Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Random Reboot's for past week?

09 Jun 2010   #1
puppetmstr

Window's 7
 
 
Random Reboot's for past week?

For the past week I have been having random reboots. This never usually happens but it started after I updated Catalyst and started playing Team Fortress 2. It never reboots when I am on it, but it reboots when Its idle. I thought that maybe it was my CPU overheating so I decided to switch the power options to "Balanced" which doesn't shut it down but puts the computer to sleep after about 30 minutes. I have done virus scans and I am afraid that none of them are completely due to the random reboots.

I am also dual-booted to Ubuntu so when it reboots, it loads into ubuntu.

There was one BSOD but I didn't read what was wrong and it hasn't given me one since last week, so thats when I assumed it was the CPU and decided to lower the power settings to cooldown my CPU.

I am on a Gateway GT5692 (Gateway Support - Specifications) with a 1gb RadeonHD 4650 graphics card. I upgraded the PSU to a 500w Ultra. As well as installed a Ram fan to cooldown the Ram a year or 2 ago.

Normally in this position, I would format my HD and reinstall windows but at this moment, I do not have a backup HD hooked up to backup my files and there are plenty of files on here that I wish to keep.

If there is any other information you need, I will gladly fill you in as best as I can.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Jun 2010   #2
Fumz

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

What's the make and model # of that Ultra 500 watt? If it's an X-3 or an X-Pro, then you're in good shape; if it's an Xfinity or an X-2, then ... not so much. If it's an Ultra X-Connect, get rid of it now.
Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I - XtremeSystems Forums

Whenever you update CATs, you should always uninstall previous driver versions, then boot into safe mode (reboot, tap the F8 key), and run driver sweeper.

DL and install driver sweeper: Guru3D - Driver Sweeper
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #3
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

We will need that .dmp file for analysis, if you still have it ... Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy all of the dmp files to the desktop. Select all>right-click on one>Send to>New Compressed folder. Then attach the zip file to your next post by use of the paperclip icon in the advanced editor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jun 2010   #4
puppetmstr

Window's 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
What's the make and model # of that Ultra 500 watt? If it's an X-3 or an X-Pro, then you're in good shape; if it's an Xfinity or an X-2, then ... not so much. If it's an Ultra X-Connect, get rid of it now.
Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I - XtremeSystems Forums

Whenever you update CATs, you should always uninstall previous driver versions, then boot into safe mode (reboot, tap the F8 key), and run driver sweeper.

DL and install driver sweeper: Guru3D - Driver Sweeper
I have an Xfinity. So is that good? Its one of those PSU's that have a blue glow.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
We will need that .dmp file for analysis, if you still have it ... Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy all of the dmp files to the desktop. Select all>right-click on one>Send to>New Compressed folder. Then attach the zip file to your next post by use of the paperclip icon in the advanced editor.
I used RAR if that was ok. Ill edit my first post with the same file to make it easier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #5
Fumz

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puppetmstr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
What's the make and model # of that Ultra 500 watt? If it's an X-3 or an X-Pro, then you're in good shape; if it's an Xfinity or an X-2, then ... not so much. If it's an Ultra X-Connect, get rid of it now.
Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I - XtremeSystems Forums
I have an Xfinity. So is that good? Its one of those PSU's that have a blue glow.
It's a tier 4 PSU. Tier 5's are so bad they can actually damage your hardware. So no, I would not say that's, "good", but perhaps it's not so bad that you need to rush out and replace it (although I would, in a heartbeat).

First I'd wait and let Tews examine your mini dumps. In the meantime, I'd install driver sweeper and do a clean install of the 10.5 CATs. Sorry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #6
puppetmstr

Window's 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puppetmstr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
What's the make and model # of that Ultra 500 watt? If it's an X-3 or an X-Pro, then you're in good shape; if it's an Xfinity or an X-2, then ... not so much. If it's an Ultra X-Connect, get rid of it now.
Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I - XtremeSystems Forums
I have an Xfinity. So is that good? Its one of those PSU's that have a blue glow.
It's a tier 4 PSU. Tier 5's are so bad they can actually damage your hardware. So no, I would not say that's, "good", but perhaps it's not so bad that you need to rush out and replace it (although I would, in a heartbeat).

