Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Bad RAM? Passes memtest

21 Mar 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Bad RAM? Passes memtest

Hi i've been fighting TDRs and BSODs since building my machine(see system specs) in Oct 09. After RMAing my vid card to no avail, replacing mobo to no avail, replacing PSU to no avail. I've been at my wit's end.

I've ran memtest on each individual stick for over 10passes each with no errors. One strange thing i noticed....

About 2 months ago, I left town, and left my PC off for about 3 or 4 days. When I got home and turned it on, I got repeated BSODs which were things like MEMORY MANAGEMENT and PFN LIST CORRUPT. But they eventually went away after a day or so.

I just got home today after being out of town for 5 days. What do ya know, same thing. Multiple BSODs. I will post my minidumps if someone would please analyze them.

Also I'm using the MSI mobo this time around, and before Windows booted the first time I powered it on, I got an error that read "RAM R/W test failed".

Also you could find more info on my other post: GTX260 Video Artifacting/BSODs

THanks in advance!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Mar 2010   #2

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shook View Post
Hi i've been fighting TDRs and BSODs since building my machine(see system specs) in Oct 09. After RMAing my vid card to no avail, replacing mobo to no avail, replacing PSU to no avail. I've been at my wit's end.

I've ran memtest on each individual stick for over 10passes each with no errors. One strange thing i noticed....

About 2 months ago, I left town, and left my PC off for about 3 or 4 days. When I got home and turned it on, I got repeated BSODs which were things like MEMORY MANAGEMENT and PFN LIST CORRUPT. But they eventually went away after a day or so.

I just got home today after being out of town for 5 days. What do ya know, same thing. Multiple BSODs. I will post my minidumps if someone would please analyze them.

Also you could find more info on my other post: GTX260 Video Artifacting/BSODs

THanks in advance!
Have you checked your CMOS battery?

When things happen while the computer is off it's usually the battery gone dead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post

Have you checked your CMOS battery?

When things happen while the computer is off it's usually the battery gone dead.
The same thing has happened on 2 different motherboards, the GIGABYTE being a few months old and the MSI being less than 30 days old. So no I havn't checked it, but highly doubt that 1 of them, let alone both are bad.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Mar 2010   #4

Windows 7 Professional 64
 
 

Hi,
After replacing all of that ( I read most of your previous thread ) the one common denominator is your memory.

With that said, let's try something:
As you have already done before, put this timing 8-8-8-21 in manually ( manufacturer's timing ) or XMP if you like.
Now in your BIOS there should be a QPI/ Uncore Voltage override, since you have an AMD I don't know your default uncore voltage. What is the current voltage for uncore?
Let's say for an "example" the default is 1.15V, increase this to 1.16V, save and exit/test.

What the above does, is give a very slight voltage increase to the memory controller to stabilize the ram.

If this doesn't work, it seems you have a bad stick in that pair, checking newegg's customer reviews, confirms my suspicion of this.

*Checking some other sources: That ram is flaky to say the least, lot's of problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #5

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shook View Post
Hi i've been fighting TDRs and BSODs since building my machine(see system specs) in Oct 09. After RMAing my vid card to no avail, replacing mobo to no avail, replacing PSU to no avail. I've been at my wit's end.

I've ran memtest on each individual stick for over 10passes each with no errors. One strange thing i noticed....

About 2 months ago, I left town, and left my PC off for about 3 or 4 days. When I got home and turned it on, I got repeated BSODs which were things like MEMORY MANAGEMENT and PFN LIST CORRUPT. But they eventually went away after a day or so.

I just got home today after being out of town for 5 days. What do ya know, same thing. Multiple BSODs. I will post my minidumps if someone would please analyze them.

Also you could find more info on my other post: GTX260 Video Artifacting/BSODs

THanks in advance!
Have you checked your CMOS battery?

