Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Are there any tech support people here?


27 Feb 2010   #21

Windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ManOwar2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DUMBARRANGER56 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post

try pulling out anything unessential like any USB devices and extra PCI cards and remove all sticks of RAM leaving only one
OK - so far no problems with 1 stick of RAM (2 GB) but I can't run my programs on less than 8. I guess we will figure out that later.

I have attached the SIW file and ran Windows 7 upgrade adviser - it said everything was fine. I am going to reattach the other hard drives, one at a time and see if they all meet the requirements. THEN I guess I can add RAM one stick at a time. Hopefully I will hear from you guys by then

Have you tried to have only 4 gig in ? Some Mobo will not like having 8 gig, specially if you are connected with a 4-pin mobo header.

What kind of program do you have that require more than 4 gig anyway ? Unless you do profesionnal video editing or heavy graphics programming you should not need 8 gig.
My MOBO can take up to 16 GB of RAM, whichis why I bought it and went with a 64 bit Windows. I do professional film scoring with sampled instruments, 4 GB does not vut it. I was actually planning on buying 2 4 GB sticks in the near future and going up to 12 GB, then, eventually, 16.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Feb 2010   #22

Windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
My 2¢...

Try boosting your MCH Core (in BIOS) from 1.100V to 1.160V. Sometimes Gigabyte MBs don't handle 8gigs of RAM and Windows 7 together well at all... perhaps the way 7 uses RAM is different than XP.

I have a Gigabyte MB too, and I couldn't leave the MCH Core on auto... I'd get BSODs all day.

Thanks - I will try that. I had a Gigabyte MOBO that went bad - whicvhis why I bought this one - and I had 8 GB on the last Giabyte board and had no problems at all. I think one of the RAM modules may have gone bad OR - maybe there is a bad RAM socket on the MOBO?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #23

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DUMBARRANGER56 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
My 2¢...

Try boosting your MCH Core (in BIOS) from 1.100V to 1.160V. Sometimes Gigabyte MBs don't handle 8gigs of RAM and Windows 7 together well at all... perhaps the way 7 uses RAM is different than XP.

I have a Gigabyte MB too, and I couldn't leave the MCH Core on auto... I'd get BSODs all day.

Thanks - I will try that. I had a Gigabyte MOBO that went bad - whicvhis why I bought this one - and I had 8 GB on the last Giabyte board and had no problems at all. I think one of the RAM modules may have gone bad OR - maybe there is a bad RAM socket on the MOBO?
maybe you feel like your getting close to the problem , thinking it's RAM ?

for what it's worth the relationship between motherboard and ram has always at best been fragile until you find the perfect combination ?

each time you add an extra stick the timings and voltages on many motherboards can change slightly, then to quote since windows 95 Microsoft have stated about memory testing programs
Quote:
Defective memory chips may not be detected by memory checking tools. Some memory checking programs are not adequate tests because they do not test RAM in the same way that Windows uses RAM. Most memory checkers use read/write cycles when scanning memory. Since Windows is executing code from memory, it uses execute cycles. Execute cycles are different from read/write cycles and are more vulnerable to parity errors. It is possible for memory checking programs to find parity errors if the memory is extremely faulty.
now that you have windows running can you run through the checks I asked for here and especially upload the html output from SIW so we can help identify exactly your RAM make and model and try help match up to your board ?

In the interim if you fancy looking for bad RAM slot or sticks I get consistent results by burning to CD (using an ISO burner) & running from boot memtest86+ for at least 5 passes and moving the sticks between slots to verify motherboard ram slots work as well as the ram sticks ?

for 4 gig and over maybe also try version 4.0 ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Feb 2010   #24

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DUMBARRANGER56 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ManOwar2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DUMBARRANGER56 View Post

OK - so far no problems with 1 stick of RAM (2 GB) but I can't run my programs on less than 8. I guess we will figure out that later.

I have attached the SIW file and ran Windows 7 upgrade adviser - it said everything was fine. I am going to reattach the other hard drives, one at a time and see if they all meet the requirements. THEN I guess I can add RAM one stick at a time. Hopefully I will hear from you guys by then

Have you tried to have only 4 gig in ? Some Mobo will not like having 8 gig, specially if you are connected with a 4-pin mobo header.

What kind of program do you have that require more than 4 gig anyway ? Unless you do profesionnal video editing or heavy graphics programming you should not need 8 gig.
My MOBO can take up to 16 GB of RAM, whichis why I bought it and went with a 64 bit Windows. I do professional film scoring with sampled instruments, 4 GB does not vut it. I was actually planning on buying 2 4 GB sticks in the near future and going up to 12 GB, then, eventually, 16.
I understand but still, some mobo beyond 4 gig, even thought they support 8 or 16 for mosts, will not work wells.

You may have to follow advice given to you and try differents bios settings to make it work with 8 gig.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #25

Windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DUMBARRANGER56 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
My 2¢...

Try boosting your MCH Core (in BIOS) from 1.100V to 1.160V. Sometimes Gigabyte MBs don't handle 8gigs of RAM and Windows 7 together well at all... perhaps the way 7 uses RAM is different than XP.

I have a Gigabyte MB too, and I couldn't leave the MCH Core on auto... I'd get BSODs all day.

