
Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.404 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


Loading Dump File [C:\Users\K\Desktop\Crash Dump\020210-53851-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*d:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is: 
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (8 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7600.16385.amd64fre.win7_rtm.090713-1255
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`0305f000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`0329ce50
Debug session time: Tue Feb  2 10:07:42.068 2010 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:05.019
Loading Kernel Symbols
...............................................................
................................................................
..................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
....
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa800a01bb30, fffffa800a01be10, fffff800033d9240}

Probably caused by : csrss.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

4: kd> !analyze -v
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION (f4)
A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been
terminated.
Several processes and threads are necessary for the operation of the
system; when they are terminated (for any reason), the system can no
longer function.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, Process
Arg2: fffffa800a01bb30, Terminating object
Arg3: fffffa800a01be10, Process image file name
Arg4: fffff800033d9240, Explanatory message (ascii)

Debugging Details:
------------------


PROCESS_OBJECT: fffffa800a01bb30

IMAGE_NAME:  csrss.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  0

MODULE_NAME: csrss

FAULTING_MODULE: 0000000000000000 

PROCESS_NAME:  csrss.exe

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced memory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s.

BUGCHECK_STR:  0xF4_C0000005

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff880`021b20e8 fffff800`0345c142 : 00000000`000000f4 00000000`00000003 fffffa80`0a01bb30 fffffa80`0a01be10 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`021b20f0 fffff800`03408269 : ffffffff`ffffffff fffffa80`05463720 fffffa80`0a01bb30 fffffa80`0a01bb30 : nt!PspCatchCriticalBreak+0x92
fffff880`021b2130 fffff800`0338cc74 : ffffffff`ffffffff 00000000`00000001 fffffa80`0a01bb30 fffff6fb`00000008 : nt! ?? ::NNGAKEGL::`string'+0x17a06
fffff880`021b2180 fffff800`030d0153 : fffffa80`0a01bb30 fffff800`c0000005 fffffa80`05463720 fffff880`021b2b78 : nt!NtTerminateProcess+0xf4
fffff880`021b2200 fffff800`030cc6f0 : fffff800`03110ada fffff880`021b2b78 fffff880`021b28d0 fffff880`021b2c20 : nt!KiSystemServiceCopyEnd+0x13
fffff880`021b2398 fffff800`03110ada : fffff880`021b2b78 fffff880`021b28d0 fffff880`021b2c20 00000000`00af2070 : nt!KiServiceLinkage
fffff880`021b23a0 fffff800`030d0542 : fffff880`021b2b78 00000000`000131b0 fffff880`021b2c20 00000000`00af1b48 : nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x4619d
fffff880`021b2a40 fffff800`030cf0ba : 00000000`00000001 00000000`000131b0 00000000`00000001 fffffa80`09ec0570 : nt!KiExceptionDispatch+0xc2
fffff880`021b2c20 00000000`771d59ad : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiPageFault+0x23a
00000000`00af0df0 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 0x771d59ad


STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0xF4_C0000005_IMAGE_csrss.exe

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0xF4_C0000005_IMAGE_csrss.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Thanks ZigZag3143,

I really appreciate your help looking at this. I tried what you said - the virus scan found nothing and the file Csrss.exe was in the right place. So probably not viral.

I ran the SFC - and it came back - "windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations."

I have not tried the Memory Test yet - I will do that then let you know. Thanks!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

New Update - I can no longer boot into Windows 7 - After running MemTestx86, I tired restarting my computer and it would not restart - It would quit after "starting windows" and before login - I ran startup repair and it could not repair my startup and I cannot now get it to restart windows - I fear I will need to reload machine again - for the third time. I am contemplating reloading it in Windows 32bit, but that would be such a shame and I do not know if I can operate videoediting with 3gb of RAM.