First I'd wait and let Tews examine your mini dumps. In the meantime, I'd install driver sweeper and do a clean install of the 10.5 CATs. Sorry.
Isn't that list a bit old? I noticed that it was last edited in 2009. Just wondering. And when my virus scans are done, I will reinstall the drivers

Nevermind about the list being old I just remembered my PSU is about 2 years old anyways so yea lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #7
Captain Zero

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

That system would draw about 250w, at best. It's not for lack of sufficient power but the PSU you have may be defective.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #8
puppetmstr

Window's 7
 
 

Main reason why I have this PSU is because the graphics card needed more than 300w. So It was my only option at the time since it was a new PSU but never used until a year later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #9
Captain Zero

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puppetmstr View Post
... because the graphics card needed more than 300w.
Nonsense. Where are you getting this rating from? There is nothing in your case that draws any significant power. The 300w PSU it came with would have been sufficient. But that aside, you may have a faulty PSU, or you could simply check for dust that's clogging airflow, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #10
Fumz

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puppetmstr View Post
Main reason why I have this PSU is because the graphics card needed more than 300w. So It was my only option at the time since it was a new PSU but never used until a year later.
Whenever you're selecting a psu for the purposes of powering your graphics card, wattage is almost irrelevant. What you need to concern yourself with is amperage on the +12 volt rail. The higher the amperage the better.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puppetmstr View Post
Isn't that list a bit old? I noticed that it was last edited in 2009. Just wondering. And when my virus scans are done, I will reinstall the drivers
Nevermind about the list being old I just remembered my PSU is about 2 years old anyways so yea lol.
Yeah, lol, the list is old, relatively speaking, but as you pointed out, so is your PSU. They've been in the process of "updating" it for what seems like eons now. Not sure when they'll finally get around to it, but I imagine it's quite a lot of work to do. They don't half-ass it and toss up rankings willy-nilly, so if these guys say a particular PSU isn't quite up to snuff, I listen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Random Reboot's for past week?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Constant BSODs the past week or so
I've been getting a BSOD or two almost every day for the past week or so. I tried upgrading to the new Nvidia driver and it seemed to make it worse so I rolled it back to the one I had. I followed the directions on this site to properly install the drivers so that I wouldn't have any conflicts...
BSOD Help and Support
Multiple BSODs, all in the past week doing random things
Ok, new to the forum I keep getting 1a BSODs and the last one I got was a c1. I'm not sure where to go or what to do at this point. When I used BlueScreenView the common driver failure after activating verifier was ntoskrnl.exe. Any help is appreciated! I have had this rig for about 2 years now...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD 3 times, twice in past week
I'm using windows 32bit on a 15 inch macbook pro through bootcamp. I haven't been quick enough to get the error code. The BSOD occurs seemingly randomly; once while loading a youtube video, once while the computer was just idling, once while chrome was open. The error code mentioned something...
BSOD Help and Support
Is there ANY WAY to see the history of every action in the past week?
I sent my laptop to get something fixed and when I got it back I found a hell of a lot of personal folders accessed by the sickos who 'fixed' it. I'm disgusted beyond words, just... please, I NEED to know if they copied anything out of my laptop or bluetoothed anything out of it - there were a...
General Discussion
Lots of BSOD in the past week
Hi guys, first post here, so hello to everyone. My husband's computer has been behaving erratically for about 10 days or so. It will crash with different BSOD's at random. Details of the behavior: - The computer shuts itself down anytime: It can be idle doing nothing for hours, you may be...
BSOD Help and Support
Lost sounds on several channels this past week
Hi, In the past, I've been able to use Media Center to record shows such as AMC's Rubicon and Mad Men, put the 'Microsoft Recorded TV Show' type recordings on a DVD, or a USB drive to watch in my living room. Recently, I had to hook up a cable box to my computer to get all Comcast's...
Media Center


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App