Thanks - I will try that. I had a Gigabyte MOBO that went bad - whicvhis why I bought this one - and I had 8 GB on the last Giabyte board and had no problems at all. I think one of the RAM modules may have gone bad OR - maybe there is a bad RAM socket on the MOBO?
maybe you feel like your getting close to the problem , thinking it's RAM ?

for what it's worth the relationship between motherboard and ram has always at best been fragile until you find the perfect combination ?

each time you add an extra stick the timings and voltages on many motherboards can change slightly, then to quote since windows 95 Microsoft have stated about memory testing programs
Quote:
Defective memory chips may not be detected by memory checking tools. Some memory checking programs are not adequate tests because they do not test RAM in the same way that Windows uses RAM. Most memory checkers use read/write cycles when scanning memory. Since Windows is executing code from memory, it uses execute cycles. Execute cycles are different from read/write cycles and are more vulnerable to parity errors. It is possible for memory checking programs to find parity errors if the memory is extremely faulty.
now that you have windows running can you run through the checks I asked for here and especially upload the html output from SIW so we can help identify exactly your RAM make and model and try help match up to your board ?

In the interim if you fancy looking for bad RAM slot or sticks I get consistent results by burning to CD (using an ISO burner) & running from boot memtest86+ for at least 5 passes and moving the sticks between slots to verify motherboard ram slots work as well as the ram sticks ?

for 4 gig and over maybe also try version 4.0 ?

ONCE AGAIN - I am back to confusion. I DO think we are getting somewhere with the RAM, but I am wondering what happened with the other reports I sent you? I ran SIW and sent you the HTML printout. Did you not get it?

I will send you another version of it because I have added RAM and rerun SIW, but I have to do it from the other computer. I also ran the Windows 7 compatibility and EVERYTHING passed. I will run it again now.

Now - with various RAM, RAM slot configurations - can I put any single RAM stick in any of the 4 slots and expect it to work? also since I have DDR2 - shouldn't they be installed in pairs?.

FINALLY - the last SIW had a line that read " Accuracy of DMI cannot be verified" What does that mean?

I will send the SIW soon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #26

Windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ManOwar2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DUMBARRANGER56 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ManOwar2 View Post


Have you tried to have only 4 gig in ? Some Mobo will not like having 8 gig, specially if you are connected with a 4-pin mobo header.

What kind of program do you have that require more than 4 gig anyway ? Unless you do profesionnal video editing or heavy graphics programming you should not need 8 gig.
My MOBO can take up to 16 GB of RAM, whichis why I bought it and went with a 64 bit Windows. I do professional film scoring with sampled instruments, 4 GB does not vut it. I was actually planning on buying 2 4 GB sticks in the near future and going up to 12 GB, then, eventually, 16.
I understand but still, some mobo beyond 4 gig, even thought they support 8 or 16 for mosts, will not work wells.

You may have to follow advice given to you and try differents bios settings to make it work with 8 gig.


AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I tried to run SIW and every time I tried to save to HTML, nothinghappened.

THen BAM - NO VIDEO AGAIN

what is this all about?????????????

PLEASE HELP BEFORE I GO COMPLETELY NUTS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #27

Windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ManOwar2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DUMBARRANGER56 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ManOwar2 View Post


Have you tried to have only 4 gig in ? Some Mobo will not like having 8 gig, specially if you are connected with a 4-pin mobo header.

What kind of program do you have that require more than 4 gig anyway ? Unless you do profesionnal video editing or heavy graphics programming you should not need 8 gig.
My MOBO can take up to 16 GB of RAM, whichis why I bought it and went with a 64 bit Windows. I do professional film scoring with sampled instruments, 4 GB does not vut it. I was actually planning on buying 2 4 GB sticks in the near future and going up to 12 GB, then, eventually, 16.
I understand but still, some mobo beyond 4 gig, even thought they support 8 or 16 for mosts, will not work wells.

You may have to follow advice given to you and try different bios settings to make it work with 8 gig.
I am attaching the SIW file. I went back to 2 GB or RAM and I do not know how long this will last.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #28

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

I assume you have 4 RAM sticks, each 2 gigs, right? Put 1 stick in the first slot... run it like that for a while (or 'till it crashes). If it doesn't crash, put that stick aside and put another stick in the second slot. Again, run it for a while. If you can get all the way through all four sticks, each in a different slot, and it runs OK, then its probably not a bad stick or a bad RAM slot. If everything checks out OK, then try raising the MCH Core voltage by a single step and put all of the RAM back in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #29

Windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
I assume you have 4 RAM sticks, each 2 gigs, right? Put 1 stick in the first slot... run it like that for a while (or 'till it crashes). If it doesn't crash, put that stick aside and put another stick in the second slot. Again, run it for a while. If you can get all the way through all four sticks, each in a different slot, and it runs OK, then its probably not a bad stick or a bad RAM slot. If everything checks out OK, then try raising the MCH Core voltage by a single step and put all of the RAM back in.
Steve

Thanks - Let me give you this info - I ran MEMTEST on all 4 (separate and 2 at a time) and there were no errors on the RAM. I will do what you suggest on testing each one in a slot.

HOWEVER - I have che3cked the BIOS and I have no way of raising the MCH Core. Can you give me a hint on that? I checked the BIOS but there was nothing there about the MCH core.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #30

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

OK, in your BIOS its called "Northbridge Volt Control". Try changing it from [Normal] to [+0.05]. If it won't accept such a small increase, try [+0.1]. You can raise the voltage up as far as 1.4V which would be [+0.3], just do it in small steps until you reach stability.

PS What type of RAM are you running?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Are there any tech support people here?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Are there any tech support people here?
Thread Forum
Unsolicited tech support System Security
Smoking tech support Chillout Room
Clueless Tech Support? Chillout Room
100 Important Tech Products, Events, and People of 2009 News
No Tech Support for Windows 7? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33