Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Cold Boot BSODS ??

30 May 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Cold Boot BSODS ??

Hello all,

I recently built an HTPC for my brother. Almost immediately after getting it up and running, we started getting BSODs. The crazy thing is that it always happens from a cold boot, and will happen over and over again. But once the machine has been running for 5 to 10 minutes or so, the boot will go through, and the machine works fine after that.

(I should say that my brother also reports BSODs while he's watching movies sometimes or doing various other tasks, but I haven't seen them and he removed the logs with CCleaner so I can't check)

So far I re-formatted and removed the RAID setup, switched hard drives from the Gigabyte SATA2 Controller to the Intel P55 controller, Switched RAM positions, ran Memtest and checkdisk several times over..... I'm just about out of ideas.

Below are the systems specs, and attached is a zip of the minidump contents, the memory dump file (nevermind, too big), the checkdisk output, and a subfolder with files created after getting crashes using Verifier.
I should note that the crashes while using Verifier were not BSODS, and probably unrelated to the problem at hand, but since I can't figure it out I don't want to leave anything out.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 P55

CPU: CPU INTEL|CORE I5 750 2.66G

RAM: MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Video: VGA SAPPHIRE|100283VXL HD5770 1G

HDs: 2T|WD WD20EADS & 2T|ST SATA2 ST32000542AS

PSU: RAIDMAX|RX-600AF 600W


If I left out any other useful information, please let me know and I will update the thread with it. Thanks again!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ATeX View Post
Hello all,

I recently built an HTPC for my brother. Almost immediately after getting it up and running, we started getting BSODs. The crazy thing is that it always happens from a cold boot, and will happen over and over again. But once the machine has been running for 5 to 10 minutes or so, the boot will go through, and the machine works fine after that.

(I should say that my brother also reports BSODs while he's watching movies sometimes or doing various other tasks, but I haven't seen them and he removed the logs with CCleaner so I can't check)

So far I re-formatted and removed the RAID setup, switched hard drives from the Gigabyte SATA2 Controller to the Intel P55 controller, Switched RAM positions, ran Memtest and checkdisk several times over..... I'm just about out of ideas.

Below are the systems specs, and attached is a zip of the minidump contents, the memory dump file (nevermind, too big), the checkdisk output, and a subfolder with files created after getting crashes using Verifier.
I should note that the crashes while using Verifier were not BSODS, and probably unrelated to the problem at hand, but since I can't figure it out I don't want to leave anything out.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 P55

CPU: CPU INTEL|CORE I5 750 2.66G

RAM: MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Video: VGA SAPPHIRE|100283VXL HD5770 1G

HDs: 2T|WD WD20EADS & 2T|ST SATA2 ST32000542AS

PSU: RAIDMAX|RX-600AF 600W


If I left out any other useful information, please let me know and I will update the thread with it. Thanks again!
Hate to say it but the DMP's are still pointing to memory. How long did you run memtest? did you test the mobo slots one by one?



Code:
Built by: 7600.16539.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100226-1909
Debug session time: Sat May 29 09:31:22.564 2010 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 9:22:23.000
BugCheck A, {fffff6800000b900, 0, 0, fffff80002a8d1e2}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiAgeWorkingSet+1c2 )
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xA
PROCESS_NAME:  SearchFilterHo
ииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии
Built by: 7600.16539.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100226-1909
Debug session time: Sat May 29 00:07:49.408 2010 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:29.454
BugCheck 19, {3, fffff8a0011e1320, fffff8a0011e1320, fffffaa0011e1320}
Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExFreePool+75b )
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x19_3
PROCESS_NAME:  svchost.exe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Yesterday after posting I started up the newest version on memtest. 25 passes later and there are still no errors. This is with both sticks in dual-channel mode.

Is it better to test the sticks one by one? If so should I test them both in the same slot or in the slot they are usually in?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 May 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

update: I believe I found the problem. After moving both hard drives off of the Gigabyte SataII controller chip and on to the P55 controller, BSODS seem to have stopped. I am assuming that controller is bad, but not worth replacing the whole Mobo, since there are 8 other ports on the Intel chip.

Thank you for helping me look in to this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #5

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ATeX View Post
update: I believe I found the problem. After moving both hard drives off of the Gigabyte SataII controller chip and on to the P55 controller, BSODS seem to have stopped. I am assuming that controller is bad, but not worth replacing the whole Mobo, since there are 8 other ports on the Intel chip.

Thank you for helping me look in to this.

Glad you have figured it out. The one thing I forgot to ask was about the controller

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Ever been wrong? Happened to me.

So it wasn't the controller after all. The next day we got another BSOD. What followed was several days of making a minor config change, rebooting directly in to memtest, and then waiting at least an hour for everything to completely cool before repeating.

Ultimately we did discover that it was one of the memory sticks. Luckily the company offers a lifetime guarantee on their RAM. This was just such a huge P.I.T.A.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem, where hardware behaved faulty until it warmed up, then ran fine? HD's don't count, cause of moving parts and whatnot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2010   #7

Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ATeX View Post
Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem, where hardware behaved faulty until it warmed up, then ran fine? HD's don't count, cause of moving parts and whatnot.
YEP!!! ME

I sometimes get the BSOD for a fraction of a second and/or Disk Boot Failure. The machine simply and randomly shuts-down (2 mins - 2 hours). I have a little different config: IDE Channel 0 SSD (OS/Apps) and IDE Channel 2+3 RAID 1 (Data); the Builder "skipped" Chanel 1 for some unknown reason. I did not build this system. I seems that the Builder used Gigabyte to configure the RAID, but Intel is controlling the RAID (I'm using the latest x64 version).

I planned on running Memtest and see what happens. If I cannot figure this out I am going to RMA.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

If your machine runs up to two hours then it isn't really the same kind of problem. Your system is already warmed up. But either way, memtest is a good idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ATeX View Post
Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem, where hardware behaved faulty until it warmed up, then ran fine? HD's don't count, cause of moving parts and whatnot.
Count me in, right in the middle of it. Or actually, my 2nd kit of OCZ memory had this warm up problem. Now on my third. it also seems to behave a bit different between coldboots and warm memtests (in the middle of RMA again, not sure what the problem is. 3 broken kits?!)
I remember running memtest for 16 hours without any errors reported, 16 passes. No errors. Though I would still receive ram related BSOD's and the next morning upon coldboot: errors.

Stuff like this is a P.I.T.A. indeed. Hope you figured this one out for good!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cold Boot BSODS ??





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Cold Boot BSODS ??
Thread Forum
Random BSODs on Cold Startup BSOD Help and Support
Random Freezing/BSOD, Boot Disk Failure, OK Cold Boot then Repeat BSOD Help and Support
Cold boot BSoDs and more BSOD Help and Support
Different BSODS at Cold Boot BSOD Help and Support
BSODS always when cold boot... BSOD Help and Support
BSODS at cold boot BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

й Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33