Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: windows 7 slowing down to zero

11 Apr 2010   #1
tikra

windows 7
 
 
windows 7 slowing down to zero

Guys, my 7 version slows down to zero. Nothing happens - looks like the computer hibernate ... than after a minute or even longer all functions are back and the computer runs perfectly. I had this problem als with my quad processor so I changed everything but I am afraid I should have easily reoinstall everything and save the money fort the new parts?! :-(
Any ideas leading to solve the problem?

thanks in advance
cheers


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Apr 2010   #2
tallguy050650

 

You say you changed everything. Did you change the PSU because this sounds like a hardware issue. Over time the PSU gets a build up of crap and will eventually fail. Failing that, what make of main board is it as I have had problems with Asrock?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #3
YakSipper

Win7
 
 

Uninstall the antivirus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Apr 2010   #4
tikra

windows 7
 
 
slowing down win7

Guys,

i have an ASUS P7P55D and an i7 processor. Norton Antivirus - can this the reason be?

thanks already for more ideas ....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #5
YakSipper

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tikra View Post
Guys,

i have an ASUS P7P55D and an i7 processor. Norton Antivirus - can this the reason be?

thanks already for more ideas ....
For sure? no
Great chance? yes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #6
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tikra View Post
Guys,

i have an ASUS P7P55D and an i7 processor. Norton Antivirus - can this the reason be?

thanks already for more ideas ....
Do youreself the biggest favour of your computing life, my friend...

Lose Norton... all of it... from your system.

Just by uninstalling that I can pretty much guarantee you a significant boost in performance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #7
tikra

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tikra View Post
Guys,

i have an ASUS P7P55D and an i7 processor. Norton Antivirus - can this the reason be?

thanks already for more ideas ....
Do youreself the biggest favour of your computing life, my friend...

Lose Norton... all of it... from your system.

Just by uninstalling that I can pretty much guarantee you a significant boost in performance.
Guys

and how do I have to protect my computer?

cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #8
Capt.Jack Sparrow

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Hello Tikra, Welcome to SF !!

Norton used to created lot of problems. The best AV i would recommend would be Microsoft Security Essesntials its free and really good. You could also download Malwarebytes for added protection

Hope this helps,
Captain
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #9
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tikra View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tikra View Post
Guys,

i have an ASUS P7P55D and an i7 processor. Norton Antivirus - can this the reason be?

thanks already for more ideas ....
Do youreself the biggest favour of your computing life, my friend...

Lose Norton... all of it... from your system.

Just by uninstalling that I can pretty much guarantee you a significant boost in performance.
Guys

and how do I have to protect my computer?

cheers
There are plenty of free AV programs out there... I prefer A-Squared others like AVAST... and there's more.

You don't need firewalls, windows includes a perfectly good one and almost every router and modem made today include hardware firewalls...

Believe me there's nothing Norton can do for you that can't be replaced with better and often free code. Moreover, if you aren't blindly opening attachments or running every EXE file that comes your way, the risk of actually getting virused up is very low...

I've been running my systems (and there are 8 on this lan) with firewalls off, no background AV software and no spyware tools for something like 9 years now... and not one of these machines has ever been virused...

90% of the protection you need is built right in between your ears... good old common sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 windows 7 slowing down to zero




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Error Message is slowing down Windows
This error message has been giving be trouble. http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/dbtmellis/errormessage_zps1391be82.png At first, I thought my video card was going bad. So I replaced it. I am now running an ATI Raedon HD 5450, with 1GB of Memory on it. I don't remember the old card,...
Graphic Cards
windows 7 update slowing me down
I just bought this new HP laptop on Monday. It runs 4GB of RAM, has a 500GB SATA harddrive and runs in full vivid HD and for the first 2 days it was running seemlessly and super fast and then I was powering down and it installed a 46 item update and since installing that windows 7 update my...
Windows Updates & Activation
MSE slowing down windows start up
Hi In action center under advanced tools i am getting a caution message saying MSE is slowing down windows start up do i want to stop this service at start up.Has any one else come accross this and if so is there a fix. thankyou
System Security
HD Video on my TV slowing down with Windows 7
Hey All. I have a ATI HD Radeon 4600 with two DVI exit that I use as the following : - The first one is connected to my IIyama screen (with a VGA adaptater) - The second one is connected to my Samsung TV 1080p 42 inches with a DVI/VGA cable. I mainly use my TV to look at 1080p movies I have...
General Discussion
Windows 7 slowing down tremendously
I have this funny situation. Got a new Zotac G41 Value motherboard. Put in 1GB of 667MHz RAM and a Dual Core E2180 processor, 2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB with 1MB cache. Installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Ran fine. Then I upgraded to a E7500 processor, 2.93 GHz, 1066MHz FSB with 3MB cache. Still with 1GB of...
Performance & Maintenance
Hard drive slowing down windows 7??
My custom build computer seems to boot/run/shutdown quite slow. I have a 2.9 GHz dual core AMD running with 8Gb of Ram. (See System Specs under my post) The performance index within windows indicates that the hard drive has the lowest number, a 4.5. The hard drive is a previously used 200Gb...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:10.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App