Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: system hanging before windows boots, unless...


19 May 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 
system hanging before windows boots, unless...

I have a really strange problem that I've managed to narrow down fairly specifically. I pray someone here might have a good idea. Basically, I bought a new Gateway system, and made some changes. I decided to put in an additional hard disk, connected directly to the MOBO and install Windows 7 ultimate on that one, allowing me to preserve the Windows 7 home that came installed on the supplied drive. I went into BIOS and made the correct tweaks I believe, but I'm left with a hanging system after it boots up.

I've narrowed it down to this: if I press [DEL] to go into BIOS and [save and exit], the machine boots and then where the machine normally hangs, it follows with an opportunity to [Ctr-P] to get into the Intel Management Engine BIOS, and then boots to Windows as it should. So it hangs in between those BIOS's unless I first [save and exit] the first BIOS.

Obviously Gateway's tech support is less than worthless, especially since I committed the cardinal sin of deigning to make changes to the system.

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and ping their brain cells for solutions!
-John

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 May 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Hello !!

According to what you said it quiet clear that it might be the BIOS. Try to update the BIOS Firmware and see if that fixes the problem. Also try to reset the defaults and see if that makes any difference.

- Captain
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
Hello !!

According to what you said it quiet clear that it might be the BIOS. Try to update the BIOS Firmware and see if that fixes the problem. Also try to reset the defaults and see if that makes any difference.

- Captain
Resetting to defaults was the first thing I tried and it did lead to Windows 7 starting, but subsequent boots failed (status quo on problem). I also restored the original configuration, removing the extra disk and attempting to boot with the Gateway supplied disk/OS, but the result was the same.

Updating the BIOS firmware sounds like a good idea, but I have concerns about it. First, it's a brand new computer. Wouldn't Gateway put their newest/best BIOS in it? Maybe not.

It turns out to be difficult to find the right information to update firmware anyway. Eyeballing the MOBO for identification purposes yielded I believe:

MOBO: MBGAH09001953008E6EK00

I found from boot screen:

AMI BIOS version: P01-A2 12/14/2009 exclusive for Gateway
64-0100-000001-00101111-121409-LfdHvdImc-9A2A1007-Y2KC

I looked for AMI codes and supposedly the 3rd part of that tells you the mobo manufacturer, but all the codes I see are only 4 numbers.

"Let's show you an example of an AMI BIOS id:
51-0102-1101-00111111-101094-AMIS123-P
To find your motherboard manfacturer, please look at the third (3) set of numbers in your BIOS string. Find the corresponding numbers in your BIOS string and match them with the numbers below.
This BIOS string would indicate SUNLOGIX INC."

So basically I don't know how to go about changing the BIOS... Thanks a lot, and if you know how to update my BIOS please let me know!

Also, additional ideas still welcomed!
-John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 May 2010   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by L0stKeys View Post
I have a really strange problem that I've managed to narrow down fairly specifically. I pray someone here might have a good idea. Basically, I bought a new Gateway system, and made some changes. I decided to put in an additional hard disk, connected directly to the MOBO and install Windows 7 ultimate on that one, allowing me to preserve the Windows 7 home that came installed on the supplied drive. I went into BIOS and made the correct tweaks I believe, but I'm left with a hanging system after it boots up.

I've narrowed it down to this: if I press [DEL] to go into BIOS and [save and exit], the machine boots and then where the machine normally hangs, it follows with an opportunity to [Ctr-P] to get into the Intel Management Engine BIOS, and then boots to Windows as it should. So it hangs in between those BIOS's unless I first [save and exit] the first BIOS.

Obviously Gateway's tech support is less than worthless, especially since I committed the cardinal sin of deigning to make changes to the system.

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and ping their brain cells for solutions!
-John
Are you dual booting with a menu?

can you change the hardware location of the drive (Ie move it to sata3)?

if y ou safe boot what happens?

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I've managed to fix this issue, so this is a report.

I did reorder the SATA locations on the mobo to closer reflect the way that Gateway did it:
1 and 2 for a new SSD to boot from (with a Casper image of previous C drive) and a spinner.
3 and 4 were for temporary disks with cables connected to front bays - I filled one with another spinner.
5 and 6 for BD, DVD.

These changes were not enough to get it running smoothly however. It still moved very slowly with anomalies in the boot process if it got there at all. It seems like it helped for me to hit the keyboard :/ as if I were walking it through frame by frame of a video. I learned that not having turned on one of my external drives (that by the way was in an enclosure, not a self-contained drive) apparently took a load off its back. It will now boot with that drive turned on (though it still slows POST intolerably).

Thanks for the help and good luck to anyone who messes with a Gateway FX6831-03 !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2010   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by L0stKeys View Post
I've managed to fix this issue, so this is a report.

I did reorder the SATA locations on the mobo to closer reflect the way that Gateway did it:
1 and 2 for a new SSD to boot from (with a Casper image of previous C drive) and a spinner.
3 and 4 were for temporary disks with cables connected to front bays - I filled one with another spinner.
5 and 6 for BD, DVD.

These changes were not enough to get it running smoothly however. It still moved very slowly with anomalies in the boot process if it got there at all. It seems like it helped for me to hit the keyboard :/ as if I were walking it through frame by frame of a video. I learned that not having turned on one of my external drives (that by the way was in an enclosure, not a self-contained drive) apparently took a load off its back. It will now boot with that drive turned on (though it still slows POST intolerably).

Thanks for the help and good luck to anyone who messes with a Gateway FX6831-03 !
Thanks for the fix

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 system hanging before windows boots, unless...




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: system hanging before windows boots, unless...
Thread Forum
Random system hanging Performance & Maintenance
BSOD & system hanging BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 always boots into System Recovery Options Backup and Restore
system hanging before windows boots, unless... Network & Sharing
RAM Trouble - System Hanging Performance & Maintenance
My WinDev development system is hanging BSOD Help and Support
System keeps hanging when playing music Sound & Audio

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33