1. MOPED is the short term, for 'Motorized Pedaling'.
2.. POP MUSIC, is 'Popular Music' shortened.
3. BUS is the short term, for 'Omnibus'.
4. FORTNIGHT, comes from 'Fourteen Nights' (Two Weeks).
5. DRAWING ROOMS, were actually 'Withdrawing Rooms', where people withdrew into, after having had their dinner. Later, the prefix 'with' was dropped.
6. NEWS, refers to information from the four directions - North, East, West and South.
7. AG-MARK, which some products bear, stems from 'Agricultural Marketing'.
8. JOURNAL is a diary, which tells about 'Journey for a day', during each day's business.
9. QUEUE comes from 'Queen's Quest'. A long time back, there had been a long row of people, waiting to see the Queen. On seeing that someone made the comment, 'Queen's Quest'.
10. TIPS, come from 'To Insure Prompt Service'. In the old days, in order to get prompt service from the servants at inns, travelers used to drop coins in a box, on which was written, 'To Insure Prompt Service'. This gave rise to the custom, of tips.
11. JEEP is a vehicle, with a unique gear system. It was invented during World War II (1939-1945). It was named 'General Purpose Vehicle' (GP for short). GP was changed into JEEP, much later.
12. Coca-Cola, was originally green in colour.
13. The most common name in the world, is 'Muhammed'.
14. The name of all the continents, end with the same letter that they start with.
15. The strongest muscle in the body, is the tongue.
16. TYPEWRITER is the longest word, that can be made, using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
17. Women blink, nearly twice as much, as men.
18. You can't kill yourself, by holding your own breath.
19. It is impossible, to lick your own elbow.
20.. People say, "Bless you" when you sneeze, because when you sneeze, your heart stops working, for a millisecond.
21. It is physically impossible, for pigs to look up into the sky.
22. The "Sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick", is said to be the toughest tongue-twister, in the English language.
23. If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib.
24. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head and/ or neck, and die.
23. Each king, in a deck of playing cards, represents a great king, from history.
o Spades - King David
o Clubs - Alexander the Great,
o Hearts – Charlemagne
o Diamonds - Julius Caesar.
24. Statue of a horse in parks. If there is a statue of a person on a horse, in a park, and that horse has both its front legs in the air, it means that that person had died, in a battle.
If there is a statue of a person on a horse, in a park, and that horse has one front leg in the air, it means that that person had died, as a result of wounds received in a battle.
·If there is a statue of a person on a horse, in a park, and that horse has all four legs on the ground, it means that that person had died,of natural causes.
25. Question:- "What do bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers and laser printers, have in common"?
Answer:- "All those had been invented, by women".
26. A crocodile, cannot stick its tongue out.
27. A snail can sleep, for three years.
28. All polar bears, are left handed.
29. Butterflies taste, with their feet.
30. Elephants are the only animals, that can't jump.
31. In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.
32. On average, people fear spiders, more than they do death.
33. Shakespeare invented the words 'assassination' and 'bump'.
34. 'Stewardesses' is the longest word that can be typed, on a keyboard, using only the left hand.
35. The ant always falls over on its right side, when intoxicated.
36. The electric chair, was invented by a dentist.
37. The human heart creates enough pressure, when it pumps out to the body, so as to be able to squirt blood 30 feet away.
38. Rats multiply so quickly, that in a period of 18 months, two rats could have, over a million descendants.
39. Wearing headphones for just an hour, will increase the bacteria in your ear, by 700 times.
40. The cigarette lighter was invented, before the match.
41. Most lipstick, contains fish scales.