Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Windows 7 - Stuck on "Shutting Down".

13 Mar 2010   #1

Windows 7, OS X
 
 
Windows 7 - Stuck on "Shutting Down".

Hi,

I have read the other posts regarding this issue, however, nothing seems to have helped.

I am using boot camp on my Aluminum Macbook running Windows 7. Whenever I need to shut down or restart, the computer hangs on "shutting down" endlessly. The only way to shut down is a force shut down.

I have tried booting into safe mode and testing if shut down works. No problems there.

I then read a fix which said to try a clean boot, which I did too, but the problem persists.

I don't know what to test/do next. Does anyone have the same problem or know of a solution? I need to install a program which requires a soft restart (without force shutting down).

Thanks!
Adam.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by shmootz View Post
Hi,

I have read the other posts regarding this issue, however, nothing seems to have helped.

I am using boot camp on my Aluminum Macbook running Windows 7. Whenever I need to shut down or restart, the computer hangs on "shutting down" endlessly. The only way to shut down is a force shut down.

I have tried booting into safe mode and testing if shut down works. No problems there.

I then read a fix which said to try a clean boot, which I did too, but the problem persists.

I don't know what to test/do next. Does anyone have the same problem or know of a solution? I need to install a program which requires a soft restart (without force shutting down).

Thanks!
Adam.
Adam

I dont know how much help you are going to get. I wonder if some services are not shutting down in win 7. if that is the case win 7 will never shut down.

Suggest you look in Event viewer (type eventvwr in search) go to the windows log>application tab and look for critical errors. They have red in the left hand column. Look for errors that contain app hang, app crash, etc.

When you find them note the event ID and source codes and let us know what they are.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #3

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Mar 2010   #4

Windows 7, OS X
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by shmootz View Post
Hi,

I have read the other posts regarding this issue, however, nothing seems to have helped.

I am using boot camp on my Aluminum Macbook running Windows 7. Whenever I need to shut down or restart, the computer hangs on "shutting down" endlessly. The only way to shut down is a force shut down.

I have tried booting into safe mode and testing if shut down works. No problems there.

I then read a fix which said to try a clean boot, which I did too, but the problem persists.

I don't know what to test/do next. Does anyone have the same problem or know of a solution? I need to install a program which requires a soft restart (without force shutting down).

Thanks!
Adam.
Adam

I dont know how much help you are going to get. I wonder if some services are not shutting down in win 7. if that is the case win 7 will never shut down.

Suggest you look in Event viewer (type eventvwr in search) go to the windows log>application tab and look for critical errors. They have red in the left hand column. Look for errors that contain app hang, app crash, etc.

When you find them note the event ID and source codes and let us know what they are.

Ken
Thanks. Here are the results I got for Application Hang errors (I did not see Application Crash errors anywhere, although there were a lot of Application Errors). I selected all the App Hang errors and chose "Copy details as text". I hope it is not too much information.:

Code:
 
