Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: After Partition Changes, 0xc0000225 and cannot boot


06 Mar 2010   #1

windows 7
 
 
After Partition Changes, 0xc0000225 and cannot boot

So i had two partitions on a physical disk, and wanted to delete the first and enlarge the second. I usually use gparted off the ubuntu live cd because it completely separates itself from windows details and allows a lot of disk changes in one interface; no conflicts. I moved forward with my changes and rebooted the computer.

I now find myself standing at this boot screens with error 0xc0000225 and a "corrupt" /boot/bcd file. Googling that information, the first hit was a solution about using gparted and getting this error. I thought perfect, but going through the steps, i still have no resolve. I have now been in and out of every boot problem thread on the internet and cannot figure it out. I have tried:

- windows 7 repair startup tools
- rebuilding the bcd from scratch
- bootrec /fixmbr and /fixboot

When i boot into ubuntu or repair mode, i can browse the file system fine. i can see the /boot files, create a new bcd file, and so on. One thing to mention is every test i have tried yeilds the same consistent error. The error has not changed whatsoever. My assumption is not that the /bcd file is corrupt or configured wrong (as the gparted solution/post suggested), but rather my disk is jacked and it cant find any data.


Any help pls?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Mar 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Try this:
You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.

Startup Repair

System Repair Disc - Create
System Recovery Options
Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2010   #3

windows 7
 
 

done it a 100. No dice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Mar 2010   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Did you try Repair Install.

Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2010   #5

windows 7
 
 

says you need to have the computer booted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2010   #6

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robdog09 View Post
So i had two partitions on a physical disk, and wanted to delete the first and enlarge the second. I usually use gparted off the ubuntu live cd because it completely separates itself from windows details and allows a lot of disk changes in one interface; no conflicts. I moved forward with my changes and rebooted the computer.

I now find myself standing at this boot screens with error 0xc0000225 and a "corrupt" /boot/bcd file. Googling that information, the first hit was a solution about using gparted and getting this error. I thought perfect, but going through the steps, i still have no resolve. I have now been in and out of every boot problem thread on the internet and cannot figure it out. I have tried:

- windows 7 repair startup tools
- rebuilding the bcd from scratch
- bootrec /fixmbr and /fixboot

When i boot into ubuntu or repair mode, i can browse the file system fine. i can see the /boot files, create a new bcd file, and so on. One thing to mention is every test i have tried yeilds the same consistent error. The error has not changed whatsoever. My assumption is not that the /bcd file is corrupt or configured wrong (as the gparted solution/post suggested), but rather my disk is jacked and it cant find any data.

Any help pls?
Hello robdog09, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

We see this situation asked about a lot here, and as you have offered little detail I will have to guess at a few things. Windows allows one partition per hard drive to be flagged "Active". When Windows 7 is installed on a hard drive where another OS is in place, that partition is usually already "Active" and the installer automatically places the boot code in the "Active" partition. When you deleted the partition you deleted the boot code. When you tried to boot to Windows 7, did you mark its partition "Active" with GParted or from the Windows 7 Disk Management utility? The "Startup Repair" cannot repair your BCD Store if it cannot find an "Active" partition with the boot code. You may be able to restore your Windows 7 boot code if you mark the partition "Active" and then run the "Startup Repair" as many as three times.

Alternatively, after marking the 7 partition "Active", you may be able to restore the BCD store with this command:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

after booting to the DVD or "Repair CD" and using the "Command Prompt" option.

If this does not help you, you might consider adding some detail like the OSs, the order of installation, which one you deleted, and anything else that might help us help you. You could also take a screen shot of the GParted drive map from the live CD and attach it to a post here for us to see.

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64/Ubuntu 10.04 x64
 
 
I'm having the same problem

I was simply making a new partition with an outdated partedmagic and i have this error at startup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium x64/Ubuntu 10.04 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sqr47 View Post
I was simply making a new partition with an outdated partedmagic and i have this error at startup
actually i cannot access startup repair at startup, is there any way to do it from a disc or anything like that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2010   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Use your Windows 7 DVD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2010   #10

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sqr47 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sqr47 View Post
I was simply making a new partition with an outdated partedmagic and i have this error at startup
actually i cannot access startup repair at startup, is there any way to do it from a disc or anything like that?
Hello sqr47;

Please check out method two here: System Recovery Options

The free Partition Wizard is an up-to-date partition utility to replace outdated ones. Check it out as well?

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 After Partition Changes, 0xc0000225 and cannot boot




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: After Partition Changes, 0xc0000225 and cannot boot
Thread Forum
Boot error, 0xc0000225 Installation & Setup
Error 0xc0000225, recovery says partition is 0MB, unknown location General Discussion
error 0xc0000225 after easus partition change, win7 won't boot Installation & Setup
Error 0xc0000225 After Partition Changes & Can't Boot Or Repair Yet BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 - Error 0xc0000225 after resizing partition, can't boot BSOD Help and Support
Error 0xc0000225 after resizing partition, can't boot BSOD Help and Support
0xc0000225 boot error after extending partition? Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33