Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Monitor (Dell)

04 Dec 2010   #1
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 
New Monitor (Dell)

Just got a Dell SP2309W today (Fedex). This is really a nice monitor. It is a 23" with 16:9 screen ration. The native screen is 2048-1152 vice the normal 1920-1080 you find on most 23" monitors, thus you get a sharper picture with a little more screen to play with.

The monitor can be pivoted back 90 degrees that way if you get tired of sitting you can stand to do work. Or if you are showing off.

Still getting used to the screen may have to go into screen resolution and increase the font size just a bit. My old eyes would really like that. Right now it is setup on my Win 7 machine, tomorrow I am going to get an adapter for my iMac 24 so I can run two monitors on it. Should look great hooked to the Mac.

After thought: Those of you who are using dual monitors in Win 7 have you noticed the monitor icon next to the window controls (right hand corner). It is really a neat little tool. You click on it and it moves that window over to the second or back to the first monitor. You can use crtl+Win+w to move back and forth while in a window. Cool
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #2
Joan Archer

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/Windows 10 64bit
 
 

Sounds nice Lee enjoy your new toy, you've made me feel very jealous now as I sit here looking at my 17" wide screen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #3
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Sounds fantastic Lee. I've had a 2408WFP for about 4 years now. Dell monitors are special.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Dec 2010   #4
gogreen

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
Sounds fantastic Lee. I've had a 2408WFP for about 4 years now. Dell monitors are special.
I really like my 2408WFP, too! I use it often rotated (with irotate) to portrait. Great monitor.

Lee, is the 2309W a new Dell product?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2010   #5
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

gogreen, Yes. It doesn't rotate, howevr, it can be adjusted in just about any position you want. I have it set to where I am looking down at it instead of up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2010   #6
gogreen

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
gogreen, Yes. It doesn't rotate, howevr, it can be adjusted in just about any position you want. I have it set to where I am looking down at it instead of up.
I bought the 2408 specifically because it rotates. I'd go even bigger if I could afford it. Any particular reason to be looking down at it instead of up? I'm trying that now. If it reduces glare, I might keep it that way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2010   #7
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
gogreen, Yes. It doesn't rotate, howevr, it can be adjusted in just about any position you want. I have it set to where I am looking down at it instead of up.
I bought the 2408 specifically because it rotates. I'd go even bigger if I could afford it. Any particular reason to be looking down at it instead of up? I'm trying that now. If it reduces glare, I might keep it that way.
The main reason is because I work as an editor, and with the monitor situated so that I'm looking down (just a bit) it really helps my back and neck. I have a iMac 27" that I have to look up at and because of it my neck gets sore. So, because most of my time is spent on my Windows machine I just fine it easier to work with the monitor below my eye sight without getting sore.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2010   #8
gogreen

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
 
 

Two years ago I retired as a magazine editor! The main problem with the monitor now, and why I asked, is because when I sit at my desk, I face a window. I can adjust the blinds, of course, for glare, but even so, my eyes get tired and sometimes I get headachy. I really should try adjusting the monitor better!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2010   #9
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Take your point gogreen but you're better off with the light behind the monitor than shining on the screen. The sun has just gone down here and I've not been able to see my monitor for about ten minutes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2010   #10
gogreen

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
Take your point gogreen but you're better off with the light behind the monitor than shining on the screen. The sun has just gone down here and I've not been able to see my monitor for about ten minutes.
Actually, the glare comes from the window behind the monitor. I turn the shades upward so that I can still see outside but reduce the glare.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dell Laptop external monitor = OK, attached monitor = BSOD
My old dell laptop L502x is a bit quirky and caused me to buy a desktop, however, i think it is still saveable. when i have it display to an external monitor via hdmi, it works 100% with no problems. however, when i use the monitor that is physically attached to the laptop, i will get a " A clock...
BSOD Help and Support
Unknown dell monitor
Does anyone know what model this dell monitor is at all.
Hardware & Devices
Radeon HD to Dell Monitor
Hi, I have Dell U2311h monitor which has 1xDVI 1xVGA and 1 Display port. I used one DVI for PS3.I purchased Sapphire HD 6850 graphic card which has display port output. I thought of connecting the video card to the display port of the monitor so i get one displayport adapter but it does not...
Graphic Cards
Dell monitor help
I bought a SP2009 monitor with a built in webcam, it's 19" and can't find a driver for the webcam anywhere. I'm running windows 7 32 bit. Does anyone know where I can find it, or other suggestions how to get the webcam to work. Thanks in advance.
Hardware & Devices
W2600 Dell monitor
i have a w2600 dell monitor and i can only get the display to work in the following. 640x480 high color (16 bit) default refresh generic PnP monitor on standard vga grafics adaptor, i had no problems when i used windows xp. any suggestions
Graphic Cards
Dell 2408 monitor
HI, I'm using dell 2408 monitor and having an issue with screen resolution. It only lets me set at 1920 x 1200. I usually set it lower so to see the desk a little better or bigger. At this resolution i have to set the text to 150% just to read it. I have 20/20 vision. lol CAD - skin using is...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App