Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Question about being a IT

08 Jul 2009   #1

windows 7 7137 x64
 
 
Question about being a IT

i have several questions about being an IT. First im a high school student and i would like to know what exactly an IT does. I know that many of you have been or are Its so much help would be appreciated. Also another question is do ITs need to know how to code.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

It's rather large. You can either be one or more of those :
- Programmer
- Network manager
- Software & Hardware manager
- Help desk
- Database manager
- Database programmer
- Web Designer
- Webmaster
I'm pretty sure that I missed some.

I will be an IT myself. I'd like to be in the Help Desk/Software and Hardware manager (I just need a job lol)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lebon14 View Post
It's rather large. You can either be one or more of those :
- Programmer
- Network manager
- Software & Hardware manager
- Help desk
- Database manager
- Database programmer
I'm pretty sure that I missed some.

I will be an IT myself. I'd like to be in the Help Desk/Software and Hardware manager (I just need a job lol)
I am an IT (bachelor's in CIS) and I love it...I run a Help Desk at a UNIV and the job never gets old...helping people is just my thing...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
IT

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by l337 View Post
i have several questions about being an IT. First im a high school student and i would like to know what exactly an IT does. I know that many of you have been or are Its so much help would be appreciated. Also another question is do ITs need to know how to code.
Hi

IT is short for information technology. Its kind of a catchall for various things. Programmers are in it and they need to know how to code. I spent a long time in IT but never had the patience or skills to program.

Hope this helps

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #5

windows 7 7137 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Hi

IT is short for information technology. Its kind of a catchall for various things. Programmers are in it and they need to know how to code. I spent a long time in IT but never had the patience or skills to program.

Hope this helps

Ken
that does help thanks so you dont have to code if you dont want to, btw what did you do as a IT
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #6

windows 7 7137 x64
 
 

- Network manager
- Software & Hardware manager
- Help desk
- Database manager
those seem intresting, what do each do exactly, such as if you are one what do you do daily
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #7

Windows 7 7600.16384 x64
 
 

there is also client/server support. I have works both as a System Admin managing servers and Client Services, managing Desktops. The first natural step wopuld be a technical support position so that you an see all aspect of the organization, theuir needs, and the users. Thsi gives you a broad range of IT knowledge.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #8

Windows 7 Build 7600 Laptop and desktop. Also OSX 10.5.7 and 10.6 Snow on Laptop
 
 

You can work in iT and have various job titles within iT but you are not an iT. lol As stated earlier by ZigZag iT stands for Information Technology.
I have worked in iT for 20 years+,doing anything from being a Technician to Help desk support to Network specialist along with all sorts of management possitions.
I have a PhD. in computer science so had to have an understanding of programming skills but never enjoyed programming really as was never that good so never used it within my career life.
I then a couple of years back had an injury to my spine that after multiple opperations has left me disabled so had to give up work for a while so everything I do now is just small scale from home really as can't lift anymore etc. But always here to help if I can.

So as to the question do you have to program, no you definately don't have to.

if you really want to get into iT then try taking a job as a technical engineer or just plain technicain as probably one of the easier jobs to start out with and you will learn a lot that way. Another option is help desk although most of that these day is from a manual so hard to say how much practical you actually learn.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #9

windows 7 7137 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Studulike View Post
You can work in iT and have various job titles within iT but you are not an iT. lol As stated earlier by ZigZag iT stands for Information Technology.
I have worked in iT for 20 years+,doing anything from being a Technician to Help desk support to Network specialist along with all sorts of management possitions.
I have a PhD. in computer science so had to have an understanding of programming skills but never enjoyed programming really as was never that good so never used it within my career life.
I then a couple of years back had an injury to my spine that after multiple opperations has left me disabled so had to give up work for a while so everything I do now is just small scale from home really as can't lift anymore etc. But always here to help if I can.

So as to the question do you have to program, no you definately don't have to.

if you really want to get into iT then try taking a job as a technical engineer or just plain technicain as probably one of the easier jobs to start out with and you will learn a lot that way. Another option is help desk although most of that these day is from a manual so hard to say how much practical you actually learn.
im sorry to hear that, what job did you enjoy the most
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #10

windows 7 7137 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 7echno7im View Post
there is also client/server support. I have works both as a System Admin managing servers and Client Services, managing Desktops. The first natural step wopuld be a technical support position so that you an see all aspect of the organization, theuir needs, and the users. Thsi gives you a broad range of IT knowledge.
I will do that, is it easy to advance in this career, or does it take years to move from one title to another
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Question about being a IT
Thread Forum
Solved Thermal Paste Question..(Noobish Question) PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Answer Question, Ask Question. Chillout Room
Solved Logitech 5.1 surround question and soundcard question IDT and Realtek Sound & Audio
Question BSOD Help and Support
ram question General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33