Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSoD - Graphics card related?


18 Jul 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 
BSoD - Graphics card related?

Hi,

I've had my current PC for about three years. Around this same time late last year, I had to replace my graphics card as it died out on me quite suddenly. My PC originally came with a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 8400GS, but I upgraded to 512 when my older card died out.

Since the card replacement, things were working fine up until just recently, when I've been having a random BSoD pop up. This has happened twice so far. Here's some info on the crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 849863A0
BCP2: 8E41FF80
BCP3: C000009A
BCP4: 00000004
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\071510-31044-01.dmp
C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-43836-0.sysdata.xml

To be certain I didn't have any sort of virus or anything, I ran CHKDSK and found no errors. I also reformatted my drive and wiped it clean. Upon completion and a fresh install of Windows, I still get a random blue screen.

The problem I have is this: I ran the Windows Experience Index, and my score is usually a 3.5, but has now dropped down to 2.0, with the graphics card having the lowest score. I've installed the latest drivers for my graphics card, and when attempting to watch any online videos, play a game, open or close a window, etc., everything is just sluggish. All of the transitions that take place within the windows environment running on Aero just seem to struggle. As a side note, my system is not modified in any way.

I noticed the crash takes place when doing anything that involves video or heavy use of the graphics card. I'm almost certain I'll have to replace my card again, as the symptoms I'm having are similar to when my older card died out, except my display doesn't have jagged lines or running in 8 bits of color.

I know nothing about dump files, so I've attached everything here that I found in reading the BSoD guidelines.

Thanks for any help.

Windows 7 . . .
- 32-bit
- Originally Vista installed, but formatted and installed clean copy of 7
- Retail version

- System is about 3 years old, except video card, which is about a year old
- Currently running a fresh installation of Win 7

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Jul 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
Hi,

I've had my current PC for about three years. Around this same time late last year, I had to replace my graphics card as it died out on me quite suddenly. My PC originally came with a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 8400GS, but I upgraded to 512 when my older card died out.

Since the card replacement, things were working fine up until just recently, when I've been having a random BSoD pop up. This has happened twice so far. Here's some info on the crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 849863A0
BCP2: 8E41FF80
BCP3: C000009A
BCP4: 00000004
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\071510-31044-01.dmp
C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-43836-0.sysdata.xml

To be certain I didn't have any sort of virus or anything, I ran CHKDSK and found no errors. I also reformatted my drive and wiped it clean. Upon completion and a fresh install of Windows, I still get a random blue screen.

The problem I have is this: I ran the Windows Experience Index, and my score is usually a 3.5, but has now dropped down to 2.0, with the graphics card having the lowest score. I've installed the latest drivers for my graphics card, and when attempting to watch any online videos, play a game, open or close a window, etc., everything is just sluggish. All of the transitions that take place within the windows environment running on Aero just seem to struggle. As a side note, my system is not modified in any way.

I noticed the crash takes place when doing anything that involves video or heavy use of the graphics card. I'm almost certain I'll have to replace my card again, as the symptoms I'm having are similar to when my older card died out, except my display doesn't have jagged lines or running in 8 bits of color.

I know nothing about dump files, so I've attached everything here that I found in reading the BSoD guidelines.

Thanks for any help.

Windows 7 . . .
- 32-bit
- Originally Vista installed, but formatted and installed clean copy of 7
- Retail version

- System is about 3 years old, except video card, which is about a year old
- Currently running a fresh installation of Win 7


This last DMP was caused by your video driver again. You need to completely remove all remnants of the current driver before installing a new copy. If you are overclocking stop

let us know if you need further assistance

Ken

Code:
Built by: 7600.16539.x86fre.win7_gdr.100226-1909
Debug session time: Thu Jul 15 04:38:52.273 2010 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:03:40.928
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dxgkrnl.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dxgkrnl.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x116
PROCESS_NAME:  System
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
This last DMP was caused by your video driver again. You need to completely remove all remnants of the current driver before installing a new copy. If you are overclocking stop

let us know if you need further assistance

Ken

Code:
Built by: 7600.16539.x86fre.win7_gdr.100226-1909
Debug session time: Thu Jul 15 04:38:52.273 2010 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:03:40.928
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dxgkrnl.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dxgkrnl.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x116
PROCESS_NAME:  System
No overclocking is being done. The driver that's installed is the only one that's ever been loaded since my system has been freshly loaded.

Why would anything video related lag? I've installed a fresh copy of Windows many times with the most updated drivers without this issue, ever.

Should I replace my card? This problem seems to be come and go. Once my system has been off for a while things are fine, but after using it several minutes it appears again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Jul 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

OK, I updated my drivers again to the latest version from nVidia. Upon reboot, I re-ran the Windows Experience Index, having it crash yet again.

At the current time everything is running smoothly, however, I know after several minutes things will slow to a crawl.

Here are the updated files:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 84F9E008
BCP2: 8E5721F6
BCP3: C000009A
BCP4: 00000004
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\071810-25474-01.dmp
C:\Users\Erick\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-3112641-0.sysdata.xml
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

This is a video card error. Please see this article: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...eshooting.html

If playing around with the drivers didn't help, I wonder if it is a physically failing card. Do you have another card you can test?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
This is a video card error. Please see this article: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...eshooting.html

If playing around with the drivers didn't help, I wonder if it is a physically failing card. Do you have another card you can test?
No, no other video card I can use. Where do I find the log files for the tests in furmark? I don't see them anywhere...(I quit the test when the temp reached the max, but saw no results)

I think the card is failing. If I turn the PC on after it's been off for a while, graphics and navigating the system are fine with no slowdown. After several minutes, anything that requires heavy use of the card starts to slow to a crawl.

Also, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way, but when I ran that Furmark test, the rotating image was extremely slow. I only got about 1-2 frames a second.

*EDIT*

I re-ran the test again and it failed immediately. At this point I'm concluding the card is failing and time for yet another replacement. Hmm, should I buy a Mac at this point? lol

My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

sounds like your card overheats and fails after being on for a while you bother checking temps at all to see if it is escalating in temp that might be whats causeing the error message
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
sounds like your card overheats and fails after being on for a while you bother checking temps at all to see if it is escalating in temp that might be whats causeing the error message
I think I found my problem. I took the cover off my PC and examined my card. The fan has failed and won't spin at all. Guess it's time for a replacement. I'm hoping I still have warranty on this card so I can get a free swap.

I'll report back later on warranty status...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

yea just like i figured the card was overheating cause if it is fine and then a few minutes later crash then the heat output must be insane i dunno if you can go check into and get a vga card cooler that will slip into the a empty slot next pci-e that would be a fix if your not looking to spend money

a vga cooler is for oc purposes in your case a temp fix till your able to spend on a better card on funtioning model if the warrenty doesnt work for you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Well, I can't find my receipt for when I bought my card. Tech support can't look up the serial or part # and won't send a replacement without my original receipt. Lame.

Oh well. Guess I'll just buy another card. They're not too expensive, about $40 bucks or so. I appreciate everyones help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSoD - Graphics card related?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: BSoD - Graphics card related?
Thread Forum
Solved Random BSOD - 0x0000003b - Graphics Card Related? BSOD Help and Support
Solved BSOD-Graphics card related, not certian. BSOD Help and Support
Solved New Graphics Card new Event Viewer entries (NOT graphics related??) Performance & Maintenance
Random BSOD's, possibly related to graphics card BSOD Help and Support
Graphics Card related BSOD problem. BSOD Help and Support
BSOD possibly related to graphics card BSOD Help and Support
Graphics card related BSOD's BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33