I really NEED Help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Can you try running Memtest again? Did it report any errors?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

No error!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #7

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mfourman View Post
New Update - I can no longer boot into Windows 7 - After running MemTestx86, I tired restarting my computer and it would not restart - It would quit after "starting windows" and before login - I ran startup repair and it could not repair my startup and I cannot now get it to restart windows - I fear I will need to reload machine again - for the third time. I am contemplating reloading it in Windows 32bit, but that would be such a shame and I do not know if I can operate videoediting with 3gb of RAM.

I really NEED Help
this all points towards ram issues, and I have been trying to cross reference your ram on the ASUS site and the Kingston site , the Z7S WS Qualified Vendor List(Memory-DDR2 800) from ASUS is very limited Attachment 52115 and using the part number on the Kingston site comes up with nothing as if it doesn't exist

also on Kingston's site I cant find ASUS listed as a manufacturer

this motherboard is essentially a server board and as such it's very likely you are going to have fewer choices in what ram is compatible, the best match i got was crucial and not cheap

it needs to be 1.8v ddr2 Fully buffered , Registered , ECC but does go to 24gb

do you know if your Kingston ram is supposed to be compatible ??

I have found a site that states 12gb of kingston ddr2 6400 runs fine but only with the latest bios ?

what version is your BIOS ?

to add to the list a rough calc on your power useage looks like approaching 600W, so are you confident your PSU is in good condition ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

This is the RAM I am using - Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC Fully Buffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Server Memory Model KVR800D2D8F5/2G - Retail

Kingston claims that this should work on this board LINK


I checked the BIOS and it is the latest version - again I could see no issues with this RAM in Windows XP for 1.5 years. Would it have problems in Windows 7 if I could not see any in Windows XP???

As far as I know my PSU should be fine - again no problems in Windows XP Professional
_____

What about the csrss.exe? Is that still a possibility and if so what else could be done.
____
Currently I am reloading my machine. I really want 64bit - but if it won't work should I try 32bit / what kind of performance hit would I take (except for 3gb ram)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2010   #9

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mfourman View Post
This is the RAM I am using - Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC Fully Buffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Server Memory Model KVR800D2D8F5/2G - Retail

Kingston claims that this should work on this board LINK


I checked the BIOS and it is the latest version - again I could see no issues with this RAM in Windows XP for 1.5 years. Would it have problems in Windows 7 if I could not see any in Windows XP???

As far as I know my PSU should be fine - again no problems in Windows XP Professional
_____

What about the csrss.exe? Is that still a possibility and if so what else could be done.
____
Currently I am reloading my machine. I really want 64bit - but if it won't work should I try 32bit / what kind of performance hit would I take (except for 3gb ram)
VALUE RAM

why buy such an excellent motherboard with two fast CPU's then use value ram ??

the problem with value ram is the fact that they use the cheapest components and in many cases it can be branded ram that has failed tolerance tests

did you buy all of your ram at the same time ??

It also becomes nearly impossible to match the sticks up with others because when each stick is made the component quality is governed by the cost of metals at the time so the same ram made in the same factory two months later will vary in tolerance and invariably does not match up with anything else ..............

I could be wrong here as diagnosing from a distance is never a perfect science but your issues have all pointed at your ram and I rarely build a system using value ram and currently never if it's being built for windows 7 as it stresses and uses ram far more than XP or win2k ever did

can you borrow some branded ram to try on your machine to see if it solves the bluescreens ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Yeah - you are probably right on the value ram. I am placing an order for 8gb of crucial memory (2 dimms) + memory fan, today. Hope that works!! Let me know if you think it could be something else.

I am really desperate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 64 bit - random BSOD




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 64 bit - random BSOD
Thread Forum
Solved Random BSOD Windows 7 x64 BSOD Help and Support
Solved Random BSOD on windows. BSOD Help and Support
random bsod on windows 7 - f4 03 BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD - Windows 7 x64 BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 Random BSOD BSOD Help and Support
Random Windows 7 BSOD BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 64 Bit Random BSOD BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33