When things happen while the computer is off it's usually the battery gone dead.
Well hate to say it but they are still pointing to memoryl

You know what to do, let us know if you need help


Ken


Code:
032110-10593-01.dmp    3/21/2010 9:44:28 PM    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED    0x0000001e    ffffffff`c0000005    fffff800`02ad6f56    00000000`00000000    ffffffff`ffffffff    Ntfs.sys    Ntfs.sys+bd701                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Minidumps\032110-10593-01.dmp    4    15    7600    
032110-10937-01.dmp    3/21/2010 8:40:18 PM    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT    0x0000001a    00000000`00041790    fffffa80`01264830    00000000`0000ffff    00000000`00000000    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Minidumps\032110-10937-01.dmp    4    15    7600    
032110-11187-01.dmp    3/21/2010 9:58:44 PM    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT    0x0000001a    00000000`00041284    00000000`02797001    00000000`000004ef    fffff700`01080000    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Minidumps\032110-11187-01.dmp    4    15    7600    
032110-11656-01.dmp    3/21/2010 7:27:14 PM    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT    0x0000001a    00000000`00041284    fffff706`3fbf7001    00000000`00061341    fffff700`01080000    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Minidumps\032110-11656-01.dmp    4    15    7600    
032110-13781-01.dmp    3/21/2010 6:24:22 PM    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT    0x0000001a    00000000`0000888a    fffff8a0`0689d240    fffff8a0`068dd4db    fffffa80`011d8fd0    Ntfs.sys    Ntfs.sys+d4d0                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Minidumps\032110-13781-01.dmp    4    15    7600    
032110-15734-01.dmp    3/21/2010 6:53:46 PM    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT    0x0000001a    00000000`00008886    fffffa80`032e84e0    fffffa80`032e7190    00000000`00000405    ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+71f00                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Minidumps\032110-15734-01.dmp    4    15    7600    
032110-11328-01.dmp    3/21/2010 9:37:36 PM    NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM    0x00000024    00000000`001904fb    fffff880`05f48618    fffff880`05f47e70    fffff800`02ae9472    Ntfs.sys    Ntfs.sys+213d8                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Minidumps\032110-11328-01.dmp    4    15    7600    
032110-11968-01.dmp    3/21/2010 6:12:46 PM    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION    0x0000003b    00000000`c0000005    fffff800`02badf8c    fffff880`062a5fc0    00000000`00000000    Ntfs.sys    Ntfs.sys+18059                    x64        C:\Users\K\Desktop\Minidumps\032110-11968-01.dmp    4    15    7600
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sanvean View Post
Hi,
After replacing all of that ( I read most of your previous thread ) the one common denominator is your memory.

With that said, let's try something:
As you have already done before, put this timing 8-8-8-21 in manually ( manufacturer's timing ) or XMP if you like.
Now in your BIOS there should be a QPI/ Uncore Voltage override, since you have an AMD I don't know your default uncore voltage. What is the current voltage for uncore?
Let's say for an "example" the default is 1.15V, increase this to 1.16V, save and exit/test.

What the above does, is give a very slight voltage increase to the memory controller to stabilize the ram.

If this doesn't work, it seems you have a bad stick in that pair, checking newegg's customer reviews, confirms my suspicion of this.

*Checking some other sources: That ram is flaky to say the least, lot's of problems.
Well I'm running the MSI board currently, and the BIOS ram config is very confusing to say the least. I manually have the timings at 8-8-8-21 30 2T

Ram voltage for my sticks should be anywhere from 1.5V to 1.6V according to G.Skill. I have had then anywhere from 1.49V to 1.61V with basically the same outcome.


I guess now my question is... What is some good DDR3 Memory? I will return my MSI board soon and go back to using my GIGABYTE in my system specs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

If you check out the Supported RAM on GA-MA790GPT-UD3H (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification

Could anyone make a suggestion?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #8

 
 

Corsair, Kingston, OCZ and Patriots enjoy a good reputation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks smarteyeball, figured so. Now just finding one of those kits from the list that are available.

Anyone have any input on why my computer BSODs so much after being left off for 4 or 5 days then powered back on?

Today I havnt got a BSOD but instead see just the symptoms of the TDRs and program crashes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #10

 
 

TBH, the lack of usage could just simply be a coincidence.

It's hard to say since you've replaced pretty much the entire PC which has already eliminated quite a few potential suspects

As for narrowing down the kits:

Do you plan to overclock?

If yes, go for a kit in the 1600mhz range and above. If not, then stick to 1333mhz

Once you decide on that, try to aim for a kit with lowest Cas latency.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Bad RAM? Passes memtest





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Bad RAM? Passes memtest
Thread Forum
U.S. House passes CISPA ;( News
Father of Commodore 64 Passes Away at Age 83 Chillout Room
Multiple BSOD, Different Every Time. Memtest Passes. BSOD Help and Support
Solved can ram be bad even though it passes all tests Performance & Maintenance
BSOD even after reinstall, yet passes Prime95, Memtest etc. BSOD Help and Support
Memtest Passes Performance & Maintenance
So as time passes by... System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33