Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: [Help]Memory Leak. All memory drained and used

24 May 2010   #1
cinos11

Windows 7 Professional
 
 
[Help]Memory Leak. All memory drained and used

Today, my computer decided for some reason to start hogging all the memory.
The memory slowly goes up after around 3:30 minutes of being open.
CPU usage is at regular.

I have tried many things to fiqure out the problem.
Not even safe mode works.
Also it's very weird because i have 6gb of memory and its on max used.
Even disabling the internet doesn't change a thing.


Please help find the soulution.
There is nothing right now that will make it go down.
I have uploaded a picture showing how the memory goes up.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 May 2010   #2
usasma
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Please open up Task Manager to the Processes tab
Click on the "Memory (Private Working Set)" column header (to sort that column).
What is the Image name of the top user of memory (and is it much greater than the other entries)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2010   #3
cinos11

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
Please open up Task Manager to the Processes tab
Click on the "Memory (Private Working Set)" column header (to sort that column).
What is the Image name of the top user of memory (and is it much greater than the other entries)?
Currently its firefox, digsby, then skype.
But those aren't the reasons it goes up, as when they aren't open my memory still maxes out.
I've still narrowed it down using the Resource Monitor that what is causing it is "svchost.exe (secsvc)" if i end the process the memory drops back to normal then goes back up. The 2nd~3rd time i end it then the process will no longer come back up.

Do you know why this process is causing this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 May 2010   #4
usasma
Microsoft MVP

 
 

I don't know, but one possibility is an infection. AFAIK there's no "secsvc" in Windows - although there is a "secsvcs" - that's the service name for Windows Defender when running under svchost.exe

Download and install this free program from Microsoft: Process Explorer
Locate the PID of the svchost.exe process that's sucking up all the memory (in your Resource Monitor)

Then open up the new program (named Process Explorer) and hover the mouse over the instance of svchost.exe with the same PID. Let us know what it says.

Then, right click on the svchost.exe process and select Properties.
Then select the Threads tab
In the Threads tab, let us know the Start Address (everything before the !) for anything that shows a number under Cycles Delta
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2010   #5
cinos11

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
I don't know, but one possibility is an infection. AFAIK there's no "secsvc" in Windows - although there is a "secsvcs" - that's the service name for Windows Defender when running under svchost.exe

Download and install this free program from Microsoft: Process Explorer
Locate the PID of the svchost.exe process that's sucking up all the memory (in your Resource Monitor)

Then open up the new program (named Process Explorer) and hover the mouse over the instance of svchost.exe with the same PID. Let us know what it says.

Then, right click on the svchost.exe process and select Properties.
Then select the Threads tab
In the Threads tab, let us know the Start Address (everything before the !) for anything that shows a number under Cycles Delta
Yes, i meant secsvcs.
It's the same in the picture provided and here the things requested:
As for the svchost.exe which is svshost.exe (Secsvcs)
i don't know which to choose, as there is multiple svchost's
which should i choose for properties?


EDIT: okay i found the correct svshost for the thing you requested:
Under cswitch Delta there is:

The start address says ntdll.dll which is before the !
that same dll shows for everything except for one that says 0x0
only a few CSwitch Delta's randomly shows numbers if that helps any also.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2010   #6
usasma
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Can you post a screenshot of the one that says 0x0?

If that doesn't suggest something to me, then we'll have to try a different way of isolating the problem.

Please run a couple of the scans at this page to ensure that your current protection hasn't been hijacked: Malware (read the details at the link)

If that rules out an infection, then we'll have to start with clean boot troubleshooting: How to Troubleshoot a Problem by Performing a Clean Startup in Windows 7 or Vista
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2010   #7
cinos11

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
Can you post a screenshot of the one that says 0x0?

If that doesn't suggest something to me, then we'll have to try a different way of isolating the problem.

Please run a couple of the scans at this page to ensure that your current protection hasn't been hijacked: Malware (read the details at the link)

If that rules out an infection, then we'll have to start with clean boot troubleshooting: How to Troubleshoot a Problem by Performing a Clean Startup in Windows 7 or Vista
I won't need to try the above scans.
I've tried using Nod32, and anti-malware bytes.
I've also tried booting in safe mode with minimal ticked.

The 0x0 has no useful information to show, as if i remember correctly it was in the section where you wanted the name of that dll before the !

If it helps any, i think i remembering updating windows defender around the time this started. But i also remember doing other stuff that could of caused this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2010   #8
baarod

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cinos11 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
Can you post a screenshot of the one that says 0x0?

If that doesn't suggest something to me, then we'll have to try a different way of isolating the problem.

Please run a couple of the scans at this page to ensure that your current protection hasn't been hijacked: Malware (read the details at the link)

If that rules out an infection, then we'll have to start with clean boot troubleshooting: How to Troubleshoot a Problem by Performing a Clean Startup in Windows 7 or Vista
I won't need to try the above scans.
I've tried using Nod32, and anti-malware bytes.
I've also tried booting in safe mode with minimal ticked.

The 0x0 has no useful information to show, as if i remember correctly it was in the section where you wanted the name of that dll before the !

If it helps any, i think i remembering updating windows defender around the time this started. But i also remember doing other stuff that could of caused this.
Replace defender with MSSE. If that doesn't help simply uninstall it. http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2010   #9
cinos11

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Okay, i got the picture of you requested.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2010   #10
usasma
Microsoft MVP

 
 

I agree with baarod - install MSSE. But remove any other antivirus first.

But, if you still want to look further into this, please left click on each of the items that have numbers in the Cycles Delta column, then click on the "Stack" button. Post the screenshot of each in your next post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 [Help]Memory Leak. All memory drained and used




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
chkdsk high memory usage / memory leak
Has anyone else noticed that chkdsk uses all available physical memory (if you let it run long enough)? I find that if I run chkdsk and watch the memory usage in task manager it jumps by about 50MB every 2 seconds or so until it either finishes or hits around 3.2GB at which point my physical...
Performance & Maintenance
General Win7 memory leak and Unknown memory usage?
So I've had this problem for a few months with my thinkpad x220, win7 home premium 64 bit. I used ccleaner, run memtest86 multiple times, chkdsk multiple times, sfc scan multiple times, none that helped. Sfc always detects errors but always cannot fix some of them. I have mse, avast, and...
Performance & Maintenance
Troubleshooting Excessive Memory Use (Memory Leak?) after playing vid.
HI; I am having a problem with my memory getting tied up / used up and not being able to access it again until I reboot. Machine: Dell xps studio 8100 OS: Win 7, Processor: i7 2.8 RAM: 16GB (max it will take) Video: ATI Radeon 5700 (running 3 monitors) Versions: As far as I know I am...
Performance & Maintenance
IE8 Memory Leak
Reading around I thought IE eliminated it's memory leaks but I definitely have it when I use IE8. I typically have three windows of IE8 open and within one will have multiple tabs, maybe five or six at the most. Over time memory usage definitely grows and is not reclaimed as tabs or even...
Browsers & Mail
Win 7 memory leak?
Wasnt sure what section to post this under exactly, but here was an event log message that i had ran across. Event 11, RPC (Microsoft-Windows-RPC-Events) Possible Memory Leak. Application ("taskhost.exe") (PID: 3560) has passed a non-NULL pointer to RPC for an parameter marked . ...
Performance & Maintenance
Memory Leak
I think i have a memory leak, everytime i leave my computer idling for a few hours all my memory is taken by something and the system becomes very slow until i free it up using a memory cleaning software. here's what task manager shows me: http://imgur.com/A1Da6.png and here is the list of...
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App