Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: do you believe in... rumors?

10 Sep 2010   #11

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thathagat View Post
If MS does buy Symantec ... and that's a pretty big if... I sincerely hope they don't muck around with MSE. They finally have a free product (free as in no money needed and free as in no bloatware) that works. If MS tries to incorporate any of Symantec's security products I hope they don't just bundle everything into MSE and turn it into a bloated memory hog. Snap-ins might be the way to go so users have a choice as to what is or isn't installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #12

Win 7 X32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Klaw117 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
If they do it may turn out like a blend, hopefully like a fine Scotch whiskey......
disaster in the making. two companies with overbloated software. i can just see it now. i'm running win 7 x64 with 12 gigs of ram. nothing else installed, all unnecessary services shut off and i still only have 1/2 a gig of ram free for use.
You might want to check what processes you have running. There is no way Windows 7 should be that bloated. I'm running Windows 7 x64 with only 4 GB of RAM and I have like 20 games installed on my computer. Even when those games are running, I usually have 1-2 GB free.

As for the Microsoft-Symantec deal...I just hope they won't change MSE. It might be a good idea for improving the backup software and other things like that.
i was making fun at the fact that until 7 microsoft rarely got anything right. one thing right does not make up for years of screw ups. i actually run 7 32bit and the comp runs great.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #13

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

IMO, it would totally ruin MSE if Microsoft turns it into a Norton product. The big thing with MSE is that it's ... small.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post
i was making fun at the fact that until 7 microsoft rarely got anything right. one thing right does not make up for years of screw ups. i actually run 7 32bit and the comp runs great.
I think you'll find that general consensus says that Windows ME and Windows Vista were screw-ups. But 95, 98, NT, XP, etc, were all good OSes at the time. And to say that ANY version of Windows was "bloated"? How so??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Sep 2010   #14

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

So, 95, 98, NT4, 2000, and XP were all screw-ups? Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, etc - all screwups? Also, without Vista you would not have Windows 7, and without WinME we would not have had Windows XP.... So, unpopular, yes - but screw ups? No.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #15

Win 7 X32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
IMO, it would totally ruin MSE if Microsoft turns it into a Norton product. The big thing with MSE is that it's ... small.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post
i was making fun at the fact that until 7 microsoft rarely got anything right. one thing right does not make up for years of screw ups. i actually run 7 32bit and the comp runs great.
I think you'll find that general consensus says that Windows ME and Windows Vista were screw-ups. But 95, 98, NT, XP, etc, were all good OSes at the time. And to say that ANY version of Windows was "bloated"? How so??
i have been using windows since 95b(first one to support usb). 95 i really don't remember that much about, so i won't say anything about it. 98 having to trick it into installing the correct drivers was never fun, and it was not just on my sys. 2000 very, very poor drive and game support plus the removal or blocking of tools that peeps use. xp until sp1 popup haven, and security leaks all over the place. vista pre sp1 a driver nightmare. now on vista i have heard both that the hardware manufactures dropped the ball, and i heard that microsoft waited too long to give the code to the hardware manufactures. so i will not say anything else about vista other than after sp1 it was and still is pretty sweet. as for being bloated wmp is a prime example. it eats more resources than any other media program i have tried, it is also way too intrusive. no i do not want it sending info out to the net, nor do i want it updating my info from the net. microsoft has gain a lot of ground because of 7, but it does not make up for the years of releasing an os before it is really ready.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #16

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

+1 Klaw. I think you must have something wrong there geekfreak. I run Windows 7x64 with 6GB of DDR3 and no matter what I do it doesn't rise above a third of that in use. I think you should follow Klaw117's suggestion and look at what processes you have running, maybe take a snip and post in the general section. All the best, John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #17

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Prob Symantec looking to deal with MS. "Please buy us!"

They need a partner after the Intel-McAfee deal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #18

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
IMO, it would totally ruin MSE if Microsoft turns it into a Norton product. The big thing with MSE is that it's ... small.
That is true if they do make it a norton clone.
I like marsmimars hope for snap-ins.....

I'm running MSE and like it except for one thing,
When you left/right click on the icon in the taskbar/notifications area the open bar shows up, If that's all its good for why doesn't MS wise up, and just open the program instead of having that extra step?

btw....check my specs, I have 6GB ram with 4951 available.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #19

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Klaw117 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post

disaster in the making. two companies with overbloated software. i can just see it now. i'm running win 7 x64 with 12 gigs of ram. nothing else installed, all unnecessary services shut off and i still only have 1/2 a gig of ram free for use.
You might want to check what processes you have running. There is no way Windows 7 should be that bloated. I'm running Windows 7 x64 with only 4 GB of RAM and I have like 20 games installed on my computer. Even when those games are running, I usually have 1-2 GB free.

As for the Microsoft-Symantec deal...I just hope they won't change MSE. It might be a good idea for improving the backup software and other things like that.
i was making fun at the fact that until 7 microsoft rarely got anything right. one thing right does not make up for years of screw ups. i actually run 7 32bit and the comp runs great.
Sorry. When I first read that, it didn't really register as a hypothetical situation until you pointed it out. I won't say too much about the "years of screw ups" since you explained yourself, but I will say that Windows 2000 was never really meant for gaming and stuff like that. It was meant more for businesses and offices, although gaming support was added fairly late into its lifetime when more home users were buying it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
+1 Klaw. I think you must have something wrong there geekfreak. I run Windows 7x64 with 6GB of DDR3 and no matter what I do it doesn't rise above a third of that in use. I think you should follow Klaw117's suggestion and look at what processes you have running, maybe take a snip and post in the general section. All the best, John
Read what I wrote above. He was talking about a hypothetical situation and it didn't register in my head at the time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #20

Win 7 X32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
+1 Klaw. I think you must have something wrong there geekfreak. I run Windows 7x64 with 6GB of DDR3 and no matter what I do it doesn't rise above a third of that in use. I think you should follow Klaw117's suggestion and look at what processes you have running, maybe take a snip and post in the general section. All the best, John
this is the second time that i said that i was making a joke because of microsofts poor history. i run win 7 ultimate 32 bit, and it runs great. i rarely have a problem. the only thing that can bog down my system is what i do video wise, and that is only because i am still using a geforce 9500. with what i do video wise now versus what i use to do i really push the limits of the card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: do you believe in... rumors?
Thread Forum
Call of Duty – Modern Warfare 3: DLC Rumors Fly Gaming
More sources chime in on Radeon HD 5830 rumors. Graphic Cards
Are the rumors true? Chillout Room
What happen to all the rumors of RTM coming out? General Discussion
Windows 7 pricing rumors retracted News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33