Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What's that Version....?

18 Dec 2010   #1

7 x64/ Back-Track 4
 
 
What's that Version....?

What's the "version" of Windows 7 on Netbooks, like, is it the "integrated" version or what...?

Because on my old laptop, I may put a "lighter" version of Windows 7 on it, as when running allot of my CAD apps (AutoCAD Inventor 2011 and AutoCAD 3DS Max Mostly) my laptop REALLY freezes up.

I've really already done every optimization possible to my laptop.

I remember a post somewhere in the past, where a Windows 7. version made specifically for those Atom notebooks was made. I don't really care about a nice look, I'm on classic mode already

Thanks everyone
-DD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2010   #3

7 x64/ Back-Track 4
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Yikes... But thanks anyway
I'll see how I can get this,

One more question though,

Should I even bother to put Starter onto my laptop, the MS website really doesn't list the EXACT things that are pulled out of starter edition.

Thanks.

PS. Buy off-of eBay, ship to my house, install. I live State-side, so I need to buy it out-of-country.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2010   #4

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

What version do you have on the laptop currently?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2010   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Here's a good chart of the versions, Windows 7 editions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you have on it now? Actually starter is OEM only Home Basic is retail though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2010   #6

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

I'd get Home Premium and turn off Aero Glass. You'll pretty much have the performance hit problem licked. It's the extra graphics load that causes the most problems with Netbooks, mainly due to them being underpowered in the video department. Eliminate unnecessary Services and Programs and you'll take an additional load off the CPU and RAM.

The next generation of Netbooks will have better graphics and (mostly) dual-core CPUs and won't need nearly as much babying.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
The next generation of Netbooks will have better graphics and (mostly) dual-core CPUs and won't need nearly as much babying.
Exactly the reason why I think a Netbook/Laptop might not be the best of all choices for Autocad and the likes..low RAM and mediocre GFX just doesn't mix with graphic centered applications (not even mentioning the relative tiny screens

-DG
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

I had Windows 7 Starter on my Netbook, and had it upgraded to Ultimate.
It's an HP Mini 110-1125NR, it is more than a year old and it runs Windows 7 with Aero enabled with no problem and with blazing fast speed.
Newegg.com - HP Mini 110-1125NR Black Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 10.1" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD NetBook

So I have no idea what the "babying" is all about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2010   #9

Windows 8.1 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PwnFrnzy View Post
I had Windows 7 Starter on my Netbook, and had it upgraded to Ultimate.
It's an HP Mini 110-1125NR, it is more than a year old and it runs Windows 7 with Aero enabled with no problem and with blazing fast speed.
Newegg.com - HP Mini 110-1125NR Black Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 10.1" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD NetBook

So I have no idea what the "babying" is all about.
I have the same netbook. I have Professional on it, and wouldn't exactly call it "blazing fast", but it's very much usable for general use.

I took Starter straight off of the netbook. Quite a lot is stripped out, including small things like personalisation. But like mentioned previously, having Aero enabled is the real battery drainer, which is what Starter tries to combat.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2010   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PwnFrnzy View Post
I had Windows 7 Starter on my Netbook, and had it upgraded to Ultimate.
It's an HP Mini 110-1125NR, it is more than a year old and it runs Windows 7 with Aero enabled with no problem and with blazing fast speed.
Newegg.com - HP Mini 110-1125NR Black Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 10.1" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD NetBook

So I have no idea what the "babying" is all about.
I have the same netbook. I have Professional on it, and wouldn't exactly call it "blazing fast", but it's very much usable for general use.

I took Starter straight off of the netbook. Quite a lot is stripped out, including small things like personalisation. But like mentioned previously, having Aero enabled is the real battery drainer, which is what Starter tries to combat.
This is what made mine so speedy:
Advanced SystemCare Free - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33