Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD when opening pictures or saving in word/excel

08 Mar 2010   #1
puga855

windows 7 64 bit
 
 
BSOD when opening pictures or saving in word/excel

Hi there, I have been suffering from a repeating crash whenever I save word or excel files or open up pictures. It is the same error popping up over and over again, I ran the mem test 6 times, 5 regular and 1 extended everything checks out. BIOS on mobo has been updated from website, I have no idea what it could be. Please any help is greatly apreciated. Otherwise the computer is working perfectly, no crashes doing anything else. I am running the 64 bit version of windows 7 and have an asus p6t deluxe v2 motherboard.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Mar 2010   #2
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puga855 View Post
Hi there, I have been suffering from a repeating crash whenever I save word or excel files or open up pictures. It is the same error popping up over and over again, I ran the mem test 6 times, 5 regular and 1 extended everything checks out. BIOS on mobo has been updated from website, I have no idea what it could be. Please any help is greatly apreciated. Otherwise the computer is working perfectly, no crashes doing anything else. I am running the 64 bit version of windows 7 and have an asus p6t deluxe v2 motherboard.
your error shows as APC_INDEX_MISMATCH bugcheck 1 which is a rare one ?

this is likely to be a bad driver which if allowed to run could damage your system software environment so the bsod is saving you

do you have any external video devices or specific video\audio equipment with installed software ?

this is an old driver and needs replacing
Quote:
ElRawDsk.sys fffff880`02db4000 fffff880`02dbe000 0x0000a000 0x488b65ed 26/07/2008 17:59:09
this appears to be the process RawDisk Driver. Allows write-access to raw disk sectors for user mode applications in Windows 2000, belongs to the software ElRawDisk by EldoS Corporation ??

which memtest did you run ?

what's your AV and any third party firewall ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #3
puga855

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puga855 View Post
Hi there, I have been suffering from a repeating crash whenever I save word or excel files or open up pictures. It is the same error popping up over and over again, I ran the mem test 6 times, 5 regular and 1 extended everything checks out. BIOS on mobo has been updated from website, I have no idea what it could be. Please any help is greatly apreciated. Otherwise the computer is working perfectly, no crashes doing anything else. I am running the 64 bit version of windows 7 and have an asus p6t deluxe v2 motherboard.
your error shows as APC_INDEX_MISMATCH bugcheck 1 which is a rare one ?

this is likely to be a bad driver which if allowed to run could damage your system software environment so the bsod is saving you

do you have any external video devices or specific video\audio equipment with installed software ?

this is an old driver and needs replacing
Quote:
ElRawDsk.sys fffff880`02db4000 fffff880`02dbe000 0x0000a000 0x488b65ed 26/07/2008 17:59:09
this appears to be the process RawDisk Driver. Allows write-access to raw disk sectors for user mode applications in Windows 2000, belongs to the software ElRawDisk by EldoS Corporation ??

which memtest did you run ?

what's your AV and any third party firewall ?

I ran the windows mem test and my firewall and antivirus are both from iolo, its system mechanic professional.

As to what you found, I have an old cd drive, could that be the problem?


EDIT: I deleted elrawdysk.sys from the registry and system files. I looked around and it looks like it could be my external hard drive from western digital. My external harddrive is a MyBook Essential 2.0. I hope this fixed the problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Mar 2010   #4
puga855

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

any other suggestions?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #5
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puga855 View Post
any other suggestions?
for testing purposes unninstall "iolo" completely firewall and AV then install MSE for your AV and use windows firewall then post your next .dmp if you get any ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #6
puga855

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Thank you very much for the help ickymay, I have spent a good 3 hours going through family pictures and saving documents and I no longer get any problems whatsoever. I still can't believe the cause of the problem was system mechanic professional, SM uses the old ElRawDsk.sys for hard drive defrag and I also think for the repairs and this is apparently not compatible with windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #7
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puga855 View Post
Thank you very much for the help ickymay, I have spent a good 3 hours going through family pictures and saving documents and I no longer get any problems whatsoever. I still can't believe the cause of the problem was system mechanic professional, SM uses the old ElRawDsk.sys for hard drive defrag and I also think for the repairs and this is apparently not compatible with windows 7.
great to hear hope it remains solved
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD when opening pictures or saving in word/excel




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD when opening programs or saving data
Hi guys, Having massive problems with the dreaded BSOD making my computer almost unusable. The system either crashes when I attempt to load any program or if it loads the program it runs very slowly and eventually hangs and crashes. I've run the SF_Diagnostic tool and have attached the...
BSOD Help and Support
Saving in word but files are not saving
I open a file sent to me in email, click enable editing, work on it for three hours, hitting save all the while, then go to email it back and the file is gone. It isn't in my documents where I saved it, and it isn't under recent files. Please please please help me. I am sure you can relate to...
Microsoft Office
BSOD when saving Word 2010 files - 0x0000007e - mup.sys - Win7 64bit
Hello, First posting. Any help with this would be appreciated. Machine/System spec: CPU Type HexaCore Intel Xeon X5660, 2800 MHz (21 x 133) Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard HP Z800 Workstation Motherboard Chipset Intel Tylersburg 5520, Intel Westmere System Memory 6128 MB (DDR3 SDRAM)...
BSOD Help and Support
Office 2010 runs product configuration when opening Word and Excel
Just started using a new workstation with Office 2010 installed by OEM. Everything worked fine for a few days, and then every time i attempt to open a Word file or Excel file i get the MS Office dialog box that states "please wait while windows configures Microsoft Office 2010". The dialog box...
Microsoft Office
Error when opening Excel or Word doc (Office 07)
I've done a bunch of searching on these forums (and elsewhere) and found a few suggestions on how to fix this error, but I can't seem to find a solution that works. I just upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit) and I installed Office 2007. The programs themselves work fine - but whenever I click on...
Microsoft Office
Word, Excel, Powerpoint reconfigure on opening
I had this issue when I first installed the 2010 beta last year. I can't remember how I fixed it. It has been running fine until a couple weeks ago. Every time I open a word, excel or powerpoint file, the windows installer reconfigures like it's reinstalling or something. Just clicking the...
Microsoft Office

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App