Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Basement apartment flooded

13 Feb 2011   #11

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote:
we found out a main water line busted outside on our main street
A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2011   #12

Windows 7 Pro X64
 
 

wow scary. Good thing you did not lose anything, but do you know who is going to cover the cost of getting the floors fixed and everything cleaned up to prevent mold?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2011   #13

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Sorry to hear that, good thing it didn't happen 5 minutes later, after you had all left! I had a ground floor apartment once. The guy on the 3rd floor started his tub filling, and then fell asleep on the couch. I started to hear what sounded like water running in pipes, but in the walls. then water started coming out of the light fixture in my bathroom! I didn't lose any of my possessions, but because it was hot water, they had to pull up all the carpets and padding. Will never move into anything but top floor again. Let me be the noisy guy upstairs

A Guy
I had something very similar happen to me once. The maintenance guys were doing some work on the water heater and had the water to the building turned off. The neighbor upstairs turned on the water on the bathroom sink and when nothing came out, just walked away. She eventually left home to run some errands. Shortly after maintenance turned the water back on I had hot water streaming through the light fixture in my ceiling.
Now I live on the top floor...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2011   #14

Windows 7 x64 Home Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smsff7 View Post
wow scary. Good thing you did not lose anything, but do you know who is going to cover the cost of getting the floors fixed and everything cleaned up to prevent mold?
Yea it was pretty intense stuff going on for the next two days I just woke up I was over tired slept 18 hours did not really want to I had stuff I wanted to take care of today, but I guess I needed the sleep, our landlord has insurance on everything so hes covering everything seems to be alright now, the house is finally dry what we can see, I am sure under the house is still wet but our land lord is stopping by tomorrow with a carpet cleaner, but our porch carpet we are going to tear up to see what is under it because it is still wet from friday, and we are going to take off one of the baseboards to look under the sub floor to see what's under there,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2011   #15

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
...we are going to take off one of the baseboards to look under the sub floor to see what's under there,
Maybe you'll find Jimmy Hoffa.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2011   #16

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Swifty.

Quote:
our landlord has insurance on everything so hes covering everything seems to be alright now
I hope that is true, but landlord insurance usually only covers the landlord's losses, not the tenant's. A renter usually requires having their own insurance to cover their losses.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2011   #17

Windows 7 x64 Home Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I hope that is true, but landlord insurance usually only covers the landlord's losses, not the tenant's. A renter usually requires having their own insurance to cover their losses.
Nothing of our own personal items were lost, one of my roommates has insurance and covers up to 45,000 dollars, everything else was the landlords losses.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2011   #18

Black Label 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Sorry to hear that, good thing it didn't happen 5 minutes later, after you had all left!
Seriously. I know that sucked, but it could have sucked a gazillion times more. Last year I was examining the water line of one of the toilets at our house, had not turned off the water yet, I was just checking to see what size it was so I would get the right kind of replacement at Home Depot. I barely touched the thing, didn't unscrew it, didn't even want to unscrew it, I just wanted to see what was written on the paper taped to the hose, and it popped off. I guess it hadn't been changed in decades, and water started shooting all over the bathroom. Our house was built about 40 years ago, so there is no main line cutoff inside. It's outside by the curb. So I tried to screw the line back on and it wouldn't go, it was like a damn Three Stooges episode. I was absolutely drenched, like I'd just jumped in the pool. So I had to run to the @#$%! garage, get the water key, run out the @#$%! front door, open the box and turn it off. By the time I did all this, our bathroom and laundry room and part of the kitchen was flooded. I couldn't believe how fast that water was coming out.

Minimal damage to the wood floors, thankfully, but I feel your pain, Swifty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #19

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
...I barely touched the thing, didn't unscrew it, didn't even want to unscrew it, I just wanted to see what was written on the paper taped to the hose, and it popped off. I guess it hadn't been changed in decades, and water started shooting all over the bathroom. Our house was built about 40 years ago, so there is no main line cutoff inside. It's outside by the curb. So I tried to screw the line back on and it wouldn't go, it was like a damn Three Stooges episode. I was absolutely drenched, like I'd just jumped in the pool. So I had to run to the @#$%! garage, get the water key, run out the @#$%! front door, open the box and turn it off. By the time I did all this, our bathroom and laundry room and part of the kitchen was flooded...
A youtube moment if there ever was one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #20

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

If the water causes those floor boards to warp, the landlord may need to use Squeeeeek No More to keep the boards from squeaking...either that or lay a new floor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33