Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Random Reboot's for past week?

09 Jun 2010   #1

Window's 7
 
 
Random Reboot's for past week?

For the past week I have been having random reboots. This never usually happens but it started after I updated Catalyst and started playing Team Fortress 2. It never reboots when I am on it, but it reboots when Its idle. I thought that maybe it was my CPU overheating so I decided to switch the power options to "Balanced" which doesn't shut it down but puts the computer to sleep after about 30 minutes. I have done virus scans and I am afraid that none of them are completely due to the random reboots.

I am also dual-booted to Ubuntu so when it reboots, it loads into ubuntu.

There was one BSOD but I didn't read what was wrong and it hasn't given me one since last week, so thats when I assumed it was the CPU and decided to lower the power settings to cooldown my CPU.

I am on a Gateway GT5692 (Gateway Support - Specifications) with a 1gb RadeonHD 4650 graphics card. I upgraded the PSU to a 500w Ultra. As well as installed a Ram fan to cooldown the Ram a year or 2 ago.

Normally in this position, I would format my HD and reinstall windows but at this moment, I do not have a backup HD hooked up to backup my files and there are plenty of files on here that I wish to keep.

If there is any other information you need, I will gladly fill you in as best as I can.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jun 2010   #2

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

What's the make and model # of that Ultra 500 watt? If it's an X-3 or an X-Pro, then you're in good shape; if it's an Xfinity or an X-2, then ... not so much. If it's an Ultra X-Connect, get rid of it now.
Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I - XtremeSystems Forums

Whenever you update CATs, you should always uninstall previous driver versions, then boot into safe mode (reboot, tap the F8 key), and run driver sweeper.

DL and install driver sweeper: Guru3D - Driver Sweeper
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #3

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

We will need that .dmp file for analysis, if you still have it ... Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy all of the dmp files to the desktop. Select all>right-click on one>Send to>New Compressed folder. Then attach the zip file to your next post by use of the paperclip icon in the advanced editor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Jun 2010   #4

Window's 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
What's the make and model # of that Ultra 500 watt? If it's an X-3 or an X-Pro, then you're in good shape; if it's an Xfinity or an X-2, then ... not so much. If it's an Ultra X-Connect, get rid of it now.
Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I - XtremeSystems Forums

Whenever you update CATs, you should always uninstall previous driver versions, then boot into safe mode (reboot, tap the F8 key), and run driver sweeper.

DL and install driver sweeper: Guru3D - Driver Sweeper
I have an Xfinity. So is that good? Its one of those PSU's that have a blue glow.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
We will need that .dmp file for analysis, if you still have it ... Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy all of the dmp files to the desktop. Select all>right-click on one>Send to>New Compressed folder. Then attach the zip file to your next post by use of the paperclip icon in the advanced editor.
I used RAR if that was ok. Ill edit my first post with the same file to make it easier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #5

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puppetmstr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
What's the make and model # of that Ultra 500 watt? If it's an X-3 or an X-Pro, then you're in good shape; if it's an Xfinity or an X-2, then ... not so much. If it's an Ultra X-Connect, get rid of it now.
Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I - XtremeSystems Forums
I have an Xfinity. So is that good? Its one of those PSU's that have a blue glow.
It's a tier 4 PSU. Tier 5's are so bad they can actually damage your hardware. So no, I would not say that's, "good", but perhaps it's not so bad that you need to rush out and replace it (although I would, in a heartbeat).

First I'd wait and let Tews examine your mini dumps. In the meantime, I'd install driver sweeper and do a clean install of the 10.5 CATs. Sorry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #6

Window's 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puppetmstr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
What's the make and model # of that Ultra 500 watt? If it's an X-3 or an X-Pro, then you're in good shape; if it's an Xfinity or an X-2, then ... not so much. If it's an Ultra X-Connect, get rid of it now.
Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I - XtremeSystems Forums
I have an Xfinity. So is that good? Its one of those PSU's that have a blue glow.
It's a tier 4 PSU. Tier 5's are so bad they can actually damage your hardware. So no, I would not say that's, "good", but perhaps it's not so bad that you need to rush out and replace it (although I would, in a heartbeat).

First I'd wait and let Tews examine your mini dumps. In the meantime, I'd install driver sweeper and do a clean install of the 10.5 CATs. Sorry.
Isn't that list a bit old? I noticed that it was last edited in 2009. Just wondering. And when my virus scans are done, I will reinstall the drivers

Nevermind about the list being old I just remembered my PSU is about 2 years old anyways so yea lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

That system would draw about 250w, at best. It's not for lack of sufficient power but the PSU you have may be defective.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #8

Window's 7
 
 

Main reason why I have this PSU is because the graphics card needed more than 300w. So It was my only option at the time since it was a new PSU but never used until a year later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puppetmstr View Post
... because the graphics card needed more than 300w.
Nonsense. Where are you getting this rating from? There is nothing in your case that draws any significant power. The 300w PSU it came with would have been sufficient. But that aside, you may have a faulty PSU, or you could simply check for dust that's clogging airflow, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #10

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puppetmstr View Post
Main reason why I have this PSU is because the graphics card needed more than 300w. So It was my only option at the time since it was a new PSU but never used until a year later.
Whenever you're selecting a psu for the purposes of powering your graphics card, wattage is almost irrelevant. What you need to concern yourself with is amperage on the +12 volt rail. The higher the amperage the better.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puppetmstr View Post
Isn't that list a bit old? I noticed that it was last edited in 2009. Just wondering. And when my virus scans are done, I will reinstall the drivers
Nevermind about the list being old I just remembered my PSU is about 2 years old anyways so yea lol.
Yeah, lol, the list is old, relatively speaking, but as you pointed out, so is your PSU. They've been in the process of "updating" it for what seems like eons now. Not sure when they'll finally get around to it, but I imagine it's quite a lot of work to do. They don't half-ass it and toss up rankings willy-nilly, so if these guys say a particular PSU isn't quite up to snuff, I listen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Random Reboot's for past week?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Random Reboot's for past week?
Thread Forum
Computer has only gone to sleep on its own twice in the past week Performance & Maintenance
Constant BSOD over the past two week, varying error codes BSOD Help and Support
Is there ANY WAY to see the history of every action in the past week? General Discussion
BSOD Randomly through Past Week 0x000000D1 BSOD Help and Support
Lots of BSOD in the past week BSOD Help and Support
Lost sounds on several channels this past week Media Center

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33