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 14/11/2009 6:46:57 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: shmootzPC
Description:
The program nvuninst.exe version 1.9.38.16 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: e8c
Start Time: 01ca64fe7aa44080
Termination Time: 0
Application Path: C:\Windows\system32\nvuninst.exe
Report Id: cc262041-d0f1-11de-aea1-00236ca15b0f
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-14T07:46:57.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1452</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>shmootzPC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>nvuninst.exe</Data>
<Data>1.9.38.16</Data>
<Data>e8c</Data>
<Data>01ca64fe7aa44080</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\system32\nvuninst.exe</Data>
<Data>cc262041-d0f1-11de-aea1-00236ca15b0f</Data>
<Binary>430072006F00730073002D00700072006F00630065007300730000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 11/03/2010 6:15:02 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: shmootzPC
Description:
The program Cyder2.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 10c4
Start Time: 01cac0e9e013291c
Termination Time: 13
Application Path: G:\Users\adamstone\Windows 7\Program Files\Cyder2-0.1-RC2\Cyder2\Cyder2.exe
Report Id: cb90124d-2cdd-11df-806c-00236ca15b0f
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-03-11T07:15:02.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>2433</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>shmootzPC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Cyder2.exe</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>10c4</Data>
<Data>01cac0e9e013291c</Data>
<Data>13</Data>
<Data>G:\Users\adamstone\Windows 7\Program Files\Cyder2-0.1-RC2\Cyder2\Cyder2.exe</Data>
<Data>cb90124d-2cdd-11df-806c-00236ca15b0f</Data>
<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 11/03/2010 6:09:07 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: shmootzPC
Description:
The program Cyder2.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 104c
Start Time: 01cac0e4a8002a20
Termination Time: 22
Application Path: G:\Users\adamstone\Windows 7\Program Files\Cyder2-0.1-RC2\Cyder2\Cyder2.exe
Report Id: f3aac0fd-2cdc-11df-806c-00236ca15b0f
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-03-11T07:09:07.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>2430</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>shmootzPC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Cyder2.exe</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>104c</Data>
<Data>01cac0e4a8002a20</Data>
<Data>22</Data>
<Data>G:\Users\adamstone\Windows 7\Program Files\Cyder2-0.1-RC2\Cyder2\Cyder2.exe</Data>
<Data>f3aac0fd-2cdc-11df-806c-00236ca15b0f</Data>
<Binary>430072006F00730073002D00700072006F00630065007300730000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 10/03/2010 11:19:35 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: shmootzPC
Description:
The program DAP.exe version 9.3.0.5 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 7e4
Start Time: 01cac04b55012445
Termination Time: 2157
Application Path: \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Macintosh HD\Users\adamstone\Windows 7\Program Files\DAP\DAP.exe
Report Id: 26bee317-2c3f-11df-814e-000c2971bc16
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-03-10T12:19:35.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>2344</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>shmootzPC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>DAP.exe</Data>
<Data>9.3.0.5</Data>
<Data>7e4</Data>
<Data>01cac04b55012445</Data>
<Data>2157</Data>
<Data>\\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Macintosh HD\Users\adamstone\Windows 7\Program Files\DAP\DAP.exe</Data>
<Data>26bee317-2c3f-11df-814e-000c2971bc16</Data>
<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #5

Windows 7, OS X
 
 

I looked at that, but on the Microsoft page it says something about receiving errors, where as I get no error message.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #6

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

The one thing that stands out in your list of errors is Cyder2-0.1-RC2. I have no idea of what it is for, but the repetition and the fact that it is a RC would make it highly suspect.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #7
Microsoft MVP

 

Yes, uninstall that Cyder 2.0 program or app -whatever it is.

Also, turn off any Nvidia services installed with your driver as they are unneeded to run unless you use special video controls. In msconfig>Startup hover mouse over each entry to look for the presence of NV and uncheck it. There are normally 3 set to startup with Windows on each Nvidia graphics driver install.

Also look in Services list for Nvidia service and disable or set to manual. This leaves only the driver and none of the unneeded services, one of which is hanging your System.

To see the Performance>Diagnostics log which will reveal what else is hanging your shutdown, click on the WEI score link at Computer>Properties, select Advanced Tools and look at the Performance log.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #8

Windows 7, OS X
 
 

Cyder 2 is a program for installing Cydia (jailbreak 'store') apps to iPhones through USB. It is only a .exe program that runs when I click on the .exe file. Should I still delete this?

Also, I looked in the msconfig startup tab, and there was nothing there regarding NV or Nvidia. In the Services list, I disabled one Nvidia property.

Thanks!
Adam
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #9

Windows 7, OS X
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by shmootz View Post
In the Services list, I disabled one Nvidia property.
This seemed to have worked. Your help is really appreciated. Are there any limitations on disabling the "Nvidia Display Driver Service" from the services tab of msconfig?

Adam.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #10

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

shmootz,

Quote:
Cyder 2 is a program for installing Cydia (jailbreak 'store') apps to iPhones through USB. It is only a .exe program that runs when I click on the .exe file. Should I still delete this?
Only you can answer that question. Does it ever hang on shutdown, now with the Nvidia services disabled? It is obvious from the Event Viewer errors that the app does sometimes hang, but only you can know how consistent that problem is vs how important it's function is to you. You say that it only functions when you manually select it, but have you checked the Task Manager to insure that it's exe is not listed otherwise? It is possible for an exe to remain in the Task Manager even after closing the program that it belongs to. Whether that "dead" exe would cause a shutdown hang, would have to be determined by trial and error. Whatever the case is, I would make sure that it does not run on boot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 - Stuck on "Shutting Down